WidenersInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
RepackboxReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: Lead (maybe) from cemetary...

Boolit Mold

Lead (maybe) from cemetary...

I used to work for a local government a few years ago. One of my duties involved maintenance at our local cemetary.
    Before I left I asked for and was given permission to take a bucket of small letter, numbers and symbols from old, temporary, grave markers that the funeral homes placed until the permanant stone was set.
    Just in case anybody gets nervous that these were "stolen" I can assure you that I asked both the funeral home owners (whom I've know most of my life) and my superiors at work for permission. I would NEVER take something that didn't belong to me ESPECIALLY something as potentially sensative and personal as grave markers nor do I recommend anyone else do so.

Aaanywaay...on to my question.

What do I have. The copper coating appears to be VERY thin. It has a slight "ping" when struck together or dropped on concrete. Some of them are longer and snap when bent.
    I'm thinking (hoping) monotype. I have a bucket of about 135#'s of these.

This piece on the scale is 1 1/4" tall x 1"wide x 1/8" thick

Any help for a newbie will be greatly appreciated!

Boolit Grand Master
    I have the temporary marker from my great uncle's burial site. This marker dates back to 1980 and the letters and numbers are zinc.

Moderator Emeritus

I wonder if they might be collectable or reusable for something else.

But if you want to make boolits from them anyway...Pick a damaged/ugly one and melt it in a small portion of some expendable alloy and see what temp it melts at to determine what the alloy is...Or the muratic acid trick for Zinc.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

If all else fails the one with a wreath would make a heck of an accent piece, a strap buckle or the like. I seem to remember a mortician friend saying they were "pot metal" which usualy means zinc or manganese around here.
    Any man who seeks to live free should keep a Bible on his desk and a .45 in the drawer.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a feeling deep down that they were probably zinc. I'll try the muratic acid test. Did I read somewhere that white vinegar would also work?

I suppose I could try to trade the zinc for some lead or wheel weights.

Banned

someone here was trading ww's for zink straight up airc.
    might have been evan price [not sure]

shady grady , he has or had a WTB add in the want to buy section , last i knew he'd take all the zinc you had ( my problem is sort of a blessing - i've found 3 zinc ww's in my entire casting career .. the problem is i score so few ww's [sigh] )
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Y-T71 View Post
    Thanks for the replies.

I had a feeling deep down that they were probably zinc. I'll try the muratic acid test. Did I read somewhere that white vinegar would also work?

I suppose I could try to trade the zinc for some lead or wheel weights.
    The Works ! toilet bowel cleaner will work also under $2.00 for 28oz, pour it on the the bare metal not the plating , if its zinc it will foam up.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by bobthenailer View Post
    The Works ! toilet bowel cleaner will work also under $2.00 for 28oz, pour it on the the bare metal not the plating , if its zinc it will foam up.
    Roger that. Thanks.

What a coincidence, my toilet needs cleaned too

Also, thanks for the heads up with Shady Grady. If I can't work out a good trade locally I'll probably go his route.

Boolit Mold
    Ok, I picked up "The Works": active ingredient Hydrogen Chloride 20.00% and put a squirt on the bottom, not the copper side of my unknown metal and got no bubbles, foam, fizz, etc.

Then I put some on a known, "ZN" marked, zinc wheel weight. It instantly bubbled and foamed.

That tells me my unknown metal is probably not zinc but I still don't know what it is...

Any thoughts?

In Remembrance

Maybe pewter?

hmmm .... i've seen markers like you've mentioned , never tested them , leaving at least a couple more test . it's possible that whatever it is is plated with something ( maybe a couple somethings even ) scratch one or better yet try to sliver it with a knife - will it do it ? if not - scrape bigger area and test it with the acid again . other test is smelt a bit and watch the temp , here's a chart i found awhile back and posted ( if the link works right - if not in their site on their header bar under "tutorials" is a metal alloy chart , that's what i'm trying to link to ( just in case )) it shows several alloy melt temps

http://shop.princeaugust.ie/metal-alloy-chart/
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Boolit Master

Try melting it under controlled temps if its around 400 degrees it could be tin or pewter if it harder that WW@10 BHN around 20 to 30 bhn & melts around 600 degrees it could be linotype of monotype.

Boolit Buddy
    like all letters linotype

Boolit Buddy
    yes if you got 40 lbs or more of any kind zinc i will trade even for my old ingot lead