RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data

Thread: Info wanted on Win or Browning Traditional Hunter in .38-55

Boolit Buddy

Info wanted on Win or Browning Traditional Hunter in .38-55

Hi folks, I've been looking for a Winchester or Browning Traditional Hunter. I believe they are also marketed as the "Limited Series" highwall by Winchester. This is the 28 inch octagonal barrel. I found a couple new on line but my budget can't handle the truth. Is a price between $950 and $1,100 reasonable for a used one? Found 'lots' of .45-70 (and a really nice one here on Boolits!) in this range but I'm set on a .38-55.
    Any and all opinions appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Buzz

Boolit Bub
    http://22three.com/detail.php?item=4639

He had a few in stock a couple weeks ago..

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Taco - $1,400 is probably good for factory new but $200 over my allowance.

Boolit Bub
    I paid just over $1200...NIB...steep for me..but I have been eyeballin this model since 2011...dont see them veryboften...and they usually are around 14-1500...

Jeff

Boolit Master

I have a Win HiWall (Miroku) in 38-55 that I bought about 2 years ago. It is the Traditional Hunter with the 28" octagon barrel. I shoots way better than I thought possible with the original sights. I did use the tang mounted peep to shoot the best groups at 100 yards. I'm serious when I say 3 boolits can be made to touch with this rifle. I'd love to put a traditional scope on it some day. I got a 2 cav mold from LBT, a 250 grain LFN GC. Only boolit I've ever shot in it. What fun. One day, I'm gonna have to take a deer with this rifle, just for the nostalga. Mike PS - I paid about 900 bux for it, new in box.
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Buddy

Captaint - what dia did you size the boolit to?

saw your other post - sized to .379 Care to share the load info? Powder/primer
    Last edited by Buzz64; 05-28-2013 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Additional comment

Boolit Master
    The .38/55 Browning Traditional Hunter is a nice gun. I own one,and have shot another .They both shoot fantastic with the RCBS 250 or Lyman 250.I have gotten the best accuracy with Rel 7.Get one if you can, you will love it.

Boolit Master
    Captaint- After purchasing my rifle in '97, I fired many cast bullet loads through it using four bullets and a variety of powders during load development. I used the factory tang sight only. I finally attached a 6X scope and fired a few groups. Surprisingly, there was little or no difference in group sizes, but all shooting was at 100 yards. I tried the same with my .32-40 Traditional Hunter and got the same results.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Clay - I am on the GB for the Ranch Dog TLC380-250-RF that is supposed to drop at .380.

I have a 28" Miroku 38-55 Traditional Hunter. Love it! I put a Browning soule front and rear on and shot at Quigley a couple years. I used a Saeco 300 grain and 5744 (velocity is close to 1400 fps) and ended up mid pack shooting against Sharps rifles, larger calibers and more experienced shooters. Even in the cross wind I hit the 800 yard buffalo! I'm totally sold on the 38-55 and now have 2 Marlin CB's and 22" Miroku Short Hunter. I got lucky and can load a .380 diameter in long Starline brass that works well in all 4 guns. Mortgage the house, sell the kids, you won't regret a 38-55 Traditional Hunter!

Boolit Buddy

Well I did it. Have a Winchester Traditional Hunter on the way. I have two hundered brand new Winchester cases. 2.085 length. Guess I'll have to wait until the gun arrives and slug it to see if my guess of .379 will load and chamber. That is IF I can find some powder. Checked every shop within 50 miles and nobody has (or expects to get) 5744 or RL-7. May have to expand my library of powders to something I can find that works in the .38-55. Now if it ran on green dot or clays I'd be set. Reload tons of shotgun and have plenty of that on hand!

Boolit Master

I have had mine for about a year.

Here are the stats:

At throat.
    Bore Dia .368
    Grove Dia .376 (I size .377)
    Max chamber at throat:
    .396 No-Go Can't close action
    .3955 Snug fit
    .395 Easy contact
    .394 No contact.
    Average neck thickness measured = .09
    .395 - .09 - .09 = .377 maximum bullet diameter.
    Seems to work with case length <= 2.079
    Will not close action with case length = 2.080

Seating Depth:
    Lyman 375248BV touches the lands at an overall cartridge length of 2.593. Slight engraving of the front band at 2.603.
    This leaves the entire crimping grove out of the case but all the lubrication groves are inside the case.

Max length 2.54

Lyman 375449 Modified to 216 grains by cutting off the bottom band.
    Touches the lands at an overall seating depth of 2.587.
    This leaves the entire crimping grove out of the case but all the lubrication groves are inside the case.

Lee 250 gr.
    Max OAL = 2.54
    Any longer tnd the action will not close.
    At this length, the bullet is engaging the lands.
    This leaves the entire crimping groove exposed.
    First reload: .22 Hornet. 1956.
    More at: http://reloadingtips.com/

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the
    government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian."
    - Henry Ford

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Waco!
    Good info - just need to get mine and load up a few 'dummies' and see what I have. Your info will be a great starting point / reference. Appreciate it.