Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: evilBay lives up to its' nickname

evilBay lives up to its' nickname

So, I bought a $9.00 item on evilBay a couple days ago, and went to pay with PayPal, which I hate but they require it, and they refused to execute the payment. A day later I get an email saying that because I had bought a "limit" of $2000 using Paypal, (over 2-3 years now), they required that I give them my bank account information so they could debit my bank directly instead of charging a credit card, as I had reluctantly agreed to when I broke down and opened a Paypal account. Only option they offer is to sign up for their credit card, (at an unstated interest rate), or deposit cash in a "prepay" account, so they collect the float until I use it up.

Anybody else run into this?

Needless to say, I am now done with evilBay, since joining up in 2001. They insult us by prohibiting many sorts of gun related items from being listed on evilBay, they rake sellers for fees and commissions, they rake buyers with this kind of thing, (I'd use another word but CB is a family site), Paypal prohibits any off-evilBay payments for gun related stuff, and-and-and.

I'll miss a lot of chances at old collectible stuff from estates and whatnot, but for everything else there's Amazon.
    Last edited by uscra112; 03-08-2013 at 01:58 AM.
    Cognitive Dissident

In Remembrance
    That is strange, I have spent over 2 grand on one purchase several times, but not so much in the last couple years.

I've never had any trouble from them and I have spent a heck of a lot more then 2,000 in the last year. It could be that the CC I use for paypal is a bank card that can be charged or instant debit.

Boolit Master

I don't use Paypal because of various policies on their part. They are constanty changing the rules it seems, and I got fed up with them. It's too bad too. I've missed out on some really great deals on this site because I won't use them.

Boolit Master
    They have been set up this way with me for years. I've never had any problems. I need access to EBAY for things I collect. I just play the game.

Boolit Grand Master

I set them up with a bank account that I only use to get money out of PayPal and use my credit card to buy things. You don't have to pay by debit.

Boolit Master
    First let me say I am not defending Paypal or endorsing it (I don't want to get my chops busted). I think what you are referring to is that you can only spend a certain amount with out being verified. They claim this is to prevent CC fraud. You give them you banking information they make 2 small charges (like .01 and .03 or similar). You then log on and tell them what they charged. They put the amount back in and then you are verified so they call it. After that they will always default to the bank account but you can change it to a CC before you hit the pay button.

I could be mistaken an this is not what you are talking about. They used to do this when you spent a certain amount in a given month.

I understand your frustrations with those bloodsuckers. I feel the same way but I still use them to sell stuff for extra spending money.
    High Hook

Boolit Master
    We have a winner!!!

Yes for Pay Pal , Debite Cards, BAnk Account tied to such and used for on-line transactionsuse a seperate bank account and sperate credit / debit cards with low limits.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Master
    I just hit the $10,000 limit several months ago. I opened another account with a different credit card and email address.
    I do not like pay pal at all, but many only take it. I try to call and send a check, money order, or use a credit card.
    If it is local pickup, I call and bring cash.
    I will only use eBay as a last resort. But I will not cut off my nose to spite my face.

"But I will not cut off my nose to spite my face."
    What's a nose?

Boolit Buddy
    I am currently in a fight with EvilBAY about fees, they estimated shipping on an item I sold, and underestimated it by a fair amount, well the buyer paid their estimate, and I still shipped it simply eating the loss, then Evil came back and wanted fees, I dutifully paid the insertion fee(which wasn't supposed to happen as it was one of their Zero Insertion fees promotions), and their final value fee. What I refuse and contend is wrong is a fee on the shipping. Yes, they think that they are due a fee for the shipping of items, this is in the BEST case, a zero net gain for the buyer & seller, however in this case thanks to Evil's inaccurate calculation, it was actually a net LOSS to me.

A commission on selling something is one thing, you know that going in, but a commission on the EXPENSE of shipping an item, that is just wrong in my mind. They are pushing it hard, & I'm pushing back just as hard as I can, oh, and for the record the actual "fee" on this is like $4.50 I know it seems trivial, but it's the PRINCIPAL!!!

Boolit Buddy
    I almost always ask the seller if they will take a Postal Money order before I bid. Takes longer and more trouble but I would rather not get into PayPal at this time.

Boolit Grand Master

They announced they were going to charge fees on shipping over a year ago. It was part of the user agreement you signed up to when you listed the item. More tuition in the college of life. If there i anything to fight about, it's the insertion fee.

Boolit Master
    I strongly suspect that one of the reasons eBay went to charging shipping was because unscrupulous sellers were trying to get around paying fees by doing Buy It Now sales where they were selling a $50 item, that would have cost $5 to ship, by listing the item for $5 with shipping for $50.

Boolit Buddy
    I understand that they probably snuck it into one of their changes that is so full of legalese as to not get read(or if read, possibly missed, which is half the reason for burying things IN legalese).

I may in fact wind up paying it in the end, though for now I am making a point. It's called "non-violent resistance" to something that I believe is fundimentaly wrong. I am also making the point that the actual commission fees that they have lost on other items that might have been listed and hopefully sold, thru them far exceeds the fees they are trying to get for shipping, which they did nothing for, and in fact, due to their inaccurate calculation they COST additional money.

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I set them up with a bank account that I only use to get money out of PayPal and use my credit card to buy things. You don't have to pay by debit.
    That may be the only solution.

I sold off maybe $20K worth of my motorcycle collection before they instituted the Paypal-only policy. Only problems I ever had were Southeast Asian buyers, and that was only two or three out of several hundred. I've bought at least as much or more, had over 1600 positive feedbacks over 12-13 years, always using the same CC, one that I've had since 1986 for heaven's sake, what do they need to "verify"? I'm wondering if my buying 3-4 reloading items in the last month or six weeks set off a tripwire? Or the fact that I use Ghostery to block their snooper scripts? (Great add-in to Firefox, by the way, along with Adblock. And in that vein a huge THANK YOU to Cast Boolits in that Ghostery only finds one script, while some sites have over twenty!)
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Ramar View Post
    "But I will not cut off my nose to spite my face."
    What's a nose?
    We call it the ogive.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Buddy
    ...or that they simply saw it as a way to sneak more funds out of people that wouldn't notice it and pad their own bonus by bringing in additional capitol that they didn't have to EARN, INVEST, or otherwise DO ANYTHING for...

Quote Originally Posted by Alan in Vermont View Post
    I strongly suspect that one of the reasons eBay went to charging shipping was because unscrupulous sellers were trying to get around paying fees by doing Buy It Now sales where they were selling a $50 item, that would have cost $5 to ship, by listing the item for $5 with shipping for $50.

Boolit Master

I have used Ecraze, aka evilbay, aka ebay, forever. It's a forum just like this one. It's purpose is to provide a market place for the world. However, it is incorporated to produce a profit for its investors, unlike this one. It's free enterprise--vote with your money. I have used it for close to 20 years and have used Paypal. Have been frustrated by both of them several times, but for the most part, satisfied with the service provided. I have bought and sold many things on there. I find a lot of humor, such as a $39.99 used Lee mold selling for $113.00. Gotta laugh at myself, sometimes for some of the bonehead things I have done. Still, for what they are, I will continue to use them both. Just like paying consignment fee to a store owner, or a "finders" fee.
    One of my father's favorite statements: "If I say a chicken dips snuff, look under his wing for the snuffbox" How I was raised, who I am.