Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RotoMetals2RepackboxLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lots of new reloaders!

All you have to do is look at any reloading forum and some of the dumbest ? I have ever heard.

Boy Do I ever agree with the previous posts about guys buying progressive presses and zero loading experance, I watched a guy buy a 1050 Dillon fully loaded with ZERO loading time under his belt, ran into him 2 weeks later and his 40 sig would not chamber a round after 5 of his reloads, he was picking anyones brain that would help him.

I loaded my first shotshell when I was 10 that was 55 years ago still remember the press a CH shellmaster
    had a great mentor my brother (15yrs older) bought my first loading set up when I was 16 a Lyman Sparten press, still have my first shotshell press a 600 mec all I use it for is to crimp 3.5" steel.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntducks View Post
    All you have to do is look at any reloading forum and some of the dumbest ? I have ever heard.

Boy Do I ever agree with the previous posts about guys buying progressive presses and zero loading experance, I watched a guy buy a 1050 Dillon fully loaded with ZERO loading time under his belt, ran into him 2 weeks later and his 40 sig would not chamber a round after 5 of his reloads, he was picking anyones brain that would help him.

I loaded my first shotshell when I was 10 that was 55 years ago still remember the press a CH shellmaster
    had a great mentor my brother (15yrs older) bought my first loading set up when I was 16 a Lyman Sparten press, still have my first shotshell press a 600 mec all I use it for is to crimp 3.5" steel.
    A question isn't dumb, its a learning process. Some have taught themselves to load and some are going to need teaching but calling a students question dumb won't accomplish anything but create work for the emergency room. If we want a gathering in this sport, we need to help one another and not criticise. Just saying.

The mindset of loading has certainly changed over the years. The process for many has been distilled to watching u-tube and buying a progressive press. Having myself learned, for a lack of a better term, old school, many of todays newbies questions seem dumbfounding. I buy a few older reloading manuals when I can. Usually for a few bucks at a gun show. When someone expresses interest in hand loading and wants to come over I offer them a manual, and tell them to check out the first few basic chapters before hand. The results are pretty much what you think they'd be.
    If you take a dog which is starving and feed him and make him prosperous, that dog will not bite you. This is the primary difference between a dog and a man.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I would call myself new reloader. Well. kinda.... I didnt just show up when ammo got hard to find, and dive right into it. Growing up my Dad reloaded a ton. I didnt live with dad, but on visits saw it done many times, and all the tools of the trade where common place, and always around in my youth. Well cars, girls, and my youth got in the way, and it was not something I thought about. About 7 years ago when I was in my early 40's dad got sick. Well he talked me into getting my permit and I got my first gun. That first one was a S&W K53Jet. With that I got a lot of empty casings, and the dies to reload. At that point I started reading up. I had ammo to fire, so I did not start yet.. Well much studying, and reading, later... fast foward to last year. Dad passed away and left me the rest of his guns, and his reloading stuff. So sence that ive slowly collected more info, and some components. I had been planning to just buy bullets, but after NY dropped this new firearm laws on our head I started thinking that I might want to be a little more independent. Dad had casting gear, becouse he casted almost all his pistol match stuff, so I decided to get into the casting end also. So... wile I would say Im a new reloader becouse I havent loded by myself yet... Im defently not fly-by-nighter, just flocking after the new law fallout. Im lucky that I have seen it done many times, and also have a step brouther thats goin to walk me through the first loads. The casting part.... well that Im on my own on, and I have more research to do before I jump in!!

I started off reloading 12ga and 410 with my dad and brother when we first started by that some one that we got a 12 go from sold it and added his reloader that was all by hand no machine ,then we got a lee load all and that was back in the late 70's then after I got out of the navy I went into rifle and hand gun and up grade on a press for shotgun but on the rifle and handgun I learn from the book of lyman and I got there press and casting things that was all in the mid 80's my farther had no idea of doing any of the rile or hand gun I learn all form the book . The thing of casting that is where my dad taught me the safty of that because we use to make our own sinkers for fishing and all. He use to work for a foundry years before . I kept up on it then stop due to moven around and then went back into it and yes i have taough some how to do it and I have learn some on here and other sites but most of all from the book and I have many.I had a gunsmith told me that I am the only one that he knows that do the most casting for them self .I also make my own bullet lube. But as for teaching anyone you can see who is really wants to do it or they just say it and like was stated that they buy a progressive loader and do not have a clue on it and they do not want to listen to any advice. It is getting interesting for the times to come and like some said after if this thing is done we will see how many will stay with it and who dose not .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy

I started reloading and casting in 1974. No mentor but I did buy a Lyman reloading manual first.
    Bought a Lee handloader for my .357, 10 lb Lee pot, Lyman sizer and a Lyman mold. Used the Lee powder scoop for the first 1000 or so boolits I reloaded. Now its 40 years later, a couple of dozen reloading manuals, several thousand in equipment and a couple of 100 thousand rounds through a couple of 100 guns and I still don't know enough, but I'm learning
    "An armed society is a polite society" R.A. Heinlein 1907 - 1988

I hear you I am learning also and always looking for other ideas also to make things easy and I still isen the same lyman press I first got to do rifle and handgun and will not part from it and Trerent one .I mainly stick with the Lyman manuals , but have others also .Lyman given more detail I see on reloading even on there cast bullet one that is how i learn . Some say I do not know how to reload or anything about it , but they shoot muzzle loader ,I told them you already know the basic.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master
    The mindset of loading has certainly changed over the years. The process for many has been distilled to watching u-tube and buying a progressive press.
    So very true for so many and what I find most troubling about it is that many of these new progressive press owners do not really experienced DIY types. My guess is most could not do an oil / filter change, change a flat tire , replace a water heater, remove and clean a lawn mower carburator etc. It seems like for the past 30 years many just become skilled in thier chosen field and call a professional (?) for every little problem that comes along.

