RepackboxLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which new revolver for cast only???

Boolit Man

Which new revolver for cast only???

I am going to purchase and new revolver to be shot with cast. Older eyes wants to use a scope. I been looing at the Blackhawk Hunter in 44 mag. I have a set of Pachmayr grips left over from the last one I had. It comes with scope rings. Any reason not to make this choice?

Boolit Grand Master
    Nope. I have one in .45 colt and it's a nail driver.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

a fine fine choice sir. as a matter of fact if you buy it and don't like it ill buy it from you at one half purchase price at great personal sacrifice to my self just to help you out.

Banned

What is the intended purpose? Hunting would be perfect choice. I believe you are referring to non-fluted cylinder Super Blackhawk. I like the look of that gun.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you considered a Contender?
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Boolit Master

The Hunter is a good choice. I have the 44 and 45 Bisley Hunters and BOTH are tack drivers. The .41 is next on my list.

Boolit Man
    Intended use is hunting and target. I have a Contender with too many barrels and wanted to try something different. Thanks again, Mike

Banned

The Hunter .44 is super accurate. Never needs fed anything but cast.
    Put an Ultra Dot on it and go.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    I cannot speak for the Hunter model nor caliber .44's anymore. Have caliber .41 and Bisley, Blackhawk but no Hunter.
    But I will say I have an Ultra Dot on a caliber .454 casull BFR and I could not be happier. Have hunted for years with Leupold 2x on my revolvers. But the Ultra is 2x's faster to get on target and there is not that fractional second looking again to be sure the cross hair is right there on the spot.
    44man stired me true on the Ultra !
    MIke in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Go with the Ultra Dot my 44 wears a 4x scope very slow but accurate. As I mostly shoot for small groups.
    Last edited by daniel lawecki; 04-14-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag too soon but the future may see a 5 shot S&W X frame chambered for the original design developed as prototype by Winchester for their 75 cal rimmed cartridge. Would that make the grade for the OP title?
    I understand these will come factory packed with top and bottom wrist brace and hydrolic compression grips.

Boolit Master

Bisley Hunter?

I so wish I had one instead of the Plain Vanilla round trigger guard SBH.

I prefer the Bisley grip shape.
    Last edited by TCLouis; 04-15-2013 at 12:00 AM.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullshop View Post
    I didnt want to let the cat out of the bag too soon but the future may see a 5 shot S&W X frame chambered for the original design developed as prototype by Winchester for their 75 cal rimmed cartridge. Would that make the grade for the OP title?
    I understand these will come factory packed with top and bottom wrist brace and hydrolic compression grips.
    And a broad two inch thick padded headband for when the barrel comes back and smacks you over the eye on recoil.

Moderator Emeritus

Please excuse my Contender answer, you clearly asked for a revolver which I just didn't see. I could blame it on the pain pills I'm taking for the oral surgery I had a few days ago. So I will.
    SBH Bisley and Bisley Hunter.

The top is the Hunter model. It has shot nothing but my cast lead boolits since I've owned it. Now that I bought the Bisley SBH (bottom) I may install a scope on the Hunter.
    Come on over shoot them both, I also have a 9.5" Ruger Super Redhawk in 44 Mag you can try.
    Give us this day our daily lead.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

If you don't want 1984 you're going to need some 1776.
    WWGWD

Sounds like a good choice to me. From powder puff to full snort loads, it will "get er done".
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

Very good choice of a wheelgun. +1 for the Ultradot!!, especially for hunting. For my aging eyes, much easier target aquistion. If you're just punching paper, any decent ler scope will mate well. As for scopes, my personal preference of power is on the low side--4x is difficult for me to acquire proper picture. Just my eyes.

Go for it and Enjoy!

I had a SRH in 480 I was quite fond of. I traded it off for my 5" 357 model 60 for something a little more sensible to pack while hiking and fishing. I shot it iron sights, but had a set of rings to take a dot or scope. It loved the Lee 400gr slug. I could print 4" groups at 50 yards on the first two cylinders. It degraded quickly after that, but I have the wrists and forearms of a preteen girl.
    It requires less mental effort to condemn than to think.

Boolit Man
    Thanks for the tip on the Ultra Dot. I saw 1" as well as 30mm tube. Not sure if the 30mm replacement rings will fit or not but I can figure that out later. Let the shopping commence. Thanks again, Mike

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Quigley284 View Post
    Thanks for the tip on the Ultra Dot. I saw 1" as well as 30mm tube. Not sure if the 30mm replacement rings will fit or not but I can figure that out later. Let the shopping commence. Thanks again, Mike
    Either one will work. Just stay with the straight 4 minute dot, some of the adjustable dots change POI. I like the 30mm for deer, easier to find the target and dot.
    Go to Ultra Dot West, they have always paid shipping for mine.
    Watch grips, I can't shoot a Bisley with my big hands. That trigger guard will beat me silly. They are worse to me then the square back guard on a SBH and a set of Pachmeyer grips will let me shoot anything.
    I recommend finding some guns to shoot before deciding on a grip. I sold my Bisley hunter as fast as I could.
    They are a love-hate affair.

Boolit Man
    I found a new Blackhawk hunter on Gunbroker that looks real good. I am sure I will need help getting it going. I cast for my Kimber and I shoot BPCR. Never anything like this. Thanks again for all the help and input, Mike