MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersReloading Everything
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 410 reloading?

"Moderator Emeritus"

I have been using one of these (or one real similar) for the past year or so, works good. It kills Grouse just as good a factory loads.
    Krag35

I have never met a dishonest dog.

Expatriate, in my own country.

At one time, I used to make Lee Loader style gizmos in .410. I stopped due to liability concerns. If you PM an E-mail address to me, I'll send you my drawings & instructions.

I found that the Winchester .410 HS hulls lasted far better than any other plastic hull. I also found that .410 hulls vary so much, that a set of dies that will work well on one brand of hull, will generally not work so well on others.

I used to have a thread that explained everything in detail, but I think it got deleted when I gave up my vendor sponsor status.

This little thread still exists. It tells of the problems that I had loading buck in a .410. The wads I was using didn't seem to give enough padding. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...&highlight=410
    Last edited by JIMinPHX; 01-20-2013 at 01:30 AM.
    “an armed society is a polite society.”
    Robert A. Heinlein

"Idque apud imperitos humanitas vocabatur, cum pars servitutis esset."
    Publius Tacitus

Boolit Master
    I'm loading 444 brass for 410 2 1/2"

For deprime, I use a lee universal decap die.

for priming, I prime on my rcbs press, same as any other rifle / pistol round. I did have to buy the shell holder for 444. I use large pistol primers.

I charge with my lyman 55, same as any other

for wads, i'm using Federal plastic wads. They do fit a bit loose, but work fine. You do have to make sure it's firmly seated ( good wad pressure)

I made a ramrod to seat the wads. I took a 5/16 x about 4" bolt, and a wood drawer knob ( both from home depot) drilled partially into the knob. I glued the threaded end of the bolt in the knob, then ground the head down on the bolt till it was small enough to fit / clear inside the wads.

I give a firm push to seat the wad solidly.

For shot, I slightly shortened a 44 mag brass , to dip 1/2 oz shot. A 44 special case may work as is ( haven't tried the special).

I use a BPI 410 overshot card and a bead of elmer's glue all to finish the shell. The true 410 dia cards are a bit small, but do work. Next time, I'll probably go with circle fly wads overshot cards in .430, or maybe .450. I don't crimp.

For powder, I first tried a "by the book" load for 410 plasic cases, with win 296, as I had that on hand. It didn't work well. I had inconsistant velocity, lots of unburnt powder, and about 2 - 6 "bloopers" ( very low vel, barely makes it out the barrel) per box.

I posted a thread about this, and was recommended (here, on this board) a load of 8.5 gr herco. It works wonderfully, and very near duplicates factory I think. You won't find this load in any book. The case volume / expansion area of brass cases are not the same as plastic. As with any load, use at your own risk.

For sizing, it took about 3 or 4 firings to fully fire form the cases, so it's not something that needs done often. the one time I did resize, i used a 45 acp size die to size about half length. sort of a neck size. worked fine. The acp die is too short to go full length (crushed case trying) If / when I try sizing again, I think I'm going to try and use the lee 45 acp factory crimp die, with the insides removed. It may work better / greater length.

At the time I started this, I was on a tight budget, and didn't want to spend a bunch on a press for 410. The goal was to to use as much of what I had on hand already, and I'm happy with the results. I don't shoot a large volume of 410's so this works fine for me. I fire these in a Rossi 410 single shot, not sure if these would feed in a pump or auto.

hope this helps.
    NRA life member

LB

Boolit Buddy

Save your money and instead of buying all that reloading stuff and cluttering up your bench, just send me the gun.

I'd love to have a .410 single shot. Maybe I could get the wife to shoot it....
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Boolit Grand Master

Just put an add in the paper: WTT AR-15 for 410 single shot.
    Heck they might even throw in a box of shells LOL!
    Precision in the wrong place is only a placebo.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by goodsteel View Post
    Just put an add in the paper: WTT AR-15 for 410 single shot.
    Heck they might even throw in a box of shells LOL!
    I don't own an AR, or a 1911 either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefthandshooter View Post
    I don't own an AR, or a 1911 either.
    That's Herresey!
    Heathen! LOL. JK.

