Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Panic Buying Recover?

Banned
    It never ceases to amaze me how people react to market stimulus. Even flawed stimulus. To begin with, under present protocols, a fed ban of weapons and ammo would be fundamentally useless to them. They simply could not enforce it. there are 60 million armed Patriots in this nation possessing roughly 300 million weapons. Who is gonna kick in those doors and take them away? Exactly...nobody. It would take a literal idiotic fool to even think about doing this on a sustained basis. You might get by with the first couple of raids. After that, word gets around, then people start shooting back with stuff that will laugh at even the most determined man-mounted body armor. A 7mm Rem. Mag will blow through Level 3A plates and do interesting things to the anatomical components on the other side. The feds and kalifornia wanted to do a mass door kicking campaign and gather up all the 'assault weapons'...whatever that means. They turned to local LE elements, who simply told them to go peepee up a rope. They weren't interested in getting shot to doll rags by a bunch of pissed off rednecks who just couldn't find a reason to lay down like the French did for the Germans back in the day. The point is...all this hyper-buying is for nothing.

Boolit Master
    I havn't bought a box of ammo since 2006. I reload and it just isn't necesary.

The prices are insane and it is a bit worrisome to me that Congress is looking at what is going on in this market and someone is going to decide that taxes on ammo will be fine, big taxes.

"Well look at the prices they are paying now! We have a lot of room for taxes!"

Boolit Buddy
    My local Sportsman Whse has some powder on the shelf. Has had rifle and large pistol primers on the shelf for a couple of weeks at $33 a 1,000. They get 22 ammo in once a week but it is gone in a flash. I picked up a brick a few weeks ago but it comes down to if you are lucky enough to be there when they put it out. I will give this store two thumbs up. They havn't raised prices thru this mess.

I happened to go into Sportsman Warehouse yesterday. It was shipping day and the truck was late.

Two lines in the store. One for ammo and one for reloading components. The ammo line was twice as long as the reloading components line. I hung out in line for about an hour bs'ing with other reloaders. When I did get my turn I rattled off a dozen different things; large pistol primers, large rifle primers, HP-38, 231, Unique, N320, N340, Sierra 230gr JHP, etc. No luck with any of that, stood in line for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post
    When I did get my turn I rattled off a dozen different things; large pistol primers, large rifle primers, HP-38, 231, Unique, N320, N340, Sierra 230gr JHP, etc. No luck with any of that, stood in line for nothing.
    We need to be flexible in our powder choices these days. Get out the book and look at burn rates and also other suggested loads. With no Bullseye to be had I have substituted Promo and everything is fine downrange.

dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master
    Amen, reloading survivial 101 , learn to substitute. I have used WW231 for pistol loads since late seventies but with non available and my last pound almost gone I ordered HS-6 which was in stock but still took six weeks to get.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 03-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    As long as gun shops and range rats keep telling people that the US Government is buying up all the ammo and components before they make it to market and not allowing shipments into the US, and people who haven't fired a round in years keep hoarding the current situation will continue.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by dnotarianni View Post
    We need to be flexible in our powder choices these days. Get out the book and look at burn rates and also other suggested loads. With no Bullseye to be had I have substituted Promo and everything is fine downrange.

dave
    Good advise.

Primers and jacketed bullets are what I was mainly after.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    As long as gun shops and range rats keep telling people that the US Government is buying up all the ammo and components before they make it to market and not allowing shipments into the US, and people who haven't fired a round in years keep hoarding the current situation will continue.
    Something I found disconcerting with the hording was the guys in line that freely admitted they come every week and buy stuff, regardless if they need it or not. I don't wanna hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kull View Post

Something I found disconcerting with the hording was the guys in line that freely admitted they come every week and buy stuff, regardless if they need it or not. I don't wanna hear that.
    It's not hording, It's proper inventory management! I haven't bought anything since the day after the election. Think of it as a squirrel saving nuts for the winter!
    dave
    The only part of the metric system America has embraced is the 9mm.

