Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Buy me books and send me to school,,,,,,

Boolit Buddy
    101: I still think the SAW would be the cats meow for the CQPK (close quarter piggy killin')

goofyoldfart <aka GOF or Godfrey>
    A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America " for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Boolit Grand Master

I wouldn't normally go after hogs with little bullets but in that situation I would have liked to have a rimfire, it's plenty for little piggies and it would have been nice to reach over the bigger bore rifle and send a smaller package. I use them for feral dogs and coyotes because I don't want overpenetration and don't care if I recover them. As you know I'm a firm believer in large chunks of lead when I'm hunting big game in hog country because I never know what's going to show up and won't pass on a big hog.
    Seems I share your experience with a 30-06. It's a cartridge that has put lots of meat in my freezer but I had one huge porker take two good hits with the 165 gr version of that bullet and still ran off into the brush and down into a dark canyon. Guide recovered the skull a few months later. Bounced the same bullet off a bit smaller hog's forehead a few years back, stuff happens. I tried the 223 on a population control hunt and was disappointed, wouldn't even anchor a smallish sow. I still like my j-bullet launchers but I'm learning the value of a big, slow chunk of lead.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master
    Yessir. Seems our experiences are very similar.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master

I just finished casting a couple of hundred .311 roundballs this morning and I was thinking Gallery Loads for my kid's M44 Mosin Nagant but I may have to save 50 or so for Buckshot loads on the odd chance I retire to pig country this summer.
    I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
    Bona Fide member of the Jeff Brown Hunt Club

Boolit Grand Master

Where our governors, congressmen AND THEIR WIVES make our license plates
    Well I could send down a FEW .450 round balls to assist in the weight of those piglets.

How many HUNDRED do you need?
    WE WON. WE BEAT THE MACHINE. WE HAVE CCW NOW.

Boolit Master
    Yep, rb's would be great. Isn't that 00 size? I think so, but..... Wait, where am I?
    And no need to even really try to push em. Standard velocity works great. If you have a rock tumbler, put them in there for a while with 1/4 teaspoon powdered graphite. It helps my patterns quite a bit.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Bad Water Bill View Post
    Well I could send down a FEW .450 round balls to assist in the weight of those piglets.

How many HUNDRED do you need?
    Lemme see, a claymore has .62 cu ft of space divided by Pi times .458 then over 5 casings should equal somewhere around 3 thousand two hundred just off my head. LOL. I am just kidding. I have no idea how much space a claymore has or how to figure how many round balls it would hold.
    Or if you mean for the 45 colt, just a couple hundred!

Boolit Master
    I am gonna have to take a picture sometime with a pig and me holding my AT-4 anti-armor rocket launcher. Wonder how long it would take the "black helo's" to descend on me.

Boolit Master
    And Bruce, if you don't retire to pig country, a fellow serviceman could come visit some time......
    Cant offer much but a roof and some good ole cookin and a little huntin, but it is here.

Boolit Master
    Hey, TxGunNut, have you seen the pics of my 50 Beowulf 400 and 450 grain HP's of Noe design?
    Brother, when you absolutely, positively gotta unleash the beast on something, accept no substitutes.
    And I do mean from Amoebas to Aircraft, it covers them all. (Long as they are under say, 250 yards)

Boolit Grand Master

just a couple hundred!

That will not put a dent in the fun I had one weekend.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Hey, TxGunNut, have you seen the pics of my 50 Beowulf 400 and 450 grain HP's of Noe design?
    Brother, when you absolutely, positively gotta unleash the beast on something, accept no substitutes.
    And I do mean from Amoebas to Aircraft, it covers them all. (Long as they are under say, 250 yards)
    Don't think I saw them, does sound it has excellent smackdown potential. Somehow I've managed to avoid the .50 but if my ugly gun platform ever gets an upgrade that would be on the short list.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master at Heavens Range Bob Krack's Avatar
    Ohio for a while Kalifornia then who knows where - Missouri?
    Quote Originally Posted by x101airborne View Post
    Yep, rb's would be great. Isn't that 00 size? I think so, but..... Wait, where am I?
    And no need to even really try to push em. Standard velocity works great. If you have a rock tumbler, put them in there for a while with 1/4 teaspoon powdered graphite. It helps my patterns quite a bit.
    Close Trey,
    .311 is between #1 Buck and #0 Buck. I've prolly cast over 10,000 of them and loaded a lot of them into 12 Ga 2-3/4 hulls. Pretty devastating at 30 yards or less and durned potent at 50 or so yards.

I loaded 9 per shell, all within the wad petals. Mossberg 500 short barrelled riot shotgun gave me 8" by 10" or 12" patterns.

Keep on doing what ya do.

Bob
    I was always taught to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any!

Μολὼν λαβέ; approximate Classical Greek pronunciation [molɔ̀ːn labé], Modern Greek [moˈlon laˈve]), meaning "Come and take them" is a classical expression of defiance reportedly by King Leonidas in response to the Persian army's demand that the Spartans surrender their weapons at the Battle of Thermopylae.

Boolit Master

Gear, your a genius! Gave me the idea prompt for a "total solution" here....few dozen IR game cams hardlined to my laptop in Trey's house, I can rewrite the code on the alarm parameters for the facial recognition software (don't ask) to search by body type (narrow it down to piggy shape only) and have claymores hard wired in so all we have to do is sit on the porch with some cold sweet tea, wait for the fireworks to let us know the perimeter's been breached. Mosey down, do a body count, reset a new claymore and return to our siesta! Oh the joys of modern warfare!
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Boolit Master
    That's right.
    I think I will dream about that. Man, would that be nice.

Boolit Grand Master

A friend has a camera set up on a 1K range. When anything triggers the camera, a bell rings and the view opens on his laptop. BANG dead ground hog.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like those buckshot are just the ticket, Trey. Let em try to get out the pattern of THAT!
    "The trick is to stop thinking of it as 'your' money" (Tax Auditor)

Life is not waiting for the storm to subside, life is about learning to dance in the rain.

Boolit Master
    Yessir. That is why I love buckshot so!

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yeah,.jpg 
Views:	143 
Size:	29.3 KB 
ID:	63556

Well, I just went out again. Only to have my pants handed to me by a female. This one was one of 8. I caught them in my coastal field and unleashed the Jihad. The rifle of choice was the 7.62x39 AR using the NOE 314-155 hp and the gen 3 night vision. Distance was 70 yards or so. She took three rounds from the rifle and went down. Doin the kicken chicken. I shot two others and lost sight of the group. I have no idea if any others went down or not. One thing I do know, is I am over leading. The one I recovered had a broken jaw, both eyes shot out and one in the lungs. Due to the kicken chicken thing, I thought it was over.
    Well, assumption is the mother of all mess ups, isn't it?
    I had my glock 40 on my hip and when I grabbed her rear leg, she came ALIVE. And BOY did she come alive. I was so taken aback that I fell on my rear and had no choice but to grab the glock and not even aiming, fired 6 rounds into her. I have no idea where I hit her or why she went down, but she did. Load there was Lee 180gr TC over a heavy dose of unique. She weighed in at a confirmed (by scale) 288 pounds. This is my rifle hanging on her for scale. I cannot explain how FAT she is. I guarantee if I cut her open there are at least 8 more in her belly.

Em sons of you know whats.....

Boolit Grand Master

Good job, 155gr (and 180gr) piggy birth control pills! She does appear to be pregnant and we both know those little piggies eat and tear up nearly as much as big piggies. Try to keep your feet under you next time, glad you were able to get your Glock into action and resolve the situation. I don't generally hunt with a handgun as primary but situations like that are why I always have one on my hip.