Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading Everything
WidenersLee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication

Thread: Rebarrelling a Rolling Block

Rebarrelling a Rolling Block

I've been thinking about rebarrelling a rolling block I have that is chambered for .43 Spanish. The rifle has already been sporterized so no need to keep it as is and the chamber is out of round causing a slight bulge on one side of the brass. I was wondering if anyone had a gunsmith they could recommend or a website I could check out for prices and options? I'd love to hear about other member's projects and ideas of what caliber to go with. I have plenty of 45-70s and a 50-70. Maybe a 45-90 or 50-90 with a heavy octagon barrel?

I look forward to the discussion!

Boolit Bub
    Did mine in 40-65 win half round half octagon
    Wells

Wells, That sounds cool! Where did you get the barrel and who installed it for you? Also, do you know what twist it is?

Boolit Master

I do about 1 a month.

Boolit Master
    I favor the .40's myself. A .40 2 1/2" (.40-70 straight) is very accurate & easier on shoulder than the bigger .45's.

Boolit Mold
    Had a military 7mm with a trash barrel done to .45-90 by Arnold Erhardt in Helena, Mt., back in the mid '80s A meat maker deluxe. I love it.

Perm-Banned
    try a 40/65, and make a 1/14 twist and shoot a long paperpatched bullet in it. possibly use reloader 7 as the powder. that would be a good long distant gun. do you shoot at the alliance range?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    I favor the .40's myself. A .40 2 1/2" (.40-70 straight) is very accurate & easier on shoulder than the bigger .45's.
    There are about 8 different 40-70s, sharps has the strait and bottle neck. Then there is the Winchester, Ballard, Maynard, Peabody, Remington and probably a few others. The 40-72 is so close it might as well be on the list also. I did a two barrel set for a takedown in 40-72 and 405 which use the same brass except the bullets are .005" different in diameter The 40-72 is a pleasure to shoot but the 405 will rock you.

I had John King in Montana do my Rolling Block, he sporterized the action and installed a barrel off a C. Sharps Hi Wall for me, he's a well known BPCR gunsmith; it was in 38-55 though. John Taylor has also done work for me and he's excellent, so you pays your money and takes your pick. Sounds like you're wanting one of the big blasters, just remember, I think there can be overall length issues with the longer, big caliber Rollers, trying to get the shell in the chamber over the block; maybe someone else can address that.
    McLintock

Thanks for all of the input!!! I am leaning towards a .40 caliber now. I would like to some day shoot a BPCR silohouette with this rifle. I did some research on the .40-65 and .40-70 straight and they look promising. The 40-65 looks like it would be more economical than the 40-70 to load. I am still trying to figure out which one to go with!

In Remembrance

The .40-65 can be made from .45-70 brass. The .40-70 Sharps brass is a bit more difficult to acquire. I agree with the 1 in 14" twist. I had my Greener-Martini re-barreled in .40-65 with the 1 in 14 twist and it will shoot the really long bullets quite accurately. Shooting 400+ grain slugs does negate somewhat the benefit of smaller caliber. My favorite loading is the Redding 300 grain .410-300 over 55 grains of Goex FFg.