RotoMetals2Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision

Thread: compression die

Boolit Mold

compression die

OK guys I know someone here knows where I can purchase a comp. die for 45-70 an 444 many thanks Robert

Boolit Master

Buffalo Arms has just what you need.

www.buffaloarms.com

SS
    NRA Life Member Since 1981

"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"-- George Washington

II Corinthians 4:8-9. We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted but not forsaken, struck down, but not destroyed."

Psalms 25:2 O my God, I trust in thee: let me not be ashamed, let not mine enemies triumph over me.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In Remembrance
    Typically, a powder compression die is nothing more than the neck expander die from your three-die set...but the neck expanding 'plug' has been replaced with a different plug, which compresses the powder without affecting neck size.

Track of the Wolf has powder compression plugs for the Lee dies, and Buffalo Arms has them for Lyman, RCBS, and other brands of dies.

If you reload without resizing your cases, converting the neck expander for powder compression is a one time deal. If you do need to expand the neck, then you must switch plugs in and out.

In that situation, it is much more convenient to buy an extra (expander) die body to use for powder compression.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

In Remembrance
    I just use an old die of suitable dimension, make a round end out of the hex end of a bolt (also suitable dimension). Net cost....a couple of minutes of work and a 1/2-20 or 1/4-28 bolt(s). Emery
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

What mazo kid said if you have or know of someone with access to a lathe.
    Ken.
    Ken.

Be nice if it was better, but it could be worse

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak1 View Post
    What mazo kid said if you have or know of someone with access to a lathe.
    Ken.
    I did this with a good drill press and a gradual change in file grades until it checked OK with a digital caliber and trial fit. Can't have any wobble in the drill press.
    WORK TO LIVE, LIVE TO HUNT
    SHOOT ONCE, KILL CLEAN, APOLOGIZE TO NO ONE

Boolit Mold

comp.die

thanks guys I found them at track of the wolf for 1.99 ea Iwant waste my time trying to make one for 2$ plus I could never make one anyway

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by 2row View Post
    thanks guys I found them at track of the wolf for 1.99 ea.
    That must mean you have the Lee die set. So do I.

I didn't buy an extra die body because I don't resize cases.
    But, when I put the compression plug in the Lee expander die, I ran into a problem.

The die comes with that little powder funnel thing for charging cases through the die. That 'funnel' is either screwed in tight, or absent. There is no good way to adjust it up and down for varying your compression amount.

Now, you CAN adjust the entire die in the press. I don't have that option because I am using the .45/70 set for .45/90. I have the die backed out of the press as far as it will go and still be stable.

So, I used the adjusting screw from the bullet seating die (my bullets are thumb seated), instead of that goofy 'funnel'.
    I shortened both ends of the compression plug to allow that adjusting screw to get threaded in deep enough to have an adjustment range in both directions.
    (and the O-ring on the screw makes it stay where you set it.)

Again, this 'shortening' is needed because I am loading a longer case than the die set is designed for...but the bottom end of the compression plug doesn't need to be much longer than your deepest bullet seating depth (.7 inches is plenty).
    And taking a quarter inch off of the top of the plug gives the adjusting screw more range to work in.

If you are using your bullet seating die as intended, you can buy the extra parts from Lee (for very little money) to set the expander die up as I described.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to compress my loads with a comp die. Now I use very little if any compression on my Swiss 1.5. I am absolute about the OAL, and let the bullet compress the little bit on the seating. Powder column height will vary very slightly with each case fill (even with a 30" drop tube). I am using a 20:1 alloy so bullet deformation is not a problem. The only thing I use the seating plug for now is to push the veggie wad down to the powder by hand.. No air space...less work.
    So many toys........so little time.

Boolit Buddy
    I use a Redding BR die with the micrometer top and make bullets undersized out of steel or brass and use that to compress the powder and wad .You can keep the micrometer settings and use it for any cartridge .Arnie