RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which cleaning rod do you use?

Boolit Master

Which cleaning rod do you use?

I'm sure that all of us use a rod guide and clean from the chamber; my question is, what material is your favorite rod made from?
    For a while it seemed as if a steel rod was anathema, but I know that Dewey sells them along with their other rods; it seems to me that if the steel rod was problematic, then we wouldn't find them for sale.

Boolit Master
    I have a couple coated rods- Dewey and Accupro. A bunch of one-piece and sectional non coated- SS, brass. A one-piece homemade carbon rod.
    I use the Dewey and Accupro the most.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

I use Tipton rods. Have four total. Two short and two long in both small and large diameters.

I use a weed-whacker pull-through for maintenance cleaning on my CB shooting rifles. I use Alox/paste wax tumble lube so the bores always seem shiny and the pull-through patches remove powder residue.

For a new-to-me old rifle, I clean the first time with a brass rod and bronze or nylon brush from the breech. If it's really bad, I have a DIY electronic cleaning rod.

My rule of thumb is to clean as little as possible while maintaining accuracy and protecting the bore.

Boolit Master
    I push wet and dry patches through with a ProShot stainless 22 cal rod.
    With the larger calibers it is easy to push them through without the rod contacting the bore.
    The rods are wiped before pushing them through each time.
    EDG

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    I use Tipton rods. Have four total. Two short and two long in both small and large diameters.
    Ditto for me. I love these carbon fiber rods.
    Courage is being scared to death-but saddling up anyway. John Wayne

A man has to do what a man has to do. John Wayne

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I prefer the Tipton carbon fiber rods. Have a dewey, but it's an older one and the adaptor broke so I can't get tips for it any more, and most of the coating has worn off.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

I was coached by an accomplished high-power competitor who preferred a large diameter steel rod, and presented me with one he'd had made. He disliked plastic coated rods because he believed grit could embed in the coating. The large diameter rod provided adequate bore clearance but helped prevent the rod from bending and rubbing the lands. The polished steel he believed, when it did touch the lands, rode them very lightly without abrading.

He seemed right to me then and still does, rest his soul. He'd been a gun-company engineer and on close terms with the best barrel makers in the US and I think knew what he was talking about.

Also high-power shooters from the M1A era avoided cleaning unless some reason appeared. And were/are almost fanatic about not removing the action from the bedding unless absolutely necessary, and cleaning the rifle inverted to keep solvents out of the bedding.

I use Hoppes stainless rods. Under ten bucks at Natchez the last time I bought any.

Aside from the outrageous prices, carbon fiber rods are too flexible, and if they get nicked, they splinter, the splinters are nasty. Once they splinter, you have to throw them away. A stainless rod can easily be repolished if it gets a nick.

Coated rods, despite the claims, DO pick up grit. First hand experience.

I use home-made Delrin chamber and muzzle guides always. Use home-brewed Delrin jags.

Good point about the large diameter rod.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Grand Master
    When I was in the Navy, I used somewhere around a bazillion steel rod sections, in everything from 5.56 to 12 ga (I really despise the 5/8" wooden shotgun rods they used to issue).

I have always read that aluminum rods would imbed grit, then the author would recommend a plastic coated rod. Didn't make sense to me, the plastic coating is even softer than aluminum.

I know have a a couple of Dewy one piece stainless rods that I use.

Robert

In case you have any, the square M-60 receiver brush really works well for a 12 ga bore brush.

R

I use hard wood dowels that I chuck in a rotating bearing handle I made. The tips range from a simple dremel cut slot or a lathe turned jag profile. Some tips I have drilled and epoxied a female aluminum 8x32 threaded ferrule to attach tips to. I only use wood in my handguns also.
    Ramar
    AMERICAN EX-PRISONERS OF WAR -- NON SOLUM ARMIS

Boolit Bub
    I also use all SS rods. 3 Dewey & 1 Pro Shot.
    Coffee fueled, Beer cooled!

Boolit Master
    This is what I've been using for several years now.

http://www.otistec.com/pc_product_de...717B4E656E7CDA
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

I use pull thru bore snakes most of the time now - I still have B&M SS rods in 30 and 22 caliber and I have a long Dewey around here somewhere that I have not used in a long time.

Boolit Master

wow, no brass love. All my rods are brass. 100%. Homemade from brass stock, threaded on each side for jags.

ONE I cut in half and threaded to make a collapsible model for my range bag. Everything else is full length in the safe. sized for each gun.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a Caldwell Lead Sled bolted to my bench. I strap the rifle in the Lead Sled and pull the patch through with a doubled section of either 100 lb. test monofilament or .075 weed eater line. I have learned how wide to cut the patches so they go through really tight.

Boolit Bub
    I like the Otis cleaning snake, if that what it is called.

Perma-Banned

i started with dewey and still have a couple but prefer the tiptons. They are really nice.

I used to use steel rods and then coated rods... chucked em... use Bore Snakes in everything!
    NRA Life Member
    Hunter
    Shooter
    Love reloading... Life is what YOU make of it!

Boolit Master
    I like the bore snakes for a quick clean up, but to get leading out or copper fouling I haven't had much luck with them. I've got a brass rod for heavier cleaning but it does flex and I am not entirely satisfied with it. I think the polished steel rod is the way to go.
    I was a dog on a short chain.
    Now there's no chain.
    Jim Harrison