MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RotoMetals2WidenersLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question re: Ruger .22 Convertibles

Moderator Emeritus

Question re: Ruger .22 Convertibles

Are the bore diameters different on the .22 long rifle/.22 magnum revolvers? It seems like I remember reading somewhere, that Ruger .22 convertibles were all assembled using .22 magnum barrels.

If so, would this present any realistic accuracy problems?

I had an old model .22 convertible, back in the 60s, and I don't seem to recall any accuracy problems.

The reason I ask is, I'm in the process of buying a stable full of old model Rugers, to replace the ones that I let slip away, over the years.

While I like the .22 mag, I'm just luke warm about it in a revolver, because of the noise. I own a S&W model 48 with the 6" barrel and that thing is very accurate, but it's just not pleasant to shoot, even with electronic muffs.

So. if there's no difference in bore diameters, I plan to look for the convertible, "just because". If there is a measurable difference in inherent accuracy, I will buy the .22 long rifle only.

Thanks for your opinions! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

"Accuracy has a suppressive power all by itself."
    Lt. Gen. George Flynn, USMC

“The Second Amendment was not written to protect your right to shoot deer.
    It was written to protect your right to shoot tyrants…”
    Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    Someone's going to jump in here and tell you about the difference in bore diameters and bullet diameters but the truth is, they are the same barrels. Also, there are a number of statistical studies done showing the "overlap" of bullet diameter and bore diameter of these two cartridges. I owned a Ruger convertible back in the early 90's that I shot silhouette with. It didn't matter which ammo I used, that gun was superbly accurate. I shot a 77x80 with it at the Internationals and several 40x40s with it at state and regional shoots. What I did find with that gun was that not all chambers shot well. I marked them and fired each one for grouping. I found two that were not shooting as well as the other four. I sent it back to Ruger and got a new cylinder for it and after that is shot lights out. Technically, there might be a "paper" difference but statistically, the diameters overlap on both the bullets and barrel diameters. Try different bullets and you'll find one or two that will shoot well in either 22LR or 22Mag.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a single six .22 convertible not long ago. Haven't tried the mag cylinder, and am not itching to use it any time soon. It shoots real accurate with the regular LR cylinder. I'm happy I got it.

Moderator Emeritus

NSB, congratulations on your silhouette shooting abilities and thanks for the information re: the accuracy of the Ruger convertible. That's exactly the type of info I'm looking for.

What was the barrel length on that Ruger convertible and did you find the noise of the .22 magnum rounds to be distracting, or is it just me? Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 45sixgun View Post
    I got a single six .22 convertible not long ago. Haven't tried the mag cylinder, and am not itching to use it any time soon. It shoots real accurate with the regular LR cylinder. I'm happy I got it.
    What barrel length is yours, .45sixgun?
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master
    I've got a mid 80s I believe, in a 6.5" barrel. I don't discern any difference in grouping between either the 22Magnum or 22LR. The magum is noisy, but I kinda like it. I dont' like the cost of the magnums.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Buddy
    What barrel length is yours, .45sixgun?
    Mine has the 6 inch barrel and fixed sights. I thought the barrel was too long at first, but I've grown to like it. Here's a quick group I shot right after getting it. No sandbags, just resting hands on table. The gun was used and I didn't even clean it first (I know, I'm lazy). I've also heard that certain brands and types of ammo can really increase accuracy. I haven't tried out all of the options, but I thought this first group was pretty decent.

Boolit Master
    I've owned several over the years and finally came to the conclusion they are not accurate with both the 22 LR and 22 Mags. They were all usually more accurate with the mags.
    Now I own a Single 10 and a Single 9 and both are accurate

Boolit Mold
    The Ruger Single-Six first had a bore dia of .222 , when the WMRF was added the dia was changed to .224 for both the .22 LR and the .22 mag . This is why Ruger will not install a WMRF cylinder to a revolver under serial number 150000 .
    Sam

Boolit Master

I have a Ruger hunter model and it is super accurate with both 22lr and 22mag.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Johnson View Post
    The Ruger Single-Six first had a bore dia of .222 , when the WMRF was added the dia was changed to .224 for both the .22 LR and the .22 mag . This is why Ruger will not install a WMRF cylinder to a revolver under serial number 150000 .
    Sam
    Sam, first of all, welcome to cast boolits. You should post more often!

