Lee PrecisionWidenersLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Ammo Shortage and The Free Market

Boolit Mold
    I like popcorn.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jcwit View Post
    That implies I'm lying, calling me untruthful.

My post "have a solution, haven't got one." was my post #17 on this thread made on 4-1-2013 at 9:20 PM.

Two days later and approx 35 1/2 hours later I posted what might/could be a solution and the making of an actual business.

Now it seems to be unreasonable to you for someone to come up with new ideas and perspectives, but that is what happened.

Try opening your mind.
    Where did you post that? Not in this thread. All complaints, no solutions. No comprehension of how "other" businesses work. I know several people who make six figure incomes selling "junk" on eBay. They don't need business license to be legit. All they have to do is pay taxes on their GAINS! You don't have to buy from a wholesaler to be a legit business. Lots of people buy, but don't sell a product, per se'. They use a product, add value, and sell the result.

So? If it walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. Quit whining if you can't even propose a solution.

Boolit Master

Did I mention... the owner of a new local gun shop (LGS), a legit, retail establishment, tried to convince me today that the suggested retail price on 1000 Federal small pistol primers was $259.95. His WHOLESALE supplier had them in stock. How many did I want? I passed.

Now THAT is supply and demand.

Boolit Grand Master in Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Alvarez Kelly View Post
    Where did you post that? Not in this thread. All complaints, no solutions. No comprehension of how "other" businesses work.
    Al, you need to read more carefully, or are you just to dense?

Post #69 on this thread this morning at 8:38. Check it out!

Making a buck or tow on a brick of 22's pr a box of ammo here or there is not the problem, we all to sililar transactions, maybe not with ammo but with whatever at a garage sale or selling to a buddy.

What seems to escape everyones comprehension are those that daily line up at retail outlets like Gander Mountain, Cabela's, WalMart, etc., etc and daily buy out all of the ammo for resale therebuy contining and exaperting the shortage.

They are doing this attempting to actually be in business and then sell at gun shows, GunBroaker, etc. They are no more a business than you or I are a brain surgen, but they are driving the shortage and driving pricing up as they have no REAL wholesale source to buy from.

Making a buck or 2 is one thing, buy a brick of 22's at retail from WalMart for $25.00 then carting it down to the gun show and attempting to sell it for $80.00 is entireally different.
    Lets make America GREAT again!
    Go, Go, Go, Go, Go Donald Trump

Keep your head on your shoulders
    Sit with your back to the wall
    Be ready to draw on a moments notice

Did I mention... the owner of a new local gun shop (LGS), a legit, retail establishment, tried to convince me today that the suggested retail price on 1000 Federal small pistol primers was $259.95. His WHOLESALE supplier had them in stock. How many did I want? I passed.

Now THAT is supply and demand.
    I now understand why Illinois is in the shape its in.

Took awhile, but I got it now.

Banned

Congratulations, JCWIT, you are officially the very first person here to ever make my ignore list. Enjoy the roast.

Gear

I know several people who make six figure incomes selling "junk" on eBay. They don't need business license to be legit. All they have to do is pay taxes on their GAINS!
    And this is the very reason the states are in the process of cracking down on Amazon & E-Bay dealers who are not collecting sales tax.

Boolit Grand Master
    That's quite an honor. My first was Frank. My list may grow soon.

I never knew Illinois was in trouble because of excessive free market growth. Here I thought it was excessive legislation, dependency upon government, and a firm belief that making money thru effort was wrong.

Seems to me jcwit that Illinois and their love of legislating all aspects of your life would be right up your alley. I am sure they wouldn't like unofficial businesses either, they would be too hard to tax to death.

Quote Originally Posted by geargnasher View Post
    Congratulations, JCWIT, you are officially the very first person here to ever make my ignore list. Enjoy the roast.

Gear
    And if you happen to read this at some point.

Right back atcha!

Boolit Grand Master

These panics are quite entertaining. I love going to the range and watching folks pay $2 every time they pull the trigger. Hoarding and gouging is great sport as well, great to see an extreme example of the free market in action. Just like the last time, I'm not participating in this one as a buyer or a seller. Next time I may participate as a seller, who knows?
    This time around I had a modest supply laid back, just like I've had for years. I don't shoot much so several thousand primers and a nice variety of powders will get me by for years. I'll lay in a few extras when things get back to normal. It may seem like a hoard to some folks, doesn't bother me a bit. I'd rather be a hoarder than a whiner.
    Ooops, gotta go. Someone just posted some 69gr .224 Sierra bullets under WTS. I prefer Hornady, don't even load 223 these days but I think I'll buy them!
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Quote Originally Posted by btroj View Post
    That's quite an honor. My first was Frank. My list may grow soon.