No single shot,
    No AR,
    And no 1911?
    Youre not democrat are you?
    Just poking fun.
    I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.

Boolit Buddy

Barry Goldwater was a liberal compared to my beliefs back in the 80's, but I've mellowed a little.

As for the other stuff, I prefer my revolvers over my semi-autos, and bolt action rifles over semi-autos too.

In fact, the only semi-auto rifles I own are .22 caliber.

I do have a single shot 20 gauge Winchester shotgun. Dad told me and my twin brother on out 16th birthday "You want a class ring or a shotgun?". There was only no decision needed to be made - the shotgun!
    What would you have if you woke up tomorrow with only what you thanked the Lord for today?

Boolit Master
    Here is how I do this. Start with 444Marlin cases and run the through an old rcbs 45acp sizer. The one that just sized before they went to sizing and decapping in the same die. Lee universal decapper and prime as normal. I use data from a very old Speer manual for 3/4oz loads. charge with powder and put a 44 gas check cup down over powder. You can either buy or cut your over shot wads from cereal boxes. Put one over gas check, install shot and one more over shot wad glued in.
    Last edited by rbuck351; 01-27-2013 at 01:50 AM.

I can attest to the fact that Jiminphx made a nice tool. I have one with the full understanding that I and I alone am responsible for my actions with it. I have a coveted .410 lee loader I would be willing to loan out to you, Tim if you want to combine what Jim did and what lee did. I have a lee loader for about all of the shotguns. Still need a few to round out the collection. Feel free to shoot me a PM.
    “Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!”

Banned

I became the owner of a nice Iver Johnson single shot .410 a while back. It was in my Uncle's stuff when he passed and no one in the family had ever seen it before (he wasn't really a gun enthusiast). Nice little gun, we were gonna shoot it, but shells are crazy expensive. Hard to understand as popular as the .410 is.

Been casually looking for an old Lee Loader, but those are getting some pretty healthy prices now too.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lylejb View Post
    I'm loading 444 brass for 410 2 1/2"

I use a BPI 410 overshot card and a bead of elmer's glue all to finish the shell. The true 410 dia cards are a bit small, but do work. Next time, I'll probably go with circle fly wads overshot cards in .430, or maybe .450. I don't crimp.
    A 7/16" hollow punch makes the correct size wad for 444 brass .410's. 9 Piece Hollow Punch Set is about $7 from Harbor Freight. Regards, Woody
    Take a kid along

Boolit Master

Are these brass cased loads with a glued-in overshot card standing up to recoil? Been thinking about trying some of these in the Governor - just for fun. Waterglass is about $27 a gallon with shipping on ebay, so I may try it instead of glue.
    "The possession of arms is the distinction between a freeman and a slave."
    James Burgh, Political Disquisitions, 1774

Boolit Master
    I have only shot them in single shot guns so I don't know if they will stand up to repeated recoil or not. I have been using silicone for glue and it seems pretty tough but I don't know for sure.

Boolit Buddy
    okay, so. a few PMed me for pictures of my own personal 410 loading kit.
    it is a very crude, yet effective loader.

i use a 14mm 12point 3/8" drive socket and a long punch for depriming.

for priming i place a primer on a flat, hard, clean surface and i push the
    hull over the primer, then place the sized .50BMGcase over the 410 hull and tap it down

for my powder i use a 12 grain charge of 2400. a 9x18mm makarov case works great for this.

i then push a wad down with the same punch that i use for depriming.
    i have not done allot of experimenting with wad pressure, recently, i have
    just been pushing as hard as i can.

my shot measure is a .50AE that has been slightly trimmed.
    it gives me right around 1/2oz of shot, i try to load it a bit on the
    high side so i get a better crimp.

for crimping i just do it by hand with my fingers, once i get the crimp
    folded about 1/2 over, then i press the rest of the crimp down with either
    the flat bottom of a primer tray, or the bottom side of the desk or bench i
    am working on.

i can add more pictures later if there is enough interst

oh, pay no serious attention to the two small jars and box for the wads.
    those are my containers for powder, shot, and wads when i travel
    and want to do some 410 shooting
    hello.