Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starter Rifle for BPCRS

Boolit Grand Master

The H & R 71 looks a lot lke the Maynard rifles. http://www.civilwarguns.com/9804.html After the civil war Maynard rifles were popular with the buffalo hunters.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The H & R 71 looks a lot lke the Maynard rifles. http://www.civilwarguns.com/9804.html After the civil war Maynard rifles were popular with the buffalo hunters.
    That maynard makes my nose flair. Wow, what a beauty!

And the Wurfflein is wonderful, a real work of art.

I just love break open actions. I must be a sick puppy.
    Last edited by Texantothecore; 05-09-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    John two sets of NRA rules. the one you quoted part of is the BPTR rules, and that's why Dave Gullo can shoot his borchardt.
    The other set deals with sillouette and the things are different.
    There still is no NRA rifle snobbery . When the rules for the bpcrs game was set up they tried to include as much as was available.
    So there you go, it's your cause and your charge now to present the petition along with the accompanying research and documentation to the rules committee and get those rifles allowed, so the whining can cease and desist.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Looks about as much like each other as my first wife did to Samantha on Bewitched... They was both were blonde witches but that's another story for a different time.
    Notice how the action work different on the Maynard?

John your waffleiron is legal under the bpcrs rules and is specifically mentioned, as is the maynard.
    Check NRA.org go to the competitions pages and the rules are there in pdf, look under rifle sillouette to find the bpcr rules.

Boolit Master
    >>When the rules for the bpcrs game was set up they tried to include as much as was available. <<
    The game was deliberately set up to cater to those ate up with buffalo shooter nostalgia.
    Hence the targets cannot be knocked down with much less than a 400 grain 40 cal. regardless of the style of rifle action. Yeah I know there are some .38 cal users but there are no .32s that I know of.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    Missionary, thank you for including those of us who have Buff Classics. I see the Buff Classic as probably the most common BPCR gateway rifle. I suspect that many owners would love to be able to afford a Pedersoli or a Shiloh but the kids and the wife come first.

I would think that we would want to foster the sport by encouraging those who can't afford a 2,000 dollar rifle but who can afford a moderately priced H&R. I know that I am looking forward to my first Pedersoli in a few years (after the recession begins to be repaired) but I wouldn't mind competing now even if it was in a special class, say the "Gateway" class.

As far as the expense of sights, being more than the rifle, that is pretty common with scopes and because we can move the vernier from rifle to rifle it doesn't bother us one bit.

Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by EDG View Post
    >>When the rules for the bpcrs game was set up they tried to include as much as was available. <<
    The game was deliberately set up to cater to those ate up with buffalo shooter nostalgia.
    Hence the targets cannot be knocked down with much less than a 400 grain 40 cal. regardless of the style of rifle action. Yeah I know there are some .38 cal users but there are no .32s that I know of.
    That pretty much glosses right past those that are loading the 357 max case with a healthy dose of 3f and pushing a 250 gr bullet from rechambered 357 lowalls.
    The bpcrs targets are exactly the same as regular rifle targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    Missionary, thank you for including those of us who have Buff Classics. I see the Buff Classic as probably the most common BPCR gateway rifle. I suspect that many owners would love to be able to afford a Pedersoli or a Shiloh but the kids and the wife come first.

I would think that we would want to foster the sport by encouraging those who can't afford a 2,000 dollar rifle but who can afford a moderately priced H&R. I know that I am looking forward to my first Pedersoli in a few years (after the recession begins to be repaired) but I wouldn't mind competing now even if it was in a special class, say the "Gateway" class.

As far as the expense of sights, being more than the rifle, that is pretty common with scopes and because we can move the vernier from rifle to rifle it doesn't bother us one bit.

Just my 2 cents.
    I'ld be terribly surprised if there was a local range/club match that you could not go and compete in right now. The only thing is you won't get an NRA shooters classification.
    But then you could always petition the rules committee to make the necessary changes. Just get together with other like minded folks and get the work done.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Don McDowell View Post
    I'ld be terribly surprised if there was a local range/club match that you could not go and compete in right now. The only thing is you won't get an NRA shooters classification.
    But then you could always petition the rules committee to make the necessary changes. Just get together with other like minded folks and get the work done.
    I didn't know that the practice was to include other shooters in the line and I am thrilled that I bumped into this discussion as it will focus my efforts in the long distance shooting which I find fascinating. I don't particularly care if I win anything, I do care to not place last on every trip. LOL.

I have a Marbles sight to install on my buff and now it will happen next week.

Man, I can't wait to do this. Wow, what fun.

Thank you all for the surprising discussion.

Don't get to excited, it's doubtful the marbles sight will get you the elevation needed to reach the far targets.

Boolit Master
    Don't get to excited, it's doubtful the marbles sight will get you the elevation needed to reach the far targets.
    That's ok, this will be a work in progress for quite a while.

I have 3 shiloh rifles and the most I paid was $1100 for the most expensive one.. Just keep your eyes open.

Boolit Master
    And the 357 Max case is legal for what?
    Yes the targets are the same. Why make new targets to accommodate a 32-40?

That pretty much glosses right past those that are loading the 357 max case with a healthy dose of 3f and pushing a 250 gr bullet from rechambered 357 lowalls.
    The bpcrs targets are exactly the same as regular rifle targets.
    EDG

I have never seen any rifle snobbery at a BPCR match. When I first started (long long ago and far away). I was waiting the then mandatory 5 years for my Shiloh, but went to the local match to chat, see what I might learn etc. I was invited to shoot that day. I told the match director that all I had was a 30-40 kreg, he told me to bring it down the next match and shoot. He explained that I would not qualify for any ranking, but I was welcome to join in the fun. My kreg was mostly able to just scare rams. I often saw them quiver. Still I had my first taste of the sport, and had a lot of fun.

I think the rifle snobbery is more of a perception problem by non participants than an actual occurance. When you hear people talk about multi year waits for their rifle, and paying 2 or 3 grand for it, then forking over more for iron sights than most hunters will pay for their rifle, you just assume they are being snobs. But as Elmer Keith said, "It ain't bragging if it's true."