MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders JerkyLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners

Thread: New Wheel Weights

Boolit Bub

New Wheel Weights

This is a small sample of new wheel weights I found yesterday and thought these pictures might be helpful for future reference.

The piece on the left is from a black label box and the one on the right is from a orange label box. I was able to break both with a pair of pliers. I'm not sure if the orange label boxes are zinc or zinc coated. Regardless I kept them separate. I guess I could call the manufacture to confirm.

I looked on the "Perfect Wheel Weights" website and all they offered was zinc and steel. Might be careful with those.
    Rich

Boolit Bub
    Just put wire cutters on them, and if there's a lot of "damage" you're good.

Boolit Master

If he was able to break them with pliers they are lead. Unless you are a super hero, your not doing that to zinc.....
    "The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789])

Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
    Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Those broken faces don't look like zinc to my eye; zinc (unless heavily alloyed) tends to break with a flatter face and show lots of bright crystal grains at the break point.

Boolit Bub
    All, thanks for the feedback. I tried warming up the pot yesterday to confirm our assumptions but the shippers broke the wire connection on it. I'll post my findings when I get it repaired or fixed. FYI, I'm far from a super hero.

Boolit Master on Heaven's Range
    A close read of the back side of the boxes state they contain lead and antimony. I wonder if that's the entire recipe or do they only list what they consider hazardous?
    "HMMMM.........It wasn't spos'ta do THAT!"

Boolit Master

I would melt, cast and shoot them.
    Just because perfect wheel weights web site only offers zinc and steel, does not mean they did not produce and sell lead wheel weights in the past.
    Those weight do look like lead to me. Yup even the broken ones.
    If you melt them all together and do not mix anything else with them you have zero chance of ruining any good alloy.
    Enjoy your find and put them to good use.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

If it was me i would try to trade the new WW for old WW from a tire shop.Thats just my 2 cents

Boolit Bub
    Casted both black and orange label boxes today and everything went well. The orange label boxes seem to have some type of coating that easily burns off. I've never had to deal with zinc contamination but this alloy filled the mold well and I had no troubles casting today. They melted well below 600 degrees.

Boolit Master

Some of the best castings I've ever seen!! I'll take a truck load of those WWs.