Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: DIPPING mold into Vat of Lead

Boolit Bub

DIPPING mold into Vat of Lead

Well, the title pretty much sums it up.
    I have a Lee 220Vt pot...but no 220 line convenient to bench.
    So while I wait for the electrician to get off his *** (me) I was wondering if I can dip the mold into a vat or big pot to fill the molds?

Now, I know.... I'm an idiot. I'm simplistic and lazy and a sure fire bet to win the weekly doofus award..

A simple shake, or nod of the head..or "wow, I guess that wouldn't hurt the mold" or "Man, u r a visionary" will suffice.

I was thinking this because u know the zombies will be coming mostly if the power is out thus the 220 is poof. It'd be nice to know that in certain circumstances, yes using my wifes hand-me-down black chicken stew pot would work.

I was also thinking that doing this would help keep the mold and the lead at the same temp, thus helping eliminate the 'wrinkly' boolits.

Sitting back, flame retardant clothing on (notice not --PROOF). Check. Clown mask on. check
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Banned

First, you don't want the mold and the lead at the same temp! the mold runs 200 or so degrees cooler than the lead.

Why not take the clown mask and flame retardant suit off, get off the electrician's **** and do the wiring

Try it and report back. I am certain we would all be interested in what you learn.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

The big dipper? Yeah, it's right up there next to the little dipper aye.

I used to be a big dipper (Red Man plug) but now I'm a no dipper.

That chaw was racist anyhow...
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    Try it and report back. I am certain we would all be interested in what you learn.
    YES WE WILL, and I'd like to see photos also
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Bub
    Ohhhhh is THAT what the ladle is for...I thought it was for Internet casting ninnys that forget that maybe I got other things on my mind....and yes, I shoulda remembered that...so the hard boots in my **** from you'uns is deserved...

As far as the electrician and his big fat rump... well, I ain't certified...but Ive stayed at a Holiday Inn

So, by all the Johnson (juussst kidding)-in-cheek comments, I assume the mold and the lead combination would introduce me to the famous fairy?
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

From my limited casting experience, descriptors like impractical, messy, wasteful and cumbersome come to mind. Don't know about the fairy in this case, although some good splatter is possible.
    A bear, however hard he tries, grows tubby without exercise.

In Remembrance

You could use a large spoon to dip and pour the lead. I think a few times of casting that way would motivate you to get 'er done.

Boolit Grand Master

The mold has to be cooler than the hot alloy or else the lead in the mold and on the sprue plate will take an extremely long time to solidify. My first "ladle" was a gravy ladle out of the kitchen drawer that I bent a pour spout on it. Still have it and use it over the propane torch to make lead slugs for measuring the bore of a barrel.
    Check out a thrift store or 99 cent store in your area for a spoon or ladle.

Unless you really want a 220v unit you can replace the heating coil in it for around $10 IIRC. Check Midwayusa.com

Boolit Master

I'm waiting for the pics to be shown of you dipping the mold into the melt to fill it!!
    Then I'll be waiting on the thread.... How do I get this off my mold??

Boolit Bub
    Yeah yeah yeah.... I'm going to the ladle tech... u guys are so "in-the-box" ...And 41Mag...u know the answer...water...rinse it off with plenty of water. disclaimer..this is a joke. Do not rinse with water as tinsel fairy will visit promptly
    John Adams
    John Adams

This is even better than what I read on some other casting/reloading site! A fellow was telling others the way to water quench was by dipping the whole mold in the water. Combining the two ought to make a good steam bath.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    YES WE WILL, and I'd like to see photos also
    Please include the picture with the 'hunk' of lead in on hand and the propane torch in the other hand ... trying to 'liberate' the mold from the hunk of lead
    PS: Remyvtr, what brand of Scotch were you drinking to dream up this classic?
    Regards
    John

This is your chance to get out of the box, do it a different way, and tell all of us, just how retarded and stuck on same we are. Go ahead, boldly go where no man has gone before! Spread your wings, fly baby fly!
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

I really wann see someone try this.