MidSouth Shooters SupplyMCD ProductsLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackbox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do I need to flare 243win for cast bullets?

Boolit Buddy

do I need to flare 243win for cast bullets?

i'm starting to cast boolits for the 243win

what i'm wondering is do i need to use something like a Lyman Neck Expander M Die

or can i just Chamfer the case mouth?

what works for you guys?

thanks
    What I hand-load; .380acp; 9mm/9mmR; 38/357mag; 45acp;
    223rem(5.56mm); 22-250rem; 243win; 6.5 Grendel; 270 win; 30-30win; 308win; 45-70gov.

on the list to start Loading; 30-06 springfield; 222 rem; 6.5x55 swedish

"You might be a gun nut if you load 45-70 on a progressive press" -HICKOK45<- was he talking about me!?!

---
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    _________________ ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I use cast bullets almost exclusively for my .243Win. (Ruger #1) and have always used the Lyman M die. It does an excellent job and is so much easier and more consistent than using a needle nose plier.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Lee Universal Expanding Die. Works for me.
    Will Fly For Boolits

Boolit Master
    There's nothing unique about the .243. You can certainly jam a bullet into the necks, chamfered or not, but you won't damage the soft heels if you slightly flare the mouths first. No other expander works as well as Lyman's M, and Redding's copy of it.

Boolit Buddy
    Lyman M die. Don't load cast without it.
    CF
    Vote Independent, vote Republican, vote Democratic, just don’t vote Incumbent!
    I believe in the Bible, Freedom, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights and personal responsibility. My government believes I am narrow minded, intolerant and dangerous.

Boolit Master
    You will need to flare those case mouths unless you are using an "in-line bullet seater", for me, using one of these requires only chamfering.

for Cast Boolits - I'd say yes.

Boolit Bub
    Another vote YES. If not you run the risk of deforming the gas check AND damage to the lead if you don't get the bullet started centered.

For those non-silver bullets, I now use a VLD chamfer tool and never get rings of copper, so it is very important to bell the cases.

Allen

Boolit Grand Master
    I didn't know that you could load a cast bullet in ANY cartridge without a flare on the case mouth ? ? ?

Ben..Like you I do expand the cast mouths a tad for all cast bullet load. But you don't have to under certain circumstances. If I expand the case mouths to exact bullet diamter, chamfer the cast mouth and use a Vickerman straight line seating die with the bullet chamber a proper fit for the bullet so their is no wiggle, you can seat cast bullets into unflaired case mouths without shaving lead or deforming the bullet.

That said, I still flair case mouths even with such a rig. I just get queasy in my stomach if I don't. Not to flair just doesn't seem right. I use an old Lee 30 caliber crimp die to turn the case mouths back straight, but not produce a crimp. I measure the neck of the completed round with a micrometer to make certain I have it right, before setting the die lock ring.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy
    The REPUBLIC of TEXAS The state most likely to succeed
    Quote Originally Posted by Maven View Post
    I use cast bullets almost exclusively for my .243Win. (Ruger #1) and have always used the Lyman M die. It does an excellent job and is so much easier and more consistent than using a needle nose plier.
    Yea, but one size fits all.
    Keep your powder dry....blackbike
    :takinWiz:

Boolit Grand Master

I sold all of my M-dies on E-Bay, bought Lee expander dies, and made a fair profie overall. Both work, but the Lee is cheaper in the long run.]
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

Boolit Master
    Just like Char-gar i was referring to the use of an in-line bullet seater, especially the Vickerman.

+1 on Lee Universal Expanding die. The Lee powder through expanding die is great for handgun reloading. It can be adjusted to give just a slight flair to insert the cast bullets. I've even had to expand the case mouth when loading plain base jacketed bullets, most especially with the .223. Hate to think of all the .223 case mouths I have crimped trying to seat a bullet. That's the main reason why I try not to purchase any jacketed bullets that aren't boat tails.
    314th Air Divsion
    20th Tactical Air Support Squadron
    RVN 67-68 & 68-69

Personal and Up "Close Air Support"

In Remembrance

The Lee Universal Expanding die should be called a flaring die as all it expands is the rim of the mouth. The Lyman "M" die expands the case neck to a certain depth to permit seating the boolit without squeezing the boolit excessively. The Lee powder through dies for pistol have a neck expander as well as a flare.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, you need a flare. I have had good results with the Lee Universal die. The M die (never
    used one, yet) also can expand the neck to a different size, which may be useful.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I use the Lee Universal Expanding Die. Works for me.
    Ditto, and I follow up with a FCD in the last stage to make sure the neck is properly sized for tight match chambers.
    The Lee is very gentle on the neck, and only does a very slight kiss flare for easy lineup and insertion into the case.
    Griz44Mag
    Here in Texas, It's the Biggest, Best and Most Important (or we just won't talk about it)

One more thought re: neck expansion for CB's. Sometimes case necks sized via a Lee Collet Die need no further neck expansion. (This is more the exception than the rule as only 1 out of 3 of my Lee Collet Dies allows this.) If you have one for the .243Win., why not try it?

Blackbike, funny observation!

Boolit Master

When useing cast bullets is is very benficial to slightly bell the case mouth to avoid lead shaving from the sides of the bullet when seating and thereby reducing the diameter of the bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

Highly recommend you get a new Lyman manual and read same.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying