RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2

Thread: Custom flinter

In Remembrance

Custom flinter

I looked at a beautiful flintlock today made by a Don Smith in alaska. Has anyone ever heard of this guy. this was what I have always thought of as a kentucky long rifle and the wood was just beautiful. She was at the gun show and the guy wanted 775 for it which I assume was a decent price, but the lock was on the wrong side and it was a 54 and I am wanting to move up to 58.

I also looked at a hopkins and allen 45 under hammer that was missing the forearm for 175 and an older unfinished kit 54 for 150, again with the lock on the wrong side, but for 150 I started to pick it up anyway to play with finishing it, there was no manufacturers name on this one.

Boolit Master
    If that Hopkins and Allen had a decent bbl it would have come home with me

Boolit Master

The price on the flinter is around the price of the parts on a decent flinter.
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master

Have not, but have heard of Don Stith but he primarily does Hawken styles.

In Remembrance
    Marvin is that Don Stith in alaska, I could have just assumed he said Smith.

DF I think it was probably a steal for the gun it was, they just don't work well shooting left handed. lol

Don Stith lives in VA. Best Hawken maker in existence.

In Remembrance
    It can't be the same guy then. This one reportedly lives in Glenn Allen and went to a school years ago in pennsylvania to learn building these.
    The guy that owned it claimed it shot real good, but then again he was selling it. lol

Boolit Master

Wish I could have seen it as good left hand guns dont come up often for a good price.

In Remembrance
    If it was a lefty it would have a new home today, it had the lock on the wrong side.

A couple of years ago a guy had a lefty smoothbore 62 cal, this gun was also a custom gun and a beaut too. He was asking 900 for it and I just didn't have it to spare. Like you say, you just don't see many leftys.
    If everything goes well in the next month or so, I plan to talk to one of our members here that builds some nice ones.

Boolit Master
    Mooseman (member) lives in that area of AK. Also, bullshop (member) used to live a ways up the road near Delta. They may have info about him?
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

In Remembrance
    Did not think about Mooseman, he would be neighbors, literally.

Boolit Master

Figured you for a lefty, have a good friend lefty , who always says the wrong side like that , seriously parts kits go for that but you need the stock inletted on the other side and the lock , buy the parts and do it , go for the caliber you want , I shoot the enfields in .58 , the .50 is t.c.and the .45 are flinters built from t.o.w. parts and t.v.m. (both) as there are 2 doing business with those initials , besides gives you the satisfaction making your own , just like casting .

In Remembrance
    I have thought about building my own, but really think I would be better off paying someone like waksupi to build one. I am pretty good at building a lot of things, but have my doubts about guns. lol

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by fouronesix View Post
    Mooseman (member) lives in that area of AK. Also, bullshop (member) used to live a ways up the road near Delta. They may have info about him?
    You were right, Mooseman knows him well.