I started reloading in 1966 with a RCBS Jr. and was drafted same year and spent a year in VN. Got really heavy into IPSC,PPC,Bowling Pins, Steel Plate matches in the early 80's and purchased a Star Progressive (best progressive every made,IMO.) and a CH Auto Champ MK V a. These two progressive presses turned out tens of thousands of rounds per years for a few years until work got in the way and I had to cut way back on my shooting and close up shop on my sideline ammo business. Guess I should note that I cast well over 95% of the Bootlits and only purchased jacketed ones for the few customers who refused to shot exposed lead.

I am retired now and getting back into rolling my own since 9MM has more than doubled and besides that is almost not available. My son is old enough to learn the ropes now and if he continues to show interest I may end up with a loading / shooting buddy which means I will really have a super major problem finding enough primers and powder but there are much worse problems to have.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 02-17-2013 at 06:02 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Grand Master

Yes, it's true that no question is a dumb question. But asking questions that are clearly covered in reloading manuals is reckless behavior. I feel the same way about posting load data on forums. People get mad when you tell them to check a manual because that's where the answers are. I see no need to post load data, especially if it's more than listed max, since they're for your firearms and unless you have pressure testing equipment you can't prove that they're at a safe level.

And the YouTube videos aren't the greatest source of info. A lot of them have wrong practices depicted in them. A new reloader is not going to be able to pick through them and distinguish the good from the bad. Anyone that's not mechanical should not attempt reloading IMO. There are a lot of people that think they're mechanical but really aren't. I'm truly worried that people are going to rush through the process and injure others. If they hurt themselves it's on them. It's inexcusable to hurt others.

Boolit Master
    I am just hoping that someday alot of really lightly used reloading gear will come onto the market for us to share!

Was in the local big box sports store yesterday, all of the presses are gone, even the display models! As i was standing there a guy came up to a salesman and asked about getting a loading setup, something progessive, and that he had between $900-1100 to spend on getting setup. My jaw about hit the floor! I'd be happy to have $100 bucks to spend on more reloading tools or supplies!
    Two weeks ago when i was there, the guy looking at presses couldn't even speak English well enough to get through to the salesman.
    Yep, I'd say we're starting to see some new reloaders. I had a little help getting into it, but for my first rounds, my brother and i figured it out on our own. I have offered to help anyone i know get into reloading and help them down the trail, most take me up on that. This place is where i try and point them all for extra reading and help, i have learned more here than I'll ever really be able to appreicate!
    Raisin' Black Angus cows, outta gas, outta money, outta tags, low on boolits, but full 'a hope on the Rocky Mountain Eastern Slope!
    Why does a man with a 7mag never panic buy? Because a man with a 7mag has no need to panic!

"If you ain't shootin', you should be reloadin' if you ain't reloadin' you should be movin', if you ain't movin', somebody's gonna come by and cut your head off and put it on a stick!" Words to fight by, from Clint Smith

Vendor Sponsor

I started with a Lee Loader, and Lee priming tool and a plastic hammer in 1970 I also got a copy of Lyman #45.
    I seriously question the mindset of people who jump into a progressive press with no basic instruction under their belt.

Understanding the sequence of events in reloading a cartridge is the basic concept of reloading. It must be thouroughly understood front to back, and the reasons why each step if performed must be understood as well.

It doesn't help that there is about 18 different ways to accomplish each step also. This very fact underscores the need to fully understand how and why each reloading step is done.

I have not seen a book that shows all of the different methods of accomplishing each step in case prep or loading. Different ways to deliver a powder charge, different types of sizing dies, seating dies, crimping dies, and what the uses are for each one.

How about case trimming. You can find 25 different tools to do the same job. Primer pocket operations like swaging or chamfering or reaming are another example of multiple choices for tooling.

The actual loading process is pretty simple, you knock out the old primer, size the case, prime it, charge it, seat the bullet, and crimp if necessary.

The problems arise when you see all of the different tools that can be used for each operation.

I had a guy ask me just yesterday if he needed to use a 4 die set or a 3 die set for .45 ACP? I explained how the two different sets worked and he chose the 4 die set.

He didn't understand what the dies actually did. Nobody had explained it to him.

People don't read instructions very well and the fact that they will only read them once and expect to fully understand the proceedure is one of the biggest problems for any technical endevor. The fact that they "think" they understand the concept after one reading is where the problems start.

