Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just ordered a Hornady LNL AP

Just ordered a Hornady LNL AP

Well, I took the progressive step and ordered a LNL AP from Midway. The deal was fair. I only wish they had more shellplates in stock. I'm gonna try a #1 for .45 acp. If it doesn't work I'm not out anything because I have a couple long guns that use the same plate. I didn't order any of the accouterments. Now for the long wait lol. I'm excited.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master
    Congrats!

I have to ask though; did you truly WANT a LNL? Or was it because Dillon is back ordered 4-5 weeks?

I ask because I seem to remember that you had some interest in 550's a little while back.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

LOL, Na this was a conscious decision. I had serious interest in the Dillon and didn't know that they were backed up. Their site said they were a little behind lol. I did a lot of research and concluded that the Hornady was a better press for me. I like the 5 stations. I also like the die changing system. The cost of cartridge conversions was also a factor. For the Hornady I can change the powder cavity for 10 bucks and go to loading as long as it weighs correct. With the dillon you kinda have to buy another powder measure. Basically, the Hornady press fit my budget better and I liked it's features. The Dillon 650 was outta my budget and it is unfair to compare the 550 to the Hornady but because of finances that was were I was. I didn't settle though. I do like what the AP brings to the table.
    Nathan

Boolit Master
    Good, glad you weren't offended. And glad you did not settle for second best for YOU. ( I don't want start any color wars or bashing here)

Hope you get it quick so you get to having fun!
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    I use the #1 plate for.45 acp without problems & also the .243, 22-250 etc

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Cool wal, I appreciate the info. I figured at the worst the case won't eject consistently. Thats why god made thumbs lol. Na LD I'm a Vet I don't get offended very easily. It's kinda funny how those arguments go. I always thought that each person had their own quirks and that was why there is more than one style to almost everything. I mean if we were all alike then there would only be one kinda toilet seat right? lol I'm tryin to make up my mind on whether or not to sell my ol' t-mag and the LEE challenger and use the proceeds to get a nice single stage for rifle.
    Nathan

You're gonna love that LNLAP drklynoon. I've had mine for just over a year now. You probably already know this, but here's a few suggestions.
    1. Read everything through very carefully and watch Hornady's helpful videos.
    2. Keep a couple cans of Hornady's dry lube on hand.
    3. Buy extra shell retainer springs. I went through several of these when I was first figuring things out.
    4. Try to find one of those systems for quickly loading the primer tube. I found one through Gunbroker and it's been a real time saver.
    5. Have fun! It's a great system to use.

I didn't order the Hornady dry lube and am going to have to rectify that mistake. I watched all the Hornady videos and they were ok but I would have liked to see a little more trouble shooting stuff. I've been scouring the Internet for a couple weeks and there is tons of stuff on this system. I did not see a quick system for the primer feed and was content with using the drop tubes I have and the ones that it comes with but if a better system is available I'll look into it. I am a little confused about the powder drop station and whether I can use a LEE expander in that hole or not. I'm sure I'll have some questions or even suggestions after I get it and start using it. Yeah, I'm excited lol.
    Nathan

Boolit Master

I enjoy my LNL!

Hopefully I will as well lefty.
    Nathan

Boolit Master

You'll want the case feeder...trust me...it took me a whole 1 month to figure that one out and 2 weeks after that i had one set up.
    it can get confusing if you're trying to load quickly and you have to load a case, then a bullet, pull the handle, load a case, then a bullet pull the handle.

I won't be cutting the ear off for the case feeder for sure. I was originally interested in a 550B because it was not fully automated and I like getting my hands dirty I have read others who want to keep their hand on the handle and place case and boolit with their other hand. For some reason I think I'd like to place boolit with my right and case with my left. This sounds easier to get in a rhythm. In order to do this I'll need to use the expander in the powder drop and won't be able to use a cop die. I'll probably just get use to doing it with my left hand and keep my right on the handle. Technique is such a big deal with reloading that I love watching videos to pick up little tricks and such.
    Nathan

I just set my LNL up yesterday got it all dialed in including the powder measure. Ran a few empty cases thru it. I had to adjust the left Pawl to get the Shellplate timing right. Ready to go now (I think!!)! Waiting for the Boolits (9MM) I cast Tuesday to harden for a week before I load some test rounds. HUGE step up from my Pro 1000!! Still gonna keep the Lee for dedicated 45 press for now. Good Luck with it when you get it! One thing I would suggest is to start looking/buying the Shellplates you want to use. It took me forever to get the one I wanted!!
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

I got a #1 shellpate from midway and a #36. I could have got one for my .45 colt but opted against it for now. I still have to order some one shot and might throw the other plate on that order. I really wanted a number #6 but they are out of stock everywhere I can find and I refuse to pay 50 bucks for one on Ebay. I'm going to keep my Lyman up and running until I can get shellplates for everything I need. I can't wait to get it lol. So, do you like yours so far? How's the machining?
    Nathan

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats on the purchase. I have a LNL-AP and enjoy it a lot. I use a #45 shell plate for loading .45 ACP. Hornady lists the #45 on their website as the one to use for .45 ACP and #1 for .30-06/.308/etc. Before I started loading .45, I called up Hornady to see what the difference was. They said that the mouths of #45 plate were slightly different from the #1 plate for better reliability when using the case feeder.

As was mentioned, extra retainer springs are good to have. They come in a 3-pack for <$10. Also, pick up a small tube of graphite to lube the bottom of the shell plates. Finally, keep an eye on the bolt that holds the shell plate down. It comes loose after awhile. I generally check it when I start loading and then whenever I top off the primer tube.

I put a split lockwasher under the shell plate bolt to keep it from loosening. I highly advise you to go here for some goodies to make your AP easier and safer to use.
    "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant

I appreciate the link bbqncigars. Midway sent me the Email, it's on its way. My excitement knows no bounds.
    Nathan

Boolit Buddy
    Haha.

Forgot to mention in my last post. When you get the press give Hornady a call and ask them to send you a set of shims for under the powder measure. A lot of people have problems with it rotating and unlocking the bushing. Mine does it, and I have the shims. Just haven't got around to putting them on.

Thanks buyobuyo. My list so far is case retention springs, powder measure shims, and an indexing paw. Hopefully they will send this with no questions asked lol.
    Nathan

Quote Originally Posted by drklynoon View Post
    I got a #1 shellpate from midway and a #36. I could have got one for my .45 colt but opted against it for now. I still have to order some one shot and might throw the other plate on that order. I really wanted a number #6 but they are out of stock everywhere I can find and I refuse to pay 50 bucks for one on Ebay. I'm going to keep my Lyman up and running until I can get shellplates for everything I need. I can't wait to get it lol. So, do you like yours so far? How's the machining?
    So far it seems like a really good press. The machine work seems very nice. I did make a modification to it after talking to a few people. I was told the small and large primer shuttles hang up sometimes, it was suggested to break the sharp edges and polish the shuttles and then lube them with some dry lube, which I did. I'll give you some more info Tuesday or Wednesday when I load my test loads. I really think I'm gonna like the LNL bushing system for changing calibers. Next thing to get will be a Powder Cop and the micrometer gauge for the powder drop (for Caliber changes). But that won't be for a little bit gotta save my Nickels!! Little bit at a time!!

P.S. I saw a #16 Shellplate sell for $152.50 on FleaBay!!
    Last edited by Gliden07; 01-27-2013 at 11:36 PM.
    45 ACP because shooting more than once is just silly!!

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.