WidenersInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which cleaning rod do you use?

Boolit Buddy
    Tipton. Great bearings in handle.

Boolit Mold
    I have a couple of Outers brass rods in 22 and 30 cal, a couple of Dewey rods in 30 and 22,as well as short 22 and 45 cal pistol size rods, but thd ones that make it to the range the most and are used the most are carbon fiber Tiptons in 22 and 30 cal also. I also use delrin bore guides for my bolt guns and will be looking to get some for my singles. I also use a bore snake for my Ruger Mk3 and a snake for my Garand for quick light cleaning.

Boolit Master
    On the breaks of the Ohio River South Central Indiana
    I have not found a problem using 1 piece stainless rods from Pro-Shot, I have 2, they don't flex enough to contact the bore if used with the correct jag, patch combination.

If you try to use a jag with more patch than what you need, that's when the rod flexes and rubs the bore, chamber, and causes wear.

If you have to clean from the muzzle a guide is a wise choice.

I like the Parker Hale type jags you can spear the corner of the patch and wrap the patch around the jag that way nothing but cloth contacts the bore. It's a little more tricky if you have to clean from the muzzle and takes more care as not to mar the crown.
    "NUTS" A. Clement McAullife

I spent 6 years in the Marine Corps( Semper Fi!) as an armorer with 2 of those years on a rifle and pistol team. I have seen a lot of different ways to do it.( Match shooters do not remove action from stock any more than necessary and clean rifle up side down)
    i really like the Otis pull through system for rifle barrels( the bore snakes are a good idea too) and prefer the Pro Shot stainless rods and products for handguns( built-in bore guide, good brushes, Parker Hale jags; no eyelet ****)
    The best thing to have on hand for gun cleaning is Kano Kroil, in my opinion. Not cheap, but cleans better than anything. It is not a lube( white lithium grease) or a preservative(Birchwood Casey shield/sheath) It will clean a high powered rifle of excess copper( Butch's Bore Shine will get ALL of it: good stuff!) or easily get lead out of a handgun barrel. Have used it for years and love it.

Boolit Master

Use fiberglass, brass and steel(GI) on my serious .30 Cal. rifles(all I have). Pistol and Revolvers get aluminum or brass .
    10-x

NRA Endowment
    H.R.M.S.
    N.F.A.C.
    RVN Veteran
    VFW
    "The short memories of the American voters is what keeps our politicians in office"------Will Rogers

Boolit Bub

I like one peice carbon fiber cleaning rods.

Boolit Buddy

Stainless steel when I use a rod.

Boolit Grand Master

I use the same GI 50 cal rod with centering adapters that I have used for the last 40 years. it still works and if I need to I can clean up to a 44" barrel.

Boolit Master
    I use an old Parker Hale rod on my Sharps ,but Tipton for everything else.