I assembled my new Bosch Router table Friday. I had to read the instructions several times to get it together right.

One big point here: It won't blow up!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    People don't read instructions very well and the fact that they will only read them once and expect to fully understand the proceedure is one of the biggest problems for any technical endevor. The fact that they "think" they understand the concept after one reading is where the problems start.

I assembled my new Bosch Router table Friday. I had to read the instructions several times to get it together right.
    Randy - considering you actually DESIGN machinery, this speaks volumes.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Wrong their are dumb ? and I think I have read more in the last few mo then I have in 10yrs, read a ? where someone asked, I just got into reloading and my dies have a nail like thing sticking out of it what is that for? GEE I WONDER IF THIS PERSON SHOULD BE RELOADING, I even question if they should own a gun.

You tube is the worst think that has happened to reloading 75% of the shat is wrong and watching it most are guys showing how they cut corners.

AGEE many guys don't have a mechanical bone in there body, they could not put a cork in there rear straight.

Boolit Master
    In '68, my uncle had me punch wads for his 8 & 10 gauges. I think it was the mid 70s when I seen my 1st one piece wad for 12 gauge. If I remember right, I shot a lot of 1-1/4 oz trap loads. Later it became 1-1/8 oz and now 7/8 oz loads are common. He gave me a 375c to load shotshells with. While in high school in the 70s I inherited my grandfathers Mauser in 8mm-06. I loaded using his equipment with surplus powder. It was not only my 1st center fire, but my 1st wildcat of sorts. I read everything I could get my hands on. I bought Speer and Lyman manuals. I bought my 1st pistol in early 80s, a Ruger 44 mag. Been a whirlwind of dies and guns since.

I still love loading shotshells and rifles. I turn out literally tons of handgun stuff each year. The Contender made it possible to accumulate a plethora of different calibers and cartridges.

It seems with every shortage we get more reloaders. I hear more comments and old wives tales that repeat year after year. It's sad as someone pointed out, reloading books sit on shelves when everything else goes. Too bad. Kindle even has reloading books in e-format for the tech savvy.

Oh well,

r1kk1

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by r1kk1 View Post
    . Kindle even has reloading books in e-format for the tech savvy.

Oh well,

r1kk1
    Realy?? I never thought to check that. Thanks for the tip!!

Boolit Buddy
    I am sure I'll get flamed for this. No one has said the obvious about all the new reloaders. Why? Because these people are afraid they wont be able to exercise their 2nd amendment rights without ammunition. And they are right. A gun without ammo is useless. You don't think these people see where things are headed? More people are going out and buying firearms too than ever before.

I had a guy at the gun range lament to me that many of his co workers are all buying guns and many of them shouldn't own one. I answered "did they pass the background check?" And he said "of course". Well" then they can have on" Good thing this guy isn't the one 'making the decisions on who could defend themselves with a firearm.
    The vast majority here on this forum weren't technically proficient at reloading either when they started. And most of us started in a era that wasn't filled with the fear our firearms would become useless paperweights. People are in a panic because they see a government bent on destroying private firearm ownership. Avid shooters and relaoaders aren't the only ones who see this.

We have to stop with this minds set about who is qualified to do this or that. What many of us started as a hobby to save money or because of our interest in firearms.These people are starting reloading because they think its necessary. They dont want to be without ammunition either. Even if they dont shoot as much or have the great interest in the shooting sports like many here. This is a Second Amendment issue in my mind. I will encourage as many as I can to exercise their rights
    Last edited by doulos; 02-18-2013 at 03:09 PM.

doulos

I agree with you, but they also have a responcablity for safe reloading practices and firearm handling, I don't want to be at the range and the bench next to them, like some have posted reloading manuals
    and instructions seem to go unused.

It's like hunting with someone who has no clue about a safty, and they took a hunter safty course.

Boolit Buddy
    I agree about the safety aspect Huntsducks. But I dont ever remember a time so unfriendly to gun ownership and firearms in general. We have to band together and keep reaching out to help those who are new to this aspect of shooting. And teach them as much as we can.

I think it is going to get much worse for firearms owners in this country. Ammunition and reloading components will probably be attacked also. Not just certain types of guns.

Love Life
    I started out reloading on a Dillon RL550B. Progressives presses aren't mythical machines that turn into monsters and double charge your ammunition out of pure joy of watching you have a bad day. I didn't own a single stage press until I had been reloading for about 1 year or so.

At the end of the day it is only a machine and will do exactly what the operator tells it to do. An idiot loads bad ammo on a single stage just as efficiently as an idiot loads 100's of bad rounds on a progressive.

I weighed my shooting needs and bought the best machine to meet those needs. Would I do things differently if I could go back in time? No. Dillons were cheaper back then and I would hate to buy one now.

All that being said if you read the manuals, talk to experienced loaders, watch informative videos that most companies offer, and take the time to do it right then you should have very little issues.
    I agree with NHRifle that we have to get new reloaders to buy and utilize manuals. I fear nothing more than hearing the following at the range "I found this load on the net."

all been said, read multiple sources and don't be afraid of talking to a qualified
    experienced reloading buddy, and always arr on the side of caution(don't boldly go..
    at least at first lol)