I never knew Illinois was in trouble because of excessive free market growth. Here I thought it was excessive legislation, dependency upon government, and a firm belief that making money thru effort was wrong.

Seems to me jcwit that Illinois and their love of legislating all aspects of your life would be right up your alley. I am sure they wouldn't like unofficial businesses either, they would be too hard to tax to death.
    Yes, but Indiana is in no trouble. Even with our free market, the legit kind. Our businesses do quite well here, even grow in our county.

Boolit Grand Master
    So nobody in Indiana is a money grubbing faux business man?

If a guy can make money selling a legal product them why not? If he charges outrageous prices and people pay then is he to blame?

Is the gas station along the interstate guilty of gouging people because they charge more for gas than a station with strong competition?

Free markets are just that, free. People can buy or not buy. You can either spend your money or not spend it.

If a guy can make money selling a legal product them why not? If he charges outrageous prices and people pay then is he to blame?

Is the gas station along the interstate guilty of gouging people because they charge more for gas than a station with strong competition?

Free markets are just that, free. People can buy or not buy. You can either spend your money or not spend it.
    The funny part about all this is I have no need to spend it all for this sport.

Years and years ago I stocked up when these components were on sale, not to hoard them just because they were on sale. Did the same with motor oil. My avg. cost for a brick of .22's is $6 to $7 bucks, primers in the neighborhood of $40 per sleeve of 5,000, powder $8 to $12 dollars a lb. Motor oil, Mobil 1, & Pennzoil Plantium approx $2 to $3 bucks a quart.

Seriously doubt I'll ever have a need to purchase more in my lifetime. Got plenty.

BTW, here in Indiana it likely the price of gas will be the same on the toll way as off the toll way. And you're OK with the profit margin the oil companies have even with the government controls.

Boolit Master

Where did you post that? Not in this thread. All complaints, no solutions...
    Al, you need to read more carefully, or are you just to dense?

Post #69 on this thread this morning at 8:38. Check it out!
    I challenge anybody to find anything resembling a suggestion in the following:

Making a buck or tow on a brick of 22's pr a box of ammo here or there is not the problem, we all to sililar transactions, maybe not with ammo but with whatever at a garage sale or selling to a buddy.

What seems to escape everyones comprehension are those that daily line up at retail outlets like Gander Mountain, Cabela's, WalMart, etc., etc and daily buy out all of the ammo for resale therebuy contining and exaperting the shortage.

They are doing this attempting to actually be in business and then sell at gun shows, GunBroaker, etc. They are no more a business than you or I are a brain surgen, but they are driving the shortage and driving pricing up as they have no REAL wholesale source to buy from.

Making a buck or 2 is one thing, buy a brick of 22's at retail from WalMart for $25.00 then carting it down to the gun show and attempting to sell it for $80.00 is entireally different.

Where did I claim, state, or imply that?

Boolit Master

Ain't that the truth... Oh... and crooked politicians...

"Illinois; where are governors make our license plates!"

I challenge anybody to find anything resembling a suggestion in the following:
    I know its difficult, but here it is again.

Spose it might be the fact of getting the licensing and permits to carry out said business and then be able to purchase said supplies from actual wholesalers? Not from retail outlets

If we wish to not do the above lets make prostitution legal also, and do away with all the drug laws, after all they are only trying to make a "buck or two".

Boolit Grand Master
    So it bugs you. Big deal. It doesn't bother me.

I wasn't aware that you were the moral compass for society.

I wasn't aware that you were the moral compass for society.
    I'm not, that is up to all of us. But its obvious that has gone by the wayside in todays society.

Its now changed into "all about me, me, me", and how much can I get.

Its how we got our present administration.
    Last edited by jcwit; 04-03-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Boolit Master

I know its difficult, but here it is again.

Spose it might be the fact of getting the licensing and permits to carry out said business and then be able to purchase said supplies from actual wholesalers? Not from retail outlets

If we wish to not do the above lets make prostitution legal also, and do away with all the drug laws, after all they are only trying to make a "buck or two".
    If you think there is a suggestion buried somewhere in that jumble, you should try to write more clearly.

I think you may be suggesting that "someone" force all sellers everywhere, Craigslist, eBay, local gunshows, and even flea markets, to only buy from wholesalers. How? More legislation? How would that work? I see used stuff all the time? Where do you buy used stuff wholesale?

I've it said several times now... all whining, no solution.

I've tried. You don't get it. You only see the world through your own experiences. Since you don't "need" anything ever again, why does it bother you so much. know... It ain't fair. So what. The world is not fair. That's life.

And now, you are added to my ignore list. Too much negativity for me. Life's too short.

I'm out.