Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Case trimmer recommendation.

I'll second the Wilson. They work well.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Those nice people at Sinclair International sent me a catalogue (to take all my money away )

Anyway The Forster and Wilson get a good rap here.

The thing that bothers me the most is both appear to reguire lots of extra collets (Forster) or trimmer case holders (wilson). Other brands of trimmer seem to only require the pilots (many of which come with them anyway)

I load for (or plan to in the future) the following: 22 Hornet, 223, 6.5 Swede, 7.62x54, 308, 303 Brit, 357 Mag, 45 Colt and 45/70.

How many extra collets will I need if I go down the Forster road?, How many case trimmer holders if I go the Wilson route?

I don't want to spend a fortune to get the job done.

Not sure if this is the case with all the Forster trimmers but mine came with two collets. They are stepped inside so each collets can handle several different case sizes. The ones it came with have handled every cartridge I have put in them.

Boolit Master
    I'm a Forster fan. My trimmer was the first serious reloading tool I bought. I was loading with a Lee Loader for 243 and bought the trimmer and a McKillen & Heyer case length gauge so I could check length after quite a few firings.

As far as collets go I think you can cover about 90% of the common calibers with two collets. I'm pretty sure it takes two to cover 308 and the common belted mag case heads as well as 30-30. I think there are only four in all and one of them is only for 45-70 and derivatives.

I was using mine today to trim a batch of reformed 300 WM to 350 RM length so there was a bunch of brass coming off. Found out that I can close the 1/2" chuck on one of my cordless drills directly onto the cutter shaft so there's no worry about possibly (although I never have) buggering up the threads by chucking them to run the trimmer under power.

I too am looking for a new trimmer. I've about decided Forster is the way to go after doing a lot of reading and research and this thread is only confirming what I have read.

If you get the Forster Original Case Trimmer Kit it comes with all the collets and stuff you need. Currently $87.99 at Midway, and a few dollars less at Cabelas.

Here is the info from Midway:

Collets Used: Forster "Original" Case Trimmer Collets #1, #2, #3, #4
    Collets Included: Yes Collets #1, #2, #3 (they will fit most rifle cases from the 17 Remington to the 375 H&H and most handgun cases from 38 Special to 45 Colt (Long Colt)
    Pilots Used: Forster
    Pilots Included: Yes, Pilots for 22, 24, 25, 27, 28 and 30 caliber pilots. (Additional Pilots Sold Separately)
    Features: Used to trim cases from 17 Caliber (with additional 17 caliber cutter shaft Not Included) up to 458 Caliber

They have another kit, I think it is called the "classic" kit, but it is for big bore stuff. I just shoot "normal" calibers.

I had better try Cabelas. Midway won't post overseas, and Sinclair doesn't do the kit (or at least it's not listed in their catalogue). If I buy in separate pieces it will come to a lot more than the prices you've listed.

Thanks to all for the info.

Any body got a number for cabelas?

TIA

Its hard to beat the "universal" case holder on the Lyman, as stated depending on your needs.
    If you get one ; get the carbide cutter and power adapter.

Boolit Mold
    I use the Wilson and a battery screwdriver for rifle. Love it to death although it is SLOW. Try doing 1000 50 BMG and you will understand. Don't use if g&r pistol brass

Boolit Bub

I use the Lyman universal. I got it twenty or so years ago with both the hand and power cutters for it. For what I use it for they work great but I don't reload any pistol just rifle cases. So like the other guys here have said it just depends on what your needs are.

Another happy L.E. Wilson trimmer owner.

Another happy Lyman, Lyman, RCBS owner.

The only trimmer I've ever used is my Forster, I have never felt the need to try anything else.

I actually holding off till this one comes out in the next few weeks for my rifle rounds https://fsreloading.com/news.php#LeePrecisionNewFor2013. I figured it is cheap enough and if it works is pretty easy to use as well as fast.
    Joe

Boolit Buddy
    If you are looking for a power trimmer I really like the RCBS Trim Pro power. I had a ton of .357 cases and .44 mag cases and .357 maximum and 45-70 that were all different lengths. I trimmed them so fast I was surprised. . Looks complicated but really isnt.

I bought a Giraurd for doing .223, when I went through the Ar-15 phase,

It is fantastic for that, or any high volume bottle neck case!!

I have always used a Lyman and Redding for handgun cases.

I am on an accuracy kick with my Freedom Arms now, and just ordered a Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate stainless trimmer.

I want to experiment with .357, .44, .454 cases, and see if trimming the cases more exact makes any difference.

The Lyman is getting pretty worn, and has not ever been real precise.

Bob

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BRobertson View Post

I am on an accuracy kick with my Freedom Arms now, and just ordered a Sinclair/Wilson Ultimate stainless trimmer.

I want to experiment with .357, .44, .454 cases, and see if trimming the cases more exact makes any difference.

Bob
    I just saw a video of that Giraurd trimmer. Looks like a beast of a trimmer.

Boolit Mold
    Darn you guys. I was up until 2 AM last night looking at trimmers on the Web, because of this thread!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewald View Post
    Darn you guys. I was up until 2 AM last night looking at trimmers on the Web, because of this thread!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lXo96H-h7k

rcbs also has this head available for it
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/145...ter-22-caliber
    dont have one of these but looks interesting

There is some great products out there from a lot of different manufacturers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by BRobertson View Post

Bob
    I think many would be surprised at the difference in case length of magnum cartridges if they measured them. I know I was surprised. It definitely cant hurt to check and trim them. Your OAL and bullet seating depth affects your pressure. And the cartridges you mention are high pressure handgun rounds.