RotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: 25-35 win. - Anyeone Have.... ??

Boolit Master

25-35 win. - Anyeone Have.... ??

A source for jacketed flatnose in the original 117 gr version - Or some old stock that they may be willing to part with? I have not been able to find these for at least 10 years or so, and don't think any of the manufactures are making them anymore. Yes I do use cast - But occaisionally want to shoot jacketed at higher velocities. Thanks for looking.
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Buddy

I use the Hornady 117 inter lock RN. they are in stock at midway at $23 a box, I just ordered some last Friday.

Boolit Master

Yes, I have used them as well - But looking for Flat nose at this time. Thanks for your reply.

Boolit Master
    I've had my 1894 25-35 lever well over 25 yrs. I've never seen a flat head store bought. Like the others owners here Hornady 117s for me as well. Reads like your looking for obsolete & now extinct factory 25-35 Winchester ammo. Good luck with that search Sir.

Boolit Master

Sorry for the confusion. Not looking for factory extinct flat nose ammo - However Winchester is still making 25-35 on a seasonal basis in factory loaded rounds. I bought 3 boxes for a friend who does not reload or cast. Manufacture date on these was 2011. I am looking for flatnose jacketed slugs (components) -Which I used to be able to buy and were made by Winchester. These may have been available from other companies as well

Boolit Man
    I have not seen 117-grain flat nosed component bullets for sale for a long while.
    In the modern Winchester M94 Angle Eject rifle I load the 100-grain jacketed bullets above 2,600 fps using Alliant Reloder 10X and above 2,500 fps using IMR 4320, Alliant Reloder 15 and Hodgdon Varget. I have found a few of the old stock round nose .25 caliber bullets intended for the .25 Remington and a very few of the 100-grain round nose Nosler Partitions (from the late 1960’s) which I believe were intended for the 257 Roberts.
    Ken Waters wrote an article titled “Bullets Wanted” and one of his requests was for a modern 100-grain .25-caliber flat nose bullet for the 25-35. Absent this I use the Speer 100-grain JHP which originaly was intended as a varmint bullet for the 257 Weatherby and other high velocity .25 caliber carridges. At 25-35 velocities the 100-grain JHP bullet works well on our little deer. I feed these through the magazine of my M-94 with no problems.
    Slim

Boolit Master
    Something that can be done to a RN bullet or boolit to convert it to FN is to bump them flat in a lube sizer press.
    For your purpose you would use a .258" die in the press with a flat bottom punch in the ram.
    Adjust the depth stop fully down so the bullet will not bottom out in the die. Now hold the ram down with a bullet inverted nose first in the die. Adjust the depth stop up until it contacts the bullet in the die. Back off the ram and adjust the depth stop up in not more than 1/8 turn increments and with each adjustment bottom out the ram to bump the nose of the bullet in the bottom of the die. Adjust the depth stop to get the desired amount of bump for the amount of flat nose neaded.
    If the bullet is so long that you lack enough adjustment in the depth stop you can make a ram stop from large washers to limit ram travel and will work just as well as the depth adjuster under the die.
    I would use some type of lube on the bullets to keep from scratching them on the lube vent holes. Its best to keep some lube pressure in the press but that will mean you will get some lube on the olgive of each bullet that will need to be cleaned off. You can avoid the lube thingy by putting the bullets in the die base first then bumping the nose with the flat bottom punch but bumping at the bottom of the die with the bullets incerted nose first holds everything in more precise alignment.
    Play with it a bit and you will figure out how to get the results you want.
    Last edited by Bullshop; 01-29-2013 at 12:16 PM.

Boolit Master

Thanks Bullshop. I am using a Star - But think I can figure out how to get that accomplished. Will have to order a die though. I did find a couple of Winchester yellow box (probably 60's vintage) 257 - 117 gr RN with a cannelure. Have bumped some older remingtons but not in such a precise manner. William -I would love it if Ken Waters dream came true for a modern 25 cal flat nose for us 25-35 dinosauers - But somehow i'm not sure there is enough money in it for the big boys. I would be happy to be surprised by being wrong about that though. Will not hold my breath unless someone tells me it's time to get excited. Still think that somewhere out there I might luck on to some older flat nose stock.

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    I put a 25/35 octagon 1 in 8" twist barrel meant for a 94 Win on a 98 Mauser with a threaded bushing adapter. Rather than open the bolt face up, I just cut some 30-30 case heads down to .47".
    I can run it at what Quickload thinks is 87 kpsi.

I have a Win 94 and a Marlin 335 that are conversion candidates. They do not look strong at all to me.

another guess for your needs would be to do a smokless powder paperpatch job where the lead never meets the steel of your barrel. i have run these at over 2300 fps outta my 308 win model 700 with some success. this would do 2 things...allow you to make-n-roll your own boolits and also to be a way cheaper source of ammo thru a bit of work on your part. just a thought for your delema on flatnose ammo for your .25