Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxMCD ProductsReloading EverythingInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moon shine

The deer can get it all after we get done with it lol

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Franklin County, our neighboring county, is the moonshine capitol of the world and has been for many decades.

Most of these ol' boys around here use pot stills without thumpers. Pot stills are a lot easier to build, run, tear down and transport. When they're done with a 'run', they take the cap and condenser and abandon the rest in place. The cap and condenser are the most important parts, the rest of the still can be built with commonly available material.

The thumper makes a bit too much noise to suit these boys, so they choose to do without it. You'd be surprised how far that thumping sound will carry down a valley.

I've had the priveledge of seeing a 'run' being done and I think it's fascinating. Even with steel barrels, if it's properly done, the old masters can turn out some really smooth product.

The business continues to thrive into the 21st century.
    Yep, some places shine is still going pretty strong. My grandaddy used to tinker a bit. A lot of people (depending on how big a rig) don't like thumpers because of the noise, as well as large above ground boilers because depending on the plumbing, sometimes the rig will sing. A thumper's not really needed unless your wanting to run your rig hard and fast in case it pukes. But the thumper does work as a second distillation, but without one you can do several stripping runs then do a spirit run. Ahem, or so I've been told.
    One of the greatist delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation.- Thomas Reed (1886)
    "The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give it to those who would not."-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lcclower View Post
    You all are making me wonder what really happens to all that deer corn.
    To feed the deer......near the blind of course.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Grand Master
    Of course, you understand the only reason we have corn on hand is to feed the birds and squirrels, right?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn1750-e1364145559344.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	65219

In Remembrance

Careful with that mash, a drunk, rutty buck could be trouble. I'm talking deer, of course.

Boolit Master

Last time I had any good shine was in the early 60,s Was stationed in Alabama
    for Helicopter training. Would take a short walk into the boonies and meet up.
    Cheap as helll for a glass jar Pint, still don't know how we got any work done.
    I miss it--------------------the shine that is.
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Master at heavens range
    look up homedistiller.com

made plenty of good beer. Nice part is that it's legal. plus it's better tasting.
    Only thing I can think of that Pres. Jimmy Carter did right.

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post
    made plenty of good beer. Nice part is that it's legal. plus it's better tasting.
    I hope you're speaking for yourself as making Beer & Wine are still illegial here in Alabama....yep even Mississippi is ahead of us in this matter.

Rick
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master
    Guys thanks for the tips, I have a mash bubbling as I type this. Hope to run some off next weekend and see what kind of fuel I can get.
    jim

Boolit Master

So what is a "thumper" and what does it do in the process of distillation?

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Master

whats illegal about it?i can cook and eat my corn any way i like.

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Same question, I may be a bit naïve & haven't come across much in the way of moonshining down here in Oz.

Thumpers & rigs singing..............sounds like fun was had.

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by GabbyM View Post

Hope you didn't try any Billy Beer, there's a reason why there were so many unopened cans years after they quit making it.

Back on topic there were a few moonshiners still in business in a neighboring county back when I started my law enforcement career. A sheriff's deputy offered me a jar once but even back then I knew the difference between "drinkin' whiskey" and "sellin' whiskey" and somehow I doubted this deputy knew the difference. Thought it rather odd that he kept some in the trunk of his squad car, though.
    Even did business with an old black bootlegger when I was in high school, actually with his 10 yr old "salesman". Little guy could double the price on the tag and make change all in his head. Hope he moved on to better things, sharp kid.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by SciFiJim View Post
    So what is a "thumper" and what does it do in the process of distillation?
    It's a step in the process to "purify" the steam or rather drop any excess from the cap and then on to the worm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	moonshine-diagram.gif 
Views:	37 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	65317

Just what I read mind you. Some as stated skip the thump keg and go straight to the worm and filter through cheese cloth...
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

In the Heart of N Alabama smack dab along Tornado Alley.
    Is it true that the first part of the run is posion & has to be tossed away? If so, how does a fellow know when the good usable "fuel" starts coming out.
    Democracy is two wolves and a
    lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting
    the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Grand Master
    Popcorn Sutton, "The last run".

This is a collection of 11 videos made about Popcorn Sutton, the most famous moonshiner that ever lived. Not only is this a real documentary about Popcorn, it will answer all your questions about the trade and how it's done. The collection runs about an hour and a half, but it will really take you back to how it was (and still is!) done.

Popcorn is gone now, but the tradition carries on up in these hills. If you're ever driving the roads of southwest Virginia and you smell cornbread in the air, that's a sure sign some of the best homemade whiskey ever made is comin' out the spout.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Various alcohols are made via the still. The ingredients of the must/mash determine which alcohols are possible. The only drinkable one is ethyl. Methyl is the going-blind kind up front, then death. The amyl alcohols (usually oily) are always produced by various yeasts, and most especially when not fed enough nitrogen during activity (corn products have good nitrogen levels, usually). The only guaranteed way to get ethyl ONLY is using the exact temperature of distillation for that desired product. This is where moonshiners typically fall down. Various flavors in the vodka (ethyl only) are due to these errors showing up. ... felix
    Last edited by felix; 03-25-2013 at 03:32 PM.
    felix

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by smokemjoe View Post
    look up homedistiller.com
    HOME DISTILLER

I have the site on my favorites list and reference it quite often. I would say the only people that would have no need for it would be the professional and experienced Master Distillers with decades of experience. It is by far THE premier site for the hobby distiller.

Every time I read this one I want to get drunk LOL