WidenersRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best bang for the buck on "survival" knives----

best bang for the buck on "survival" knives----

What has anyone found to be a good quality for a reasonable price? Also what model within the brand offers the best versatility??

Depends on how much you know and what skills you have, as well as how you intend to carry them. A good pocket knife, a light machete, and a 3/4 axe make a nice combo in the truck. A pocket knife and a light machete make a good combo for a pack. With enough time and patience you can cut and split wood for a fire w/ a 4" knife, but a saw makes it much faster. A machete and a bowsaw can keep a good fire going for days, a 7" 'survival' knife will keep a small fire going for hours.

Figure out what you are trying to accomplish, then find the tools to do it, not the other way around.

Oh, and Becker makes good value 'survival' knives, I would start with them or KaBar for value.

Hey Any---that is what I was looking for---a starting point
    I am well versed as they say with a knife and I am trying to get a one knife fits all---self defense, survival, etc---it would be in a bugout bage for the most part
    Thanx HM77

Boolit Master
    cheaper than dirt used to have one for $20, can't remember what it was called, but a friend bought one. we used it on a hiking/camping trip, and we both abused the **** out of it. it held up well for what he paid for it. i don't see it listed in there flyer aymore though.

For me Ka Bar is tough to beat.
    My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/

Boolit Grand Master
    Ka-Bars are tough to beat, but the Glock Field knife is a dandy. Usually on sale for $25 - $30 or so.

If your life is only worth less than $50 buck, then buy that fine Chinese junk.
    If its made of stainless, its not field worthy. Beckers are decent blades. I prefer a 1045 carbon steel blade for out in the bush.

If you happen to visit any of the bushcraft you tube vids, you will find the smaller lighter Mora blades are prefered.

When I go into the bush, I carry tree blades.

A protection bowie. It was $350 10-15 years ago. It is Jim Bowie's first blade design called a Searle's Bowie. Named after the knife maker who made the match pair for the Bowie brothers. Jims is in the Stanta Anna museum in Mexico City. Rasin Bowies is in the Alamo, under glass. You can buy them from either Dixie Gun Works, under thier name, or Imperial Forge under the Searles name.

Next a 4 inch pocket knife, by Cold steel. It is sarrated. They dont make them any more, so no reason to go into detail

Lastly a cold steel Kukuri Machette, made of 1045 carbon steel, and is freakin indesturctable. See the videos on you tube.
    Some times I sub this for my 1750s Huron war hawk, depends on which one I fancy at teh time
    I have sworn on the altar of GOD eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man.
    Thomas Jefferson

" Any law that is NOT constitutional is not a law" James Madison

Boolit Bub
    I’m interested in the US Air Force Survival Knife, by Ontario Knife Company. /$42. @ www.uscav.com (US Cavalry). Great reviews everywhere and you can’t beat $42.

Vendor Sponsor

I also like the Becker knives. They are very robust IE: you could beat on them if necessary. CTD sells them.

I also like ESEE knives. www.esseknives.com They have pleasing designs and come in blade lengths of 3-10.5" they also have Machete's, and all are made of 1095 steel with G10 handles. I have handled all of these knives and I like the ESSE-5 and 6 models best. The ESSE-5 is made of 1/4" thick steel. The 6 is 3/16" thick material.

This outfit markets their products along with survival training, and they also have survival kits to go along with their knives.

I think you would have just about everything covered with a pocket knife, a 6" camp knife, a machete, and a small bow saw. I'd like a nice axe as well for building a more meaningful shelter.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master

You'll prolly disregard when you see the prices but you want a bang for a buck? Mora of Sweden. Can have one for under $20.00 on Amazon and they work. http://swedishknives.com/760craft.htm
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Buddy
    In my mind, Mora is the best bang for your buck (£). I not been without one for about 20 years and had three in total. I pick up my first one in Sweden in 1990, when i was on an exchange with the Swedish Army, I re-con I would still have it some scrote hadn't stolen it. The next I still use around the shop and my current one I have had for five years and only used for hunting.

