RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: S&B Primers with Hornady LNL

Boolit Mold

S&B Primers with Hornady LNL

A few weeks back I picked up a case of 5000 S&B Large Pistol primers from grafs, mostly because they didn't have any other brand in stock and they where only like $106. I've pretty much loaded with cci since I've started and never had any issues with them. A few days ago I tried loading some up in my hornady lnl press and the primer shuttle kept getting stuck. I probably took the shuttle and primer tube a part 5 or 6 times trying to clean it and it still would jam. The only other time I had my primer shuttle jam so much was when I forgot to change out my large primer tube when I switched to loading small list rounds. Then it occurred to me that the s&b primers might be a little smaller. I measured them with the calipers and compared them to cci primers and it turns out that they were indeed smaller but not by much, it was at most .0005 smaller but I guess that's enough to case them to turn sideways a bit in the tube and jam. I strip searched the Internet to see if anyone else had this issue and I only found 1 other person who said they had this issue and their solution was to alternate picking up a s&b primer and another brand primer in the tube. I tried this and it worked but its still a pia. I guess I could always sell off the primers but I really don't want to part with any primers in hard times like this. I guess I could always load them up on my single stage press. Anyone else have issues with the primer press combo?

S&B Primers with Hornady LNL

I saw those at Graf's Tuesday and passed. Not had good luck with import brand primers at all. I won't buy them.

Went rabbit hunting two years ago with a friend and his "special rabbit handloads" made with Noble Sport 209 primers. One shell out of a box of 25 went boom. The other 24 went phhfffft. He's an avid trap shooter and reloader so it wasn't his loading skills.