Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 25 ACP legal for Kansas deer

Boolit Master

25 ACP legal for Kansas deer

That's not a missprint, KS just made it legal by simplifying the law. It now reads that any center fire rifle or handgun is legal for big game. Sounds goofy to me but its true. I think I'll use the 32-20 this year.

Boolit Master
    Close enough distance, extreme confidence, and extreme accuracy..... I would use it also. Texas has that same general terminology in the law. "Any centerfire" and the 218 bee used to be real popular. So was (is) the 22 hornet. It is just not for me. Heck, I dont even use the 223 anymore.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Close enough distance, extreme confidence, and extreme accuracy..... I would use it also. Texas has that same general terminology in the law. "Any centerfire" and the 218 bee used to be real popular. So was (is) the 22 hornet. It is just not for me. Heck, I dont even use the 223 anymore.
    Replace that with Headlock, or handfeeding. I personaly like the minimum power restrictions.

Boolit Master

I dont really think its a smart idea to make it that unrestrictive but they never asked me

Banned

we have an "any weapon" deer season.
    you wanna chase them down and rock em to death have at it.
    of course that means my AR--15 with 30 round magazine is also a sporting rifle.

i heard it and saw it in print at various ummm news places , at the time it still wasnt written in the regs. .... leaving me , at least until the regs. are amended, still using what i used before , currently they state this
    "FIREARMS
    Centerfire rifles and handguns that are not fully automatic and that fire a bullet larger than .23 inches in diameter and that use a cartridge case that is 1.280 inches or more in length (except that elk require a bullet larger than .25 inches in diameter a cartridge case length of 1.750 or longer), while using only hard-cast solid lead, soft point, hollow point, or other expanding bullets; shotguns 20-gauge (12-gauge for elk) or larger, using only slugs; and crossbows with draw weights of at least 125 pounds, with bolts at least 16 inches long equipped with broadhead points that cannot pass through a ring 3/4-inch in diameter. Non-broadhead bolts may be in possession while hunting. Range-finding devices and optical scopes or sights that project no visible light toward the target and do not electronically amplify visible or infrared light may be used. Any person who lawfully possesses a firearm suppressing device may use that device in conjunction with lawful hunting, fishing, and furharvesting."

http://www.kdwpt.state.ks.us/news/Hu...egal-Equipment

while it leaves out the 22 lr. i've been told by many wardens that it is the firearm of choice for poachers , i dont believe i'll load the hornet down to rimfire velocities ( nor use it ) but simply that deer can and have been killed with little cartridges , it is all about aim and shot placement after all ( erm and knowing where to place that shot )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Well if the above rule is Kansas rule, then 25 acp is NOT legal. The case is only .615" long. So that would cut out quite a few smaller cases. In fact, the 357 mag barley squeezes in at 1.290".

Sounds like the rule is a GW's dream for tickets.

Woops, maybe I am not understanding the OP versus the one above. My bad if so.

the above blurb is ye olde standard that's been in effect for several years , it was stated earlier in the week and on several news sites that this year we will be able to use any center fire caliber ...while i like the thought , i myself will stick with what's in print at the dept of wildlife and parks , if they change it before deer season ...i may use something other than what i have been

here's but one of a few possible news stories

http://www.kake.com/home/headlines/K...199836401.html

the meat of the matter

"The Kansas Department of Wildlife Parks and Tourism says deer hunters will be allowed to use any center fire rifle or handgun cartridge when deer season starts in September. Previously, hunters had to use ammunition with at least a .23 caliber bullet. Also, any gauge slugs will be allowed starting in the fall."

edit for add , we also currently have

"Senate Bill 152 amends existing law concerning hunting by allowing persons who have concealed carry license to carry concealed firearms while lawfully hunting and allowing the use of firearms suppression devices while lawfully hunting."
    Last edited by fryboy; 03-28-2013 at 09:52 PM. Reason: edit for add
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    we have an "any weapon" deer season.
    you wanna chase them down and rock em to death have at it.
    I busted a gut reading this laughing so hard.

Been the same up here in B.C. for years ... "any centrefire cartridge" just no "rimfire cartridges" ... so my .17 Remington, 32-20 or .25 ACP is OK for Deer or even a Moose, but if you have a .41 Swiss rimfire, sorry you can't hunt with it! It all seems a bit strange and impractical, but then again it's a government regulation so nothing much really surprises me anymore!
    I may have passed my "Best Before" date, but I haven't reached my "Expiry" date!