Remember incoming fire has the right of way

Boolit Master Baron von Trollwhack's Avatar
    Quite a bit of the powder we use comes from overseas. I doubt the suppliers there will increase production much in the short run. Perhaps some American made powder production can be increased. But will it with the gungrabbers still going for a future we don't like?
    Most of our primers are made in the USA and without longer term investment in capital equipment, primer production is likely in full production now and until forward looking shooter demand is met. Again a bad production investment with this current administration. Overseas primers are there but shipping whether Berdan, Tulas, Boxers or Uberti SAs is iffy too. Always has been. Likewise Euro cases too. They got their own woes with that UN treaty over their heads too, even though they are already severly limited.

Make every shot count and save that brass. Get your stocks built up if you need to as the chances arise. Don't get raped because demand may slow as the late comers learn frugality and basic lessons in prepping.

Think of the travail and efforts early pioneers made to get powder. If you could mill corn by a stream then you could make powder, although not on the edge of the raw frontier where subsistence was the rule.

BvT

i am glad i bought powder when i did. i was at a local loading store and had a bunch of cash in pocket.
    so i bought 16lbs of bullseye and 16lbs of win231.
    awhile later i picked up 20k large pistol primers, but no small
    recently i paid 54$ for a box of 1k. bought 4k of them but happy wife makes happy life?

guns will be 1st
    then ammo and components last.

even if the gov dont tax stuff more ya can bet the company's will raise prices
    FEAR YOUR GOVERNMENT

“The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.” - Thomas Paine

Boolit Buddy
    dudits, Nice to see another from Wis. reloading. Be careful who all you tell of your stock, as it's not always a blessing that everyone knows what you have, in these trying times. Take care. Tom

My order from Powder Valley shipped today. (6 weeks from order date) Having a copy of Quickload software was invaluable in making my choices. Easy to check options, when the powder of choice wasn't available. And it wasn't.
    Cognitive Dissident

Don't pay panic pricing and it wil go away. They are not gonna kick doors they will keep chipping away our rights as they've done longer than I've been alive till there is nothing left to chip at. Look at the prime examples. How they did it in several countries already. A 7mm may go through armor but yer house ain't fireproof and ya can't even see the predators flying overhead. Vote and stay stocked- problem solved.

I suspect ammo will be the last to fill the shelves. The chiefs of police are complaining there isn't ammo for their departments to practice with, and what is available is waaaay out of their budget. Police departments were informed it will be 9 month to a year before ammo is available in quantity again.
    I hope powder starts filling the shelves soon. Gun shops in my area have it on order but there is none to be had. I'll get a few more bottles of 2400 when available.
    Ohio Rusty ><>

Hydrostatic shock doesn't kill deer ..... I do.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

The gun shop I visit as much as I can has powder primers bullets on the shelf and has had it his prices have gone up every time stock comes in but not a lot. He also has ARs in stock now one nice colt police model for 1200 bucks which is not a bad price. He was never the cheapest place to buy but is not jacking up prices to line his pockets also he limits how many rounds someone can buy to spread it around. I did even see three 900 round 65 gr 556 surplus sitting on the floor did the math it came out to 60 cents a round or 540.00 bucks. That being said people came in right after the talk started and he sold all his AR style rifles a lot of pistols and what ever else people were scared they could not get. On the bright side stock is still coming in daily there is a longer wait time for some rifles and pistols but they are still coming. I am having to buy powder that is not my reg stuff to fill my reloading needs and I have to confess I am increasing my ammo on hand amounts but not to a hoarding level.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

"but not to a hoarding level."

Rp, when do we go from well stocked to hoarding? Is there a cutoff? Anyone?

Banned

if you go past a lifetime supply for what you have you are just buying trade stock for the next rifle.
    I suppose that would make everybody that ever died owning something like a house or car or food in the fridge a hoarder if not.

uscra112---That sounds a lot like a conspiracy theory-----not that I don't believe it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Here's a simple way to tell if you're hoarding. If you see a can of powder on the shelf, and you have a panic attack if some other person picks it up before you.

It has nothing to do with how much you have, it's got everything to do with why you're buying it.