WidenersRotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Extremely "Green," and need some advice.

Boolit Mold

Extremely "Green," and need some advice.

As the title states, I'm very new to casting and reloading, and decided to try and pick up both as a hobby since I have put the bottle down and came into a lot of free time. I've been reading through the stickies and tons of threads, and a lot of members have posted on the importance of acquiring a reloading/casting manual or handbook. That being said I was wondering if anyone had some recommendations as to manuals that are geared much more to the beginner reloader/caster? At Barnes & Noble I've seen things like "The ABC's of Reloading," and a few others. Are these worth their weight for a beginner like myself or would I be better off with something else?

Also, is there a way to determine how many pounds of lead is required to cast X amount of bullets? I realize bullet size varies and certain sizes require more or less lead. That being said if i wanted to cast 1,000, 40S&W with a TC roughly how many pounds of lead would I need?

Thanks in advance for everyone's help. Howdy!

Super Moderator

The Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook would be a good place to start. Other load manuals are helpful for reference. For 1000 40 cal boolits, depending on weight you will need probably somewhere around 25-30 lbs of alloy.

Love Life
    1lb=7,000 gr

7,000/Bullet weight= Number of bullets per pound.

Example: 7,000gr/125gr=56 125gr bullets per pound

1,000 bullets/56= 17.857142 lbs of lead

or

125gr*1000=125,000gr/7000gr=17.857142 lbs of lead

Boolit Master

Take a look at the stickies here and do a search for the LASC website.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

7000gr to a lb of lead. So for a 230gr 45ACP I get 30 boolits per lb.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

WOW slow on the post...+1 what Love-life said. Oh and welcome to the site and casting lot of good info here.

"That guns do more than protect us from criminals; more importantly, they protect us from the ongoing threat of government."
    Lyn Nofziger

There are 7,000 grains per pound. The only 40 cal bullet I cast is nominally 175 grains. That works out to 40 boolits per pound. To get 1,000 boolits, I'd have to cast 25 pounds of alloy. But the thing is, that would be only if I let my pot run dry. Since I generally never let my pot get more than half empty, I'd need 1.5*25 or about 38 pounds. That's just my rule of thumb to make sure I have plenty warming up and ready to be added.

Other people do it differently, I just don't like letting my furnace get too low and 1/2 full is the lowest I let it get.
    Last edited by ku4hx; 02-01-2013 at 04:58 PM.

Boolit Master
    Any reloading manual, i.e. Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, Speer, teach hand gun and rifle reloading and safety procedures, and list their loads. For boolit casting, either the third or fourth editions of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbood are the caster's Bible.

If I were to have only two references, they would be Lyman's Reloading Handbook, 45th edition, and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook, third edition.

Love Life
    Every now and then I get a chance to beat the other members to posting useful information!

Boolit Mold
    Y'all have definitely answered my question. Thanks for the help.

Boolit Master

Green makes me think of the libs....
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    Green makes me think of the libs....
    Funny, I thought of RCBS.

Boolit Master

I'm a little too politically minded for my own good at the moment, lol
    JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

GOA and FPC have done more in the last decade than your NRA has done in it's entire existence... Support the ones that actually do something for you.

Boolit Mold
    Yikes, Definitely meant green as in new, and that is every bit worth of clarifying.

Boolit Master

Welcome back! My Dad visited the other place and we(and he) were all happy when he came home.
    Every shot you get in life counts

Boolit Master on Heaven’s Range
    Brahma, Welcome to the forum!
    If nothing elts keep reading here.
    Their is a welth of info. here.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!
    Ben Franklin

Boolit Grand Master

Brahma, welcome to CastBoolits.

Here are the best places for a new caster to start reading.

From Ingot to Target
    Complete LASC article index
    The most complete index of Glen E. Fryxell articles on the internet

Down load From Ingot to Target and print it out, you'll refer to it often.

For reloading any of the major reloading books have intructions for reloading. The newest Speer book is good but any of the powder/bullet reloading books will give valuable info.

Rick
    "The people never give up their freedom . . . Except under some delusion." Edmund Burke

"Let us remember that if we suffer tamely a lawless attack on our liberty, we encourage it." Samuel Adams

NRA Benefactor Life Member
    CRPA Life Member

Boolit Master
    Brahma welcome, also congratulations if you are indeed keeping the Demons under the cap. "Extremely Green" either very smart as bait or lucky use of words to lure. I for one hear that and the hair starts up the neck and had to look. Like others have said, read, read, read, and when you start warming your fingers you will be so much richer in knowledge to react to the situations THAT will arise. I think there is more than enough information in all the sticky's and threads to get you well on your way. This all free and left by a great group of individuals that have been there - done that. Good Luck on both of your trails. Gtek

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome! To reloading/casting and Life (I too started reloading a couple years after I met Bill W.). ABCs is good for general reloading and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for casting (if you can find a 3rd Edition get it, I believe it's better for a beginner than the 4th). Casting and shooting your own products made for your own guns is prolly the most satisfying aspect of home made ammo....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    Welcome! To reloading/casting and Life (I too started reloading a couple years after I met Bill W.). ABCs is good for general reloading and Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook for casting (if you can find a 3rd Edition get it, I believe it's better for a beginner than the 4th). Casting and shooting your own products made for your own guns is prolly the most satisfying aspect of home made ammo....
    +1. Check used book stores for the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3. The #3 and #4 Cast Bullet Handbooks are the best "primers" to have for basic cast bullet reloading skills in my humble opinion. You can then build on your reference library with the others. I've been casting my own since '68 (have been shooting cast since '64) and still always reference the manuals for basic info and technique. No matter how much we think we know and will not forget a mind is a terrible thing to lose and the older one gets the more you misplace it............I would get Lyman's #49 Reloading manual (for both jacketed and cast bullets) before I'd get the ABC's manual though.

Larry Gibson