Boolit Buddy
    When I was young, many years ago, in grew up in WA State in the backwoods. My gun for deer back then was an old, even then, Marlin 25-20. The deer are blacktail and not as big as a whitetail, but as a kid I lost track of how many I killed for the family table. We raised cattle for sale but venison was free, so you know what we ate. When I got older I graduated to the awesome 32-20, also an old Marlin. It all came down to shot placement and probably nothing was shot over 50 yards.

Now I guess I cheat a little because I shoot a 7-30 Waters or the 7mm TCU. I just want to make sure they go down with one shot now but it still is shot placement.

Boolit Master
    Here there is no restriction of any kind, no minimum requirement for power or anything of that sort, yet i haven't ran into anybody hunting with a .25 ACP yet! A few guys use a .22 now and then, but usually the caliber they choose has more than enough poop, its the guy behind the trigger that wounds things! I have told this story here before, but i had a friend a few years back that was injured badly and could not hold up to recoil from a hunting rifle, so he used a .22 magnum and a .17 to harvest two deer, each with a single shot, head and lungs, respectively. In that situation it was the guy behind the trigger that made it count, a nervous guy with buck fever can shoot a deer in the legs with a .22 as well as he can a .270!
    Only thing i see here is they made it legal to use the .22 centerfires that are now being touted as deer guns with the new bullet designs. And again, in capable hands, they work fine, but i personally think a .243 is the min for a dedicated hunting rifle.
    But i also think passing an accuracy test and proving competence with your weapon should come before a "power factor", if you hit em where it counts you should be able to pick whatever you want! Waksupi can probably chime in on this, but i have been told by my parents that back in the 80's when the state let people put in to shoot nusance bears, if you got drawn you had to show proficient marksmanship skills before they would take you to the bear, i am curious to know what happened the first few times that made them decide to do that!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Banned

PA has the same regs for rifle, any centerfire caliber is a go.

I would say not a good plan. If you were going to use a 25 I would say practice at fifteen foot firing at a4" circle. 15' being a long shot for a 25, shoot controlled pairs quickly. Probably 2 pairs rapidly would be a good plan. I took a friend & his son turkey hunting years ago, to get his sons first turkey. Our mission was to put his boy within 20yards of a turkey, we did. The hunt was fun & we were getting a big chuckle watching the kid carry his turkey out. Next thing we know a big buck jumps up from a thicket not 10' in front of us. He made so much noise and had a giant presence so close that I presented the only gun I had on me to the ready. It was a Sig p238 .380, that buck had an arrow sticking out of his shoulder. It was very deep, but had clearly been deflected by his beefy bones. It had kind of slid in length wise, I believe he was mortally wounded. That brute began taking steps right toward us, I fired a controlled pair into his vitals. The buck dropped. He was a fighter till the end. He took longer to expire than I like. So I personally would not want to actually hunt with tiny handgun if given options. A controlled pair to the vitals from a .380 works better than a misplaced arrow. We found that one shot went through his heart & exited, the second shot passed through both lungs & stopped in the hide on the other side. If I wouldn't have had that gun I believe my buddy and I would have had to try to take him down with our knives, he had his head lowered & was probably 8' away.

A 25 would be about the right size for the KS deer I used to see around McConnell AFB. No, it wouldn't be, but the deer were very small compared to what I was used to seeing in Ohio.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Man
    Maybe but why would you want to? So many better choices.

Boolit Master
    I did always think that a Marlin semi auto converted to 25 acp would be a great squirrel rifle. Totally off subject, but since I am up.......
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Grand Master

Practice, practice, practice, and shot placement, shot placement, shot placement etc.etc.etc. No winner in these arguements. For me, I sort of go with whoever came up with the 1000 fpe at 100 yds to be a good guide. Yep, know a lot of deer have been poached with 22LR's, probably even with 22Shorts. Don't make it right or logical.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master

When I lived/hunted in Kentucky they had the same "any centerfire rifle/pistol allowed" for deer hunting. Never felt comfortable hunting with my Baby Browninng in .25 ACP. Too many guns in the safe screaming at me to take them out . NC allows any caliber for hunting with only no full auto or suppressors allowed, so it is legal to hunt with a .22LR. I successfully used my M4ergy AR in 5.56mm on deer with a 20 rd mag in place (don't like the long length of a 30 rd mag for hunting game). Good to see Kanas giving responsiblliy back to its citizens.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'