They keep a good edge, fairy easy to sharpen and can take the knocks

What more would you want? - now thats going to open a can of worms

Banned

I agree K-Bar Becker BK2 Made in USA and made right
    http://www.amazon.com/Ka-Bar-Becker-...ef=pd_sbs_sg_1

I second (third or fourth?) the Mora/Frost knives. Particularly the carbon steel blades, rather than the stainless but even the stainless blades are good. The sheath is cheap molded plastic but the blade steel is astoundingly good for the price.
    For an folder the Opinel from france is in the same bracket - great carbon steel, holds a fantastic edge for fast food burger prices.
    ars longa, vita brevis

Boolit Master

First, don't bet your life on a cheap knife. I don't think spending $150 for a good knife is outrageous when it comes to whatever purpose you bought it for. Check out the "TOPS" line of knives. I have the Firestarter II, very sturdy, very sharp, and reliable. Good carbon steel that holds an edge. You'll also need a sturdy holster of some sort. Keep reading various forums and "field test" reviews on other forums before you decide. Just food for thought.

HV
    Life's biggest tragedy is we get old too soon, and wise too late.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lead Fred View Post
    If your life is only worth less than $50 buck, then buy that fine Chinese junk.
    If its made of stainless, its not field worthy. Beckers are decent blades. I prefer a 1045 carbon steel blade for out in the bush.

If you happen to visit any of the bushcraft you tube vids, you will find the smaller lighter Mora blades are prefered.

When I go into the bush, I carry tree blades.

A protection bowie. It was $350 10-15 years ago. It is Jim Bowie's first blade design called a Searle's Bowie. Named after the knife maker who made the match pair for the Bowie brothers. Jims is in the Stanta Anna museum in Mexico City. Rasin Bowies is in the Alamo, under glass. You can buy them from either Dixie Gun Works, under thier name, or Imperial Forge under the Searles name.

Next a 4 inch pocket knife, by Cold steel. It is sarrated. They dont make them any more, so no reason to go into detail

Lastly a cold steel Kukuri Machette, made of 1045 carbon steel, and is freakin indesturctable. See the videos on you tube.
    Some times I sub this for my 1750s Huron war hawk, depends on which one I fancy at teh time
    I have a Riflemans Hawk that I like very much, holds an edge, has some reach and will limb a sapling in no time. I have to chuckle when I hear some yahoo call it a toy. The darn things are down right leathal and if some ding-dong came at me while I had it they wouldn't think it was a toy for very long.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Love Life
    A bushcraft knife will do nicely. For one of the big names look to be in the $250-$350 range.

The Ka-bar is good to go and stands up well to baton duties for splitting wood. It is rather cumbersome for cleaning fish and skinning though.

I carry 3 knives. The Kabar, a solid old school multi-blade folder, and a bush craft knife.

Boolit Master
    Hi,
    Just got one of these BM Adamas 275 for a EDC! D2 blade!
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
    We ask not your counsels or arms.
    Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.
    May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.” -Samuel Adams
    Janet Reno, killed more children at Waco, with Bill Clinton's permission, than Adam Lanza killed, at Sandy Hook.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    My simple thought is.. our military spent big bucks and years testing knives. If a knife can survive our military it can certainely survive any condition I can take it to. A pilot survival goes with me here in Peru. In ILL I carry a USMC K Bar. Have also the Ontario which seems as good.
    Mike in Peru
    "Behold The Lamb of God that taketh away the sin of the world". John 1:29
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master
    Again, the Glock is a fantastic knife. I keep one of those Mora knives in each vehicle and first aid kit. Simply a great blade for the money. Cold Steel has right priced knives especially if you can find the Carbon V blades. Beckers have been too heavy for my tastes as have been some SOG's. To each is own, however. Mike in Peru is on the right track - when the US military issues it, chances are it's a winner. The pilot survival knife is one tremendous knife for utility and the K-Bar is tops for a fighter / utility type. I'm sure the latest/greatest high dollar knives are good, too, but the question at hand was economy/utility.