Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .490 Round Ball for 45 70?

Boolit Buddy

.490 Round Ball for 45 70?

I know some of you have used a .490 RB, sized it to .459 and shot it in the 45 70.
    I have some .490 round balls that I cast from WW many years ago. I tried sizing them in a Lee sizer die. I had to hammer the ball into the sizer die with my 16oz hammer, just to get it started, and then hammer on the steel push pin to drive it through the die. Good grief, it was a lot of hammering! Maybe the 20year old balls were as hard as rock?.....sure felt like it.

Pure lead would go through easier, even then trying to size them on the RCBS luber sizer from .490 down to .459 seems like a long shot.

How are you guys tackling this?

Boolit Master

I would re-melt and cut 50/50 with pure lead and re-cast. If that is not the option then lube balls and sizer. Lube internals of push thru sizer. Make sure there is a bevel of some sort to allow ball to be started. Try a countersink. What else can you possibly do? Hope this helps...

Boolit Buddy
    dunno........
    I read that others are using a .490 ball for the 45 70, but nobody else has mentioned having to use a hammer to drive the balls through a sizer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Pushing a .490 RB through a .458 sizing die is over .030 interference fit. Lube the balls and the die and use a single stage press. The drive piston is not designed to be beat on with a hammer anymore than screw drivers are designed to be used as chisels.

The RBs will come out sized with a flat bottom. Put the flat bottom in the case, push it in 'till the ogive of the top comes flush with the case mouth and give it a LIGHT crimp. You're done.

Boolit Buddy
    I`m not sure the Dillon 550 is up to the task. I tried it with the WW balls I had on hand, and chose to abort the sizing. I was putting way more pressure on the handle than what I felt comfortable doing.

I`ll look into getting a collar button mold made by Tom.

Boolit Grand Master
    I use .457 RB's.

Boolit Grand Master

I got Tom to scale a .45 cal. TC lightweight 165 gr. to .44 and it is a great little boolit ~ great mould too.

You could get the same in 0.460" to suit your .45-70:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-165C-D.png

In fact Tom has quite a number of lightweight boolit moulds that would suit your needs.

Longbow

PM Mihec about his collar button mold for the 45-70... I recently bought one from this overrun stock (he still had a couple left).. I have cast some up but not tried them yet... ~145grn @.460 dia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb1_zps3cf4ff3c.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	72285

Boolit Grand Master
    I used two pieces of 1/2 inch aluminum plate to roll my .490 balls down to a more manageable size. place a ball on the bottom plate, cover it with the top plate and roll it back and forth, starting with moderate force, and increasing your weight on the plate as you go. I was using commercial soft lead balls and they squashed down pretty quickly. I did about 50 in an hour or so, they then went through a .459 sizer easily. Combination reloading technique and upper body work out.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I got Tom to scale a .45 cal. TC lightweight 165 gr. to .44 and it is a great little boolit ~ great mould too.

You could get the same in 0.460" to suit your .45-70:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=45-165C-D.png

In fact Tom has quite a number of lightweight boolit moulds that would suit your needs.

Longbow

I was looking at that mold in .460
    What weight does it drop for you?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio View Post
    PM Mihec about his collar button mold for the 45-70... I recently bought one from this overrun stock (he still had a couple left).. I have cast some up but not tried them yet... ~145grn @.460 dia

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb1_zps3cf4ff3c.jpg 
Views:	279 
Size:	64.2 KB 
ID:	72285
    Nice! Do they drop from the mold easy or is some determined tapping required?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I used two pieces of 1/2 inch aluminum plate to roll my .490 balls down to a more manageable size. place a ball on the bottom plate, cover it with the top plate and roll it back and forth, starting with moderate force, and increasing your weight on the plate as you go. I was using commercial soft lead balls and they squashed down pretty quickly. I did about 50 in an hour or so, they then went through a .459 sizer easily. Combination reloading technique and upper body work out.
    That's how I make slugs to do bore slugging, lol. Not sure I want to do 100 of those however.........

Boolit Grand Master
    I used .457 RB in mine. No sizing, just tumble in LLA. About 10 gr of Unique and 3 RB is quite fun.

I have a collar button mould. Shoots well but holy cow does it use a ton of lube!

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Simply put your hard 0.490" round balls in a oven proof container, place in a 435 degree oven for about an hour, turn off oven and let them cool in the oven. They will be soft for a few days (size them in the first couple of days), then return to the alloys air cooled hardness in a couple of weeks.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    They come out pretty easily. Use a cheap viscous lube......... they're a hoot with BP.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokerider View Post
    They drop easy

I've had no problem sizing .490's to .452, in a push threw type die, for my 1858, cap & ball, but mine are straight lead. I make my own dies with a long taper. A STP or old RCBS type lube will help with your harder alloy. Make sure both the die and RB are lubed when you start.

Frank

Boolit Grand Master

Spokerider:

Mine drop at 0.433" and 165 grs. I had originally wanted a lighter weight, longer bearing surface and deeper lube groove more collar button like but Tom has limitations on lube groove depth. Anyway, when I asked him he was confident that the shorter boolit with shallower lube groove would suit my purposes and he was right. It is an excellent mould and the boolits shoot very well.

Tom scaled mine down from his .45 cal. 165 gr. mould. He can make whatever diameter you need.

I found that 10 grs. of 700X was a bit "poopier" than I had anticipated and they scooted right along with a healthy "CRACK". No pressure signs, just a much sharper crack and flatter trajectory than I was expecting. Probably 6 to 8 grs. would have been more in line with expectations. In any case 10 grs. of 700X and 165 grs. of lead versus 24 grs. of IMR4227 and 250 grs. of lead makes a real difference in both recoil and consumption of lead and powder.

I suppose I drifted off topic here a bit since you were actually asking about sizing down rounds balls. However, I started using .445" round balls sized to suit my .44 Marlin and while they worked well enough, I decided a lightweight boolit mould made more sense so I talked to Tom. That's how I wound up with my 165 gr. mould and no regrets. The boolits are more accurate and can be pushed faster with good accuracy.

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    Great advice, thanks guys.

I decided to give the .490 RB another go.......... I cast some pure lead balls and sized them on the .462 Lee push through sizer........yes, it was a grunt, and then sized them one more time on the luber / sizer to .459 It seemed the pure lead and fresh cast balls did make a difference with the effort required, that and the alox lube helped.

So now it`s onto powder choice. Ideally, I would like the RB to print as close as possible to the POI that I have the contender / Skinner peep sight, sighted in for, for the 360gr hunting load I have developed. If I can get the RB close at 25m, I`ll be happy. Dunno if this will work or not, but I figure with varying the powder charge, I can move the POI around some.

Bullseye? Unique? Are either position sensitive? Fastest powder I have on hand is W231 and HS6.

Boolit Master
    if you have one of Miha's Webley hollow base boolit moulds in .457 dia., they work quite well for squib loads in my 45-70's.