Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 45ACP leading like crazy - what am I doing wrong

Boolit Master
    I run 4.2 gr BE, .452 and 50/50 lube for great results in my 1911 Kimber and Glock21SF.
    I also started with the Lee factory crimp die and ditched it.

Boolit Grand Master

NRA 50-50 or LBT soft blue are known good lubes in my experience. If I had to stick with
    one, it would be the old soft, sticky NRA 50-50 which has been supplied by many companies
    over the decades.

I have to respect Larry's viewpoint, and certainly the alloy and lube need to be checked, too.

In any case, the 1911 is not usually a candidate for difficulty with boolits. Something is well
    outside of the normal parameters, it is just a matter of finding what it is. Typically the
    "works well" zone for .45 ACP is pretty large.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Bullet lube for the 45 ACP isn't hyper critical. I have always uses a beeswax and Vaseline mix (about 65/35). I have no experience with the super lubes in this round but hold the opinion they are not needed.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Master

I guess I got lucky. When I started using cast boolits, I got a Lyman Cast Boolit Manual, a Speer loading manual, a Lee pot, and a Lee 6 cavity mold for the .452, 200gr microgroove boolit. I did the same for my .32 revolter. I used a mix of 10lbs WW and 1lb of 50/50. I never had to size for the .45. I did have to size for the .32. However, I have never had any leading problems. I remember that it's been awhile since I cleaned them, so I got both guns out, just now, and checked them. They were a bit dirty, but had no detectable leading. When I ran a bore brush through them, a bit of grey/brown dust come out. If there is leading there, I can't see it, or recognize it. That's my limited experience with cast boolits in handguns. Trying to make cast boolits for rifles, but, not shot any, yet. I hope you find your solution.

Boolit Master

Oh, I used Lee Alox for lube.

Boolit Master

truckjohn; PM on the way...
    EW

Boolit Master

Microcrystaline wax 1 pound and one teaspoon of Jojoba oil takes care of my 32 auto--40 S&W---
    45 ACP and the 44 mag, simple and it works. I just don't understand some of the lube concoctions I see, 6--7--8 different ingredients.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Grand Master

I had the same problem with my 9mm’s due to two die related issues.

First the brass was sizing the bullet due to an undersized expander. I replaced the stock expanding die with a Lyman M die.

My second issue was the taper crimp die was also sizing the brass and bullet before it started to taper crimp. The die was defective so the maker replaced it for free.

Pull some bullet and see if they are undersize.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have railed against the Lee pistol type FCD for several years, and still many stand by them
    as wonderful devices.

Thanks for reporting one more proven case (of MANY) where these infernal devices are CAUSING
    the problem.

I've been told that if you knock out the sizing ring it will be a good TC die.

Bill
    Correct me if I am wrong, but, wasn't the Lee FCD made for use with 'J' boolits? Since those things have a harder shell than cast boolits, seems to me that they would tend to squash cast boolits, making the FCD counter-productive with cast boolits....

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    In the early 1400s the "concensus" was the earth was flat............A "concensus" does not make fact. Let me say again; don't get wrapped around the axle over exoteric stuff you would have alread corrected. The problem is simple, the solution is simple.

Again;

You've switched bullets, sizings and powders and still get leading. That leaves one or both of 2 things; the alloy or the lube.

Suggest you add 2% tin the the WW alloy let the bullets AC for 7 - 10 days before lubing, sizing or use. WW alloy can be "iffy" depending on the quality of the WWs used. Mostly that alloy is deficient in tin. Size .451 or .452 as both are standard for 45 ACP and should do fine

I'll suggest trying the LLA then or switch to BAC or another soft NRA 50/50 formula lube.

Suggest as others you up the charge of Bullseye to 4 - 5 gr (4.5 gr works) simply because every 45 ACP has always shot much better in that range than below it with many of those bullets.

Larry Gibson
    Add into the mix at least 3 different commercial cast/swaged lead bullets that came pre-lubed.... I even tried TL'ing the Hornady swaged lead bullets in LLA..... The LLA treatment made them *Better* than running them dry/waxed like they come... but I still got leading in the first inch of the barrel....

Haven't actually got back down to try loading and pulling down... Will post more once I do that...

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    A friend had a leading accuracy issue in his bullseye pistol. End result after much pondering was that he didn't open the case mouth enough in the expanding/belling process. Once the die was run down a little and the expander opened the case mouth up more the leading went away.

May not be the problem you have but....
    I had this happen too.

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by destrux View Post
    I had this happen too.
    Me too! But I'm really green at this and still learning... Have learned a LOT from this forum and from this thread!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, Lee pistol type FCD is a problem with boolits, unless the case and boolit combo do not touch the
    carbide post sizing ring. If they do, you will reduce your carefully sized boolit in the case and
    wreck the load.

Avoid the Lee pistol FCD with boolits. Rifle FCD is totally different and a good tool.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.