So, IOW, it wouldn't matter if I bought a convertible or a .22 LR only; above serial number 15000, they all have a bore diameter of .224"? Is that correct? Thanks, Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 45sixgun View Post
    Mine has the 6 inch barrel and fixed sights. I thought the barrel was too long at first, but I've grown to like it. Here's a quick group I shot right after getting it. No sandbags, just resting hands on table. The gun was used and I didn't even clean it first (I know, I'm lazy). I've also heard that certain brands and types of ammo can really increase accuracy. I haven't tried out all of the options, but I thought this first group was pretty decent.

45sixgun, thanks for the reply and the photos! That's an outstanding group at 30 yards. Definitely well within "minute of squirrel" at my usual handgun hunting ranges. Tt.
    Last edited by Treetop; 02-03-2013 at 01:45 AM. Reason: left out a word!
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Master

hey,, i know how to put your mind at ease,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Buy the ruger sigle-six,bisley model. That way, you wont know how it shoots the mags,cause it only comes with lr cylinder, and the gun costs more then the standard single-six.But you do get scroll engraved cylinder though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously though,, my bisley is a solid,under 2 inch group gun,@ 25 yards.Shoots pretty well.Never figured out why ruger wouldnt sell the bisley with dual cylinders.......

Boolit Mold
    Tt, Yes...,,, you are right , sn below 150000 no WMR. .224 dia.
    Last edited by Sam Johnson; 02-04-2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: added data

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Johnson View Post
    Tt, Yes...,,, you are right , sn below 150000 no WMR. .224 dia.
    How would I find out what year Ruger produced their 150000 serial numbered Single Sixs? Or would you happen to know, off hand, Sam? Thanks, Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Mold
    Tt,, That would be 1959 , Here is a link to the Ruger history, just click on the model you are interested in for a serial number by year list.
    www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html#
    Also there is a phone number listed for more info but be advised they now charge a fee for a letter .
    Sam

Moderator Emeritus

Sam, thank you for sharing your knowledge and the Ruger history linky! Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Sam's pretty much dead on, I have Single Six Serial # 1527XX and it was shipped January 1960, but the first factory convertibles didn't come out until 1961 at Serial # 162XXX and they were 9 1/2" guns. The 5 1/2" guns started at about 170XXX and the 4 5/8's at 173XXX. Ruger came out with the 22 Mag only guns in 1959 and that must be when they changed to the bigger barrel in all Single Six's, saved money with only one type barrel to use, and Bill Ruger wouldn't put out any more money then he had to. If they made mistakes in the factory he just made a new model gun for however many mistakes they made, like the 6 1/2" Supers and 4 5/8's" Super Single Sixes, and sold them.
    McLintock

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by McLintock View Post
    If they made mistakes in the factory he just made a new model gun for however many mistakes they made, like the 6 1/2" Supers and 4 5/8's" Super Single Sixes, and sold them.
    McLintock
    McLintock, Could you please explain that statement further? I've read it several times and I'm still not sure what you are saying.

Are you saying that the Super Single Sixes were mistakes or had issues? If so, please educate me, because that's the revolver that I am thinking of buying! Thanks, Tt.
    "Treetop"
    Sgt. USMC
    1968-71

Judge Andrew Napolitano

Boolit Mold
    Treetop, Maybe I can help clear this up. The Super ref here is the Ruger Super Blackhawk, cal ..44. model BKH 47, which were made with a 7.5 inch barrel . The 6.5 inch were produced in error by a Ruger employee who thought they were cutting .41 mag barrel stock for the 6.5 inch model BKH-42.
    About 600 were made in 1966.
    Sam
    Last edited by Sam Johnson; 02-06-2013 at 11:27 PM. Reason: correct info