Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extremely "Green," and need some advice.

Boolit Mold
    Didn't cross my mind to check some used book stores. This is looking like far more of a science and less like a skill than I could have ever imagined. It is also somewhat overwhelming, but I know I am in the right place for advice and I hope to begin some casting real soon. However, for now it is time to do some reading, re-reading, and learning.

Once again, thanks to everyone for y'alls kind advice.

Banned

oh no there is skill and judgement involved.
    if we had the equipment to make it a science we wouldn't get any casting done.

Boolit Master
    This is looking like far more of a science and less like a skill than I could have ever imagined.

Brahma,
    Casting isn't about science. It's about being self sufficient and independent. It's about having an enjoyable and relaxing hobby. It's about inexpensive shooting. I dare say that, if boolit casting was a scientific endeavor, instead of this site having 25,000 members, it would have but a handful.

Relax, you're among friends who want to help.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Brahma View Post
    This is looking like far more of a science and less like a skill than I could have ever imagined. It is also somewhat overwhelming,
    Naw, just do the reading and when questions pop up just come here and ask away. The only dumb question is the one you don't ask. Not science but there are basics and the recommended reading will cover much of that. Might seem overwhelming at first but that's just because it's new, it will all click together before you know it.

Before ya know it you’ll be right here answering questions from a newbie.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Well put. I guess a lot of things are overwhelming when new. Seems as if just starting out and taking that first step might be the hardest part. Thanks again to everyone for the help!

Boolit Master

Brahma,

Welcome aboard! I once lived in your area. Apologies for the brief post I left earlier. I just don't enjoy typing on a phone that much and it isn't suited for looking up other stuff while already on a website.

LASC, the Los Angeles Silhouette Club, has a lot of well written quality articled including "From Ingot to Target: A Cast Bullet Guide for Handgunners ©" available at http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm.

I see you've been visiting the stickies on this site.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Brahma, keep pressing on with learning and keeping the cap on. Good job. The from ingot to target is a great ebook that i have found alot of answers to and the lymans manuals are great. As a newb myself, i got overwhelmed quickly and had to step back, start small and ask questions here as they came up. The stickies and search on here can find alot of answers. Keep up the good work!
    Healing hurts. It is supposed to.

RED HORSE US Air Force

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    Your very best sources of QUALITY boolit molds is right here on this Forum in the Group buy section!!!

IMHO, there is only a few custom makers that compare to Quality of what we have here.

if you need gas checks then Blammer is the source of Gator gas checks, there is no comparison to these in quality or price short of getting a Freecheck III from a member of this Forum also.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Buddy
    Brahma welcome

Try to score as much lead and lead alloy as possible. Tons of the stuff, any useable alloy. Scarfing up lead can become a side hobby to casting.
    Jim
    Cast boolets are the true and rightious path to shooting bliss.