Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Lee Precision Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: target interpretation

Boolit Mold
    Bigted, Thanks, That is where I always started when working with a problem like that. BE interesting to see how it is resolved. Just about the time you think you have BP cartridge figured out, it gets ya!

country gent, I have never shot a real gun at 1,000 yards, only 45-70 and 45-100. The matches only allowed a rest under your hand at 1,000 when I started. No rests at 800 or 900. No prone x-sticks, but some shot them setting up. I shot back rest. Most shot prone with a sling. Due to cataract implants, not being able to see the targets and recoil of the 550 gr slug over 90 grs of 2 F being a migraine trigger, I have drifted away for LR BP. Now my focus is 200 yd offhand schuetzen shooting.

Back to vertical stringing, my first LR 45-70 would do that over a string of 15 or 20 shots. After looking over my shot records, it was quite predictable. Turned out to be leading in the throat on that rifle collecting fouling and more lead. I was shooting duplex at the time. Way before blow tubes became fashionable.

Boolit Mold
    Bigted, I forgot to mention the first place I learned to start a load was with bullet seating depth. I never shot lever guns, just SS target rifles. Start with it touching the lands and move back a bit at a time up to .025" back off the lands. Whenever I was having trouble with straight BP, I would try a duplex load just to see if the gun would shoot BP. If it would shoot duplex, then back to working on straight BP. I started this when barreling an original action or Shiloh Sharps were the only options

Boolit Master
    Ted,

Run this formula and see what happens:

Twist = 150 * Diameter^2 / Length

Not sure it will be a factor but this Greenhill formula may give you some insight.