Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Wideners

Thread: What To Expect With Miroku/Browning 1895 .30-06?

Boolit Master

What To Expect With Miroku/Browning 1895 .30-06?

Today I was fortunate enough to pick up a mid-80s Miroku/Browning 1895 in .30-06. I doubt that it has 200 rounds through it and it's in very good to excellent condition and I got it at a good price from a private party.

I'm wondering what to expect as a reloader with this rifle. Will the brass stretch like other lever guns and need to be full length resized and trimmed, or can I segregate it for this gun and neck size only with trimming as required? The rifle was made for modern factory ammo, but what is a realistic load for the gun--how close to max velocity/pressure listed in current reloading manuals can one go without doing long term damage to the action?

All that being considered, I plan for this to be primarily a cast boolit gun using 185-210 grainers with H4895 and a Dacron puff filler. I know I have to slug the barrel, but in the short run should I plan to size at .309 or .310? All comments will be appreciated. GF

If that is the one from the outdoor trader I'm glad you got it. I offered some trades, but we didn't make a match. At least I won't have to keep seeing it reposted for sale. Enjoy.

Boolit Master
    Yes, that is the one. I think I'm really going to enjoy putting loads together for it. I just got an email that my Skinner barrel peep shipped today, so I'd better get some stuff loaded for a range trip later next week. GF

I would expect recoil....

Boolit Master
    Every group has at least one I guess. GF

I've had an attraction to the Win. 1895 that was a contract run for the Czar of Russia in 7.62X54R with it's bayonet attachment!

With That out of the way, I'd wouldn't throw any high loads thru a Win. lever gun even with modern steel, I'd stay mid of the range.

Boolit Grand Master

The 1895 was created for the more powerful rounds. Mine is in 405 Win. and I don't want to shoot it at full power very much! You can load the 30-06 to normal pressures in this rifle without concern. I don't know about case stretch in bottle neck cases - mine is straight.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    I know the original WInchester rifles gave problems when used with "normal" gov't issued ammunition, mostly headspace stuff. The rear lugs tend to allow stretch. Not sure if the "modern"made rifles suffer this. I have an old one in 405 WCF and keep the loads in the black powder range, 1500-1700fps. Be interested to hear what works for you.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.