WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Repackbox

Thread: Pet loads for 35 remington in a marlin?

Boolit Master

Pet loads for 35 remington in a marlin?

I have a marlin 336, about 12-15 years old, Micro groove, Bore slugs .358ish.

I splurged and ordered a RCBS 35-200 after much reading and urging on this board

Hornady checks,

.359" sizer die

White label BAC lube.

I have RE7, 5744, Varget, and a surplus powder between 3031 and 4895 on hand that would seem to be appropriate burn rates.

I have always used RE7 with jacketed bullets in this rifle with good results.

I want one load for all purposes, plinking, deer, woodchucks etc, if I get one load that works well, I'll stick with it since I can practice with it and know what it does.

My only experience with lead in this rifle is using a 125gr TC, over a light charge of red dot for plinking.

does anyone have any recommended loads to try?
    Last edited by richbug; 08-25-2007 at 09:21 AM. Reason: typo

Boolit Bub

Lead

I don't know for sure if it is true or not, but I have read that cast bullets shud be kept below 1600 in a micro-groove barrel. Something to do with accuracy. I do know that it is true in my Marlin.

Good luck
    Calaveras Slim

U.S. Army, retired

'nuff sed

Moderator Emeritus
    Richbug,

It probably isn't enough for deer, but I shoot 9.5gr Unique using the same boolit and lube as you are using in a Marlin 35 Rem. The velocity is just under 1300 fps. Accuracy is very good.

John

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Richbug,

It probably isn't enough for deer, but I shoot 9.5gr Unique using the same boolit and lube as you are using in a Marlin 35 Rem. The velocity is just under 1300 fps. Accuracy is very good.

John

That is more than any 357 magnums would do with a 200 grain bullet. I would like 1700 or a bit better though.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by garandsrus View Post
    Richbug,

John

It is if you keep it under 50 yards !

Two years ago I used my Marlin 1893 in 32-40 with the RCBS 170 grain GC bullet and it was loaded with 15 grains of XMP5744 . I was getting about 1250-1300 fps .

One shot one dead 3 point whitetail at about 42 yards

A couple years ago I used the RCBS 200 grainer in my old 336SC in 35 REM . Mine was made in 1952 and is in real good shape . Anyway I used 13 grains of SR4756 for about 1350-1400 fps. Again I shot a doe at about 45 yards and it flattened her .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

All my records are in storage right now so I won't quote any charge weights, but....it sounds like your 336 is pretty much identical to mine.

I have loaded the RCBS 200 RF up to 2200 using IMR3031, Re7 and WC846. I backed off to 2050 just because I don't think I need the extra vel. Best groups with this boolit are with 3031...~2.25in., sometimes a little less. Groups with WC846 are generally slightly larger, but the cost of the powder makes this my go-to load.

Boolits are sized .358 and lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel. I've also used Bull Shop Speed Green and see no difference in performance. I ran about 300 rounds during load development without any cleaning and didn't notice any problems.

Best groups with jacketed are about 1.5in. Win., Rem. and Speer 200 RN or Speer .357 125 JHP at ~2100 all do very well. I haven't yet tried light lead boolits at 2000+ but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I took a small doe with the RCBS boolit, ACWW, last fall, performance was the same as I've come to expect from jacketed.

So far I haven't encountered the problems I was told to expect from the MG barrel. Almost everything I've tried has worked well right from the start.

I hope yours does as well.

Jerry

Richbug, since your bore is .358+ your .359 sizer should work just fine. I loaded my 35 Rem. 336 with 38.5 gr. of H4895 with the RCBS 35-200-FN. Don't have a chrono, but book says this is 2000+ fps. Accuracy was 1.5" at 100 yds. I loaded the Lyman 358156 (155 gr. GC SWC) over the same load for 2200+ fps and same accuracy. Both of these loads shot with NO LEADING. The gas checks help, but I think the key with micro-groove barrels is to make sure the bullet is fat enough to fill the bore. Just start with a load somewhere in the middle and work up. I put Williams fire site front sight and WGRS peep rear sight on mine and felt that it would handle deer out to 150 yds. no problem. However, I am working towards getting back into Highpower Rifle competition next year and the 336 was traded for an AR15 lower.

6pt-sika you hit the nail right on the head...or should I say the deer. No super earsplitten loudenboomer needed to wack those deer at 50 yds just a good lead bullet that's accurate, 1200 to 1600 fps and a well placed shot. Gotta love it.
    Sight alignment, sight picture, squeeeeeze....
    bullseye!

Dwight

Richbug,
    There are TONS of myths about microgrooves. I have a 1968 336 in 30-30. I size my 311041s at .311 and tumble lube in LLA. This gun is good for 1 to1 1/2" at 100 yards all day every day. I have gone 500 rounds between cleanings. No leading. My primary load is in the 1800-1900fps range. Main thing is to keep boolits fat and lubed. I have an 1895 with Ballard rifling and I can not tell a difference.