MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Descent chronograph for $150?

Boolit Master

Descent chronograph for $150?

I'm looking to buy a chrony and I need some advice. I've got $150 or so dollars and would like a chrony that works in full sun. A detachable face to bring to the bench would be nice as well.

What brands do you guys use? Anything I should know?

Thanks for the help!
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy
    Do not buy the rcbs!! I did and man what a Disappointment! The whole case came apart about the 5th time setting it up ill have to make a new case for it or toss it and buy a new one
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lka View Post
    Do not buy the rcbs!! I did and man what a Disappointment! The whole case came apart about the 5th time setting it up ill have to make a new case for it or toss it and buy a new one
    Wow. That was my first one. That's why I'm looking for a descent one. Not cr@p.
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

For me, chronographs are like electronic scales and micrometers: buy a cheap one and you've bought a cheap piece of equipment. I've had my PACT for over 20 years and it still works flawlessly.

Boolit Buddy

I didn't buy the Pact due to my lousy support experience with my Pact scale. I bought one of these after reading reviews and am happy. It doesn't put the controls on the bench as you desire without buying either the pc software or the remote but the display is very readable from the bench. My needs were simple but I still may buy the software at some point. I paid $99 on sale a few years back. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/852...al-chronograph
    Paul

My early model PACT screens were ***. The CHrony line has the worst screens of any on the market. If I did not have an Oehler, the CED would be the best bang for the buck IMO.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

FWIW, I have a Chrony beta master and I've been happy with it. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Man

I bought the competition electronics pAL model and its OK does not work great in full sun. And I shot the damn thing the 3rd time I used it.
    Paul
    "The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizard333 View Post
    Wow. That was my first one. That's why I'm looking for a descent one. Not cr@p.
    Lol, Did you have a bad experience too?
    Hope for change.

Boolit Master

Yep. The wind got the best if mine. One tumble and the case disintegrated. Waste of a hundred bucks.

Benjamin Franklin

another vote for the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono. I've had one for over 20 years. It's been shot, the arms the stick up have been shot repeatedly, it's blown over in the wind countless times. I've had to pop the top and hot glue the boards back in several times, but it still keeps perfect speed. I'm USPSA shooter that uses a chrono a LOT!!! and this thing rocks. If I were smart, I'd replace the steel arms with wood or plastic so when I shot them it wouldn't knock the boards out of place, but I'm not.... The new one can be hooked to a computer to download the results with an extra cable. If I'm not mistaken, combined they fit your budget. The CED have about a 2 year life span from what friends that have bought them have told me.

Boolit Master
    The expensive ones gut, skin and taste just like the cheap ones.

Over the years, I've used several types because they were handy and could borrow them anytime- some were top-o-the-line brands and models. The display unit for the bench is just something else to fool around and piddle with. After all, at 15 feet it's not too hard to see the display on the unit itself. I bought the cheapest, most basic Chrony brand I could find a few years ago for $79- the F-1. Has operated flawlessly since. Treat them like any electronics. Learn how to use them, don't shoot them and most will do fine.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

I have had a CED for 5 or so years and am happy with it so far. The only problem is gale force winds come up suddenly when you set it up!
    Jay
    "The .30-06 is never a mistake." Townsend Whelen

"THESE are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands by it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph."
    Thomas Paine

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    I bought the cheapest, most basic Chrony brand I could find a few years ago for $79- the F-1. Has operated flawlessly since. Treat them like any electronics. Learn how to use them, don't shoot them and most will do fine.
    I also get reliable readings from a Chrony F-1, and I bought mine used.
    With the addition of a homemade pushbutton switch it will also give up all of those other numbers for a string ... like Hi, Lo, Average, Standard Deviation, and Exteme Spread.

But, about that 'descent chronograph' ...
    Is that one which measures the speed of a bullet going straight down?

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post

But, about that 'descent chronograph' ...
    Is that one which measures the speed of a bullet going straight down?

CM
    Subtle, CM, subtle.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

I was always told the RCBS work good in the sunlight. but the plastic case falls apart if I had one I would silicone it together before it broke. One guy told me it worked as good as his old pact 35. I may have been told wrong.

Boolit Master
    never had a problem with the chrony.

Boolit Master
    Save some of the budget for a Good Tripod. Heavy is better or hang sandbags from the centerpost.

Chrony Beta Master here. It was shot twice and left for dead. After 4 hours of intense surgery it lives but will never fold again!
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 06-05-2013 at 10:43 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    I have an f1 Chrony. I used it to claim the title that I brag about in my signature. It worked last time I used it. If it doesn't work next time I take it I might shoot it agian. Sometimes the things respond to threats. When you get a new one, set it up, wave your firearm of choice at it and read it the riot act. It can't hurt.
    Closest recorded range Chrony kill (3 feet with witnesses)

Moderator Emeritus
    CED Millenium has worked well for me over the years, I also rate the Steinert acoustic chrono as it is easy to use especially in windy conditions as it has no sky screens or electric string, a bit beyond your budget though.

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks