Load DataWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Repackbox Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lots of new reloaders!

Quote Originally Posted by Huntducks View Post
    Wrong their are dumb ? .
    Who's dumb?

Boolit Master
    New gun owners / reloaders: IMO most should not start with a progressive press due to most people are no longer mechanicaly inclined. If one can not find and replace a defective circuite breaker or fuse, change their oil and filter, repaire a leaky facute then perhaps they need a mentor before re loading especially on a progressive.

New gun owners and ammo shortage : Guess what all the reloading presses in the world even fully automated $2,500 Dillions are going to be of little use without primers,powder,Boolits and casings.

Goverment wants our guns:

Not really breaking news. A movement under foot in the UN has wanted / be trying / planing on disarming US citizens since 1961. Every time there is a mass shooting no matter the age group, state,firearm type used etc. the Brady Bunch launches another major push for more gun controls.

The most important thing which needs to happen IMO is that a majorty of these new gun owners join and support the NRA and that those who carry seak proper training and then infact practice and shoot often enough to stay decently profecient.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Vendor Sponsor

Case stuffer: I would go one step farther with your last statement. I think every gun buyer should be signed up with the NRA as part of the deal.. It is the one "manditory" thing I'd like to see happen. It could be included in the cost of the gun and if you were already a member it would just become either an extension of your existing membership, or if you were a 'Life Member" it would be a donation to the cause. Nobody is going to miss another $25 added to the cost of any gun. I bought 4 guns last year,, that's an extra $100. We spend more than that on a decent dinner with drinks.

The quickest and easiest way to increase NRA membership that there is. Especially right now.

I always cringe when someone says they aren't a member because of some imagined or even real disagreement with the NRA's positions. I look at it this way. If you're not with us, then you're against us.

Just like voting for Ron Paul because you didn't like Romney,,, NO,,, if you didn't vote for Romney, by default you voted for Obama... simple as that!

Lots of times membership in an organization is more about "the enemy of my enemy, is my friend." You don't have to like everything about them,,, you just have to hate them less than the other *****s!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Its incredible that the NRA has only about 4-5 milllion members when we have about 40-50% of all households with at least 1 firearm. That is probably around 60 million gun owners in this country at last estimate. How eager would these politicians be about more gun control if the NRA had 20 million members?

Boolit Bub
    I think i read manuals for 8 months before i bought my reloading setup. Then i kept reading for 2 months before i used it. Still reading and learning everyday.

Boolit Grand Master
    I passed up a used RCBS press last summer for $35. Rough but functional. I didn't need it. The person who purchased it is probably glad they have it.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Case Stuffer kinda touched on it.....to be safe and successful in our beloved hobby, one must truly be able to exhibit some real COMMON SENSE, which ain't so common anymore. Common sense is a learned process by watching a mentor perform tasks, make decisions, learn how different things operate or work and learn how to build or repair things, and by being allowed to be a part of that process. Computers, video games, and a lot of the other "indoor stuff" has just about taken the real interaction completely out of the equation of life. Interaction has taken on an entirely different meaning in this day and time and common sense has been replaced by ipad, iphone, dvd, blue-ray, etc. If computers went down at Walmart, you would probably be hard-pressed to find a cashier who could give you the correct change without a calculator.....kinda scary!!!!
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

I started with muzzleloaders, casting round ball. I learned about correctly measured charges using BP. Not long after I acquired a couple of revolvers (S&W Model 13 and a Colt lawman Mk III). I wanted to make ammo instead of buying it. I began also with a Lee loader, then moved up to a Lyman Turrent press (which was a piece of junk). I was fortunate to have bought several reloading manuals and did alot of reading and studying before loading shells. Later a friend and knowledgeable reloader acquired a Contender and barrels as I did. That was a big expansion of learning, reading and loading experiences.

One important aspect a new person needs to know is they need a really good powder measure system of some kind. Do not scrimp here !! Having the correct measured loads are extremely important for safety. I have a RCBS 1500 digital scale. I don't have the auto measure component that goes on the scale. I still like using dippers and a dribbler. I make many of my own measures. I made 2 recently. One from a .9MM empty and another from a .40 cal. empty soldered onto a thick copper wire handle. With a little tweaking to case length, they both throw 3.2 grains and 4.0 grains of trailboss respectively. I'm not a high capacity loader, and the dip and dribble system works well for me for all the rounds I load. I have complete control of every process and powder amounts to ensure each round is safe and correct.

It's good there are new reloaders out there, but they need to do more than watch a U-tube video or read an internet posting about reloading. If you don't have a mentor, Interaction with other reloaders and casters here and asking lots of questions will help clarify the process. That is a great start. I'm thankful to Cast Boolits for all the great info that has been posted in the past. I'm not really a newbie, but I still peruse the archives for information and refer to my reloading manuals before I start making a new load. There are ALOT of more knowledgeable and highly experienced reloaders and boolit casters on this list that have posted super valuable information in the past and it is available for reading and learning -- Spend time in the archives as most questions you have may have already been posted in past threads. Lastly ....Having correct and published load data available to you is paramount.

Ohio Rusty ><>
    Last edited by Ohio Rusty; 02-24-2013 at 12:40 PM.
    "This is America !!, where many have fought and died for our right
    to celebrate our views with inflatable creatures in our yards ......."

Yes I am currently trying to help a guy that's been like a Dad to me (mine passed 7yrs ago) get setup for Reloading. He lost 1 of his daughters and wife within 9 months 2011 -2012 and moved in with other Daughter up in Beaufort. Anyway, on his last visit (he comes and spends a week at a time with us) The first thing I did was give him my older "ABC's of Reloading" and my Lyman Manual. Told him to Read on, Read on. I finally have him a pretty nice set of Gear together, although still needing a couple of die sets (.45acp & .380). He's on his way to see us today and has no clue that I have all this Gear for him. Hope I don't give him a Stroke.
    I'm no Reloading Guru but was taught the basic's from my Dad yrs ago, and I've never read a Book. I intend to Read my ABC's when I get my book back. I know other guys that have Loaded for years that never Read a book either, and a couple of them have said "Even after Loading for Years", it did them alot of Good to finally Read a couple Books. Even though I didn't, I still strongly advise anyone that askes me about Reloading to get a couple books and Read FIRST. Then start asking questions. I've spent alot of time here "Just Reading". I've made some deals, and Donated some too (wish I could do more). You guys and This SITE are GRRRREAT and Much Appreciated in MY Book!!
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by jnovotny View Post
    Man there are lots of folks buying reloading equipment and componants these days. I hope that they all can safely reload without any supervision.....
    Yes I hope so too.

I was at my local gun store a couple weeks ago and half ended up in this reloading conversation between a customer and employee. The customer had come in and he had this really old reloading manual. Soft cover, thin, definitely something he had found in a box of his grandfather stuff while putting up the Christmas lights or something. Armed with this pamphlet it sounded like he got curious about reloading and with the panic on came down to the store to ask some questions. His main question was "what do they mean by compressed load". The employee explained and he just couldn't get it. Couldn't visualize in his head the bullet taking up space in the case. Then came the follow up questions like "what the fastest way to count the grains" and "can't I just fill it up to the top and stick a bullet in".

In my mind I'm praying for the employee to give the guy some good advise but he only really answered questions with a yes or no answer. I told him to go buy a new book but he seemed disinterested in that idea.

I'm a book guy. I'll read service manuals for fun. The internet is great, exchanging info with other people is great, but books are the best way to learn in my opinion.

Boolit Buddy
    Ya what doulos said.he is true be safe read and do the right thing do as the book tells you to do.Just be safe and read it all.start low and go from there read and be safe.HOT LOADS mess your gun up fast.don'do it.if you mess your gun up then you can't shoot if you need to.
    We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control.

Boolit Bub
    Just got off the phone with a friend of mine that is looking into reloading 375 H&H. Says that he cannot find load data for the Sierra 350 grain bullet. So he thinks he should be able to calculate the amount of powder necessary based on other load data in the charts.

I tried to explain that the manufacturer's load data is based on extensive testing and pressure measurements, but he thinks he can just tweak some numbers in the charts to get good load data.

I finished the conversation by telling him to take me to the range when he goes, that way I can drive him to the hospital.

The only encouraging part of this conversation is, he does not reload ammo now, and there is no way I am going to allow him to reload something like that with my equipment.

As always, I offered to let him borrow a loading manual so he could learn.

Scary stuff out there.

Boolit Grand Master

I have been working with member Bored1, and it is a pleasure to watch him come along. So far, he has loaded 38S and
    7.62x54R, and cast sized and lubed about 100 ea, 102 gr. .356's, and 100 or so 85 gr. .245's. Have been to the range with him once, shooting K-Hornet, 45-70, 7.62x54R, 38S, 9Luger, and 40S&W. He is a good listener, and is very contentious, and is reading quite a bit in addition to learning from me, this forum, and I have loaned him the two most recent Lyman Manuals. He is the first one I have started in the last few years, and it is something I enjoy.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    New shooters and new reloaders don't bother me. Nor do new drivers, new employees, etc. I was new to most things once.

I remember.

r1kk1

Boolit Master

When I started loading a friend at work schooled me along until I became friends with LAH here on the Vendor Sponsor section. Lynn has been a world of help especially with the casting sessions. I agree that there will be a surplus of equipment coming up for sale as the loaded ammo picks back up. I have heard of one new reloader trying to force primers into LC 7.62x51's, I gave him my swager to use to help him out. Many of the younger generation do not follow directions well at all, All I can say is stay safe and take all the advice you can get.

Quote Originally Posted by dragon813gt View Post

Most new reloaders are going to abandon it as soon as factory ammo becomes available easily. To many people are lazy and would rather just go buy ammo. I'm hoping to score some good deals on barely used equipment when that rolls around
    that happened to me when i brewed my own beer. i brewed my own for yrs then as i got older i became lazier and just bought a 6 pack at the local package store. my need for beer is much lower now too. casting and re-loading is different. i find it relaxing and a diversion. my boolit consumption depends on the weather....
    don't poke a skunk....

Ok guys I'm one of those new to reloading folks y'all are talking about.LOL Here is the case I shoot 410 and they are wallet killers I'm looking into to everything I can before buying. I have been reading a lot but haven't got my books yet but will read them before ever reloading my first shell. At this point my only interest is in reloading for 410 as a way to save money on shell cost. I'm in no rush to get started just trying to learn what all is needed and such. So far I have got lots of great info from this forum which I'm also new to. My whole out look on this is when it comes to something that could blow my @@@ up it won't help me if I'm dead so being safe is the first order for me.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Case Stuffer View Post
    So very true for so many and what I find most troubling about it is that many of these new progressive press owners do not really experienced DIY types. My guess is most could not do an oil / filter change, change a flat tire , replace a water heater, remove and clean a lawn mower carburator etc. It seems like for the past 30 years many just become skilled in thier chosen field and call a professional (?) for every little problem that comes along.
    This is not aimed at you, but the cacophony of echos that people are idiots. Thats all fine and dandy. People are idiots. But just like those tenderfoots that took on the West, these newbs have a hankering and foresight to see that this nation is in peril. Stow the attitude and help these people.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	vert2.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	62998
    Well, considering I'm a Newb yet have done the things mentioned previously (including plumbing and electrical) since I was a kid, including tearing down and rebuilding Corvair engines, I guess I'm capable of progressive reloading... I'll just steer clear of the obviously more superior jobbers that have learned so much but forgot so much more over their life.

While presses and powders can kill or maim a few people.... cars and electricity can kill just as much and just as dead.
    I really like this forum and all but one has answered my questions with class and in the spirit of true brotherhood.

Name:	2903.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	31.4 KB 
ID:	62999

And there is no doubt that this past 15-20 years has seen the end of self-reliant types. But there is a hunger for that knowledge now and its best that we all
    do our best to strengthen our country.
    Those tenderfoots that tamed the west are revered now for their strength in character, determination and willpower. May have been some of your own ancestors.

Name:	012.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	63003
    Yeah I own a goat too
    Democracy... while it lasts is more bloody than either aristocracy or monarchy. Remember, democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There is never a democracy that did not commit suicide.
    John Adams
    Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.
    John Adams

For my rants on things important and not:
    http://commonmanandamerica.wordpress.com/

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    Case stuffer: I would go one step farther with your last statement. I think every gun buyer should be signed up with the NRA as part of the deal.. It is the one "manditory" thing I'd like to see happen. It could be included in the cost of the gun and if you were already a member it would just become either an extension of your existing membership, or if you were a 'Life Member" it would be a donation to the cause. Nobody is going to miss another $25 added to the cost of any gun. I bought 4 guns last year,, that's an extra $100. We spend more than that on a decent dinner with drinks.
    That would be the same as gun registration. Just the NRA would be holding the data until the gov decided it wanted it.

Boolit Master

Reloading isn't as big a deal as some like to make it out to be. I started at age 11 and had been shown the reloading of 2 rounds. Then I was on my own. If I wanted to shoot, I had to reload. It was years before I even read anything more then the instructions that came with the two Lee Loaders.