Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataLee Precision
WidenersSnyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2

Thread: Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics

Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Optics

I am thinking about get a Leatherwood/Hi-Lux Scope for my H&R BC. The scope is William Malcolm 3/4" 30" Long Scope 6X is this a good scope.

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    Scope is alright, the mounts are a piece of ****.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

i would agree with Don with an exception and that is this...what is your expectation with this scope? if you are a hunter and the scope will stay in a fixed position then there is no reason it wont perform just dandy. i have one with the addition of their screw adjuster and find that for the shorter ranges i shoot at...300 and under yards...it seems to work fine n dandy for my purpose. i take it that the rifle is a fairly lite weight 45-70 so if this is the case then the scope sliding thru the mount will be problematic...for the cure to this i added an anckor ring to my rear mount and it stopped the sliding thru the rear ring...the 38-55 will also make enough recoil to slide the scope so unless it is going on a 22 then i recon the added recoil ring would be prudent.

so if your game will consist of making many changes to your POI then maybe by the time you get a nice repeatable set of mounts for your malcolm and have them mounted properly...im guessin that the cost will get into the reachable area of a fine scope settup to begin with that is recomended from a few shooters...think MVA for your better settup and if you want to pursue the leatherwood then for around $450.00 you can land a scope mount that should be the shis-niss. so here is the thunder...by the time you purchase a leatherwood for what...$400.00...then a $450.00 for the mount...then another $75 for the rib to add to the leatherwood to allow it to slide in these better mounts...another $35 for the stop for the scope ...you have now invested around $950 and this isnt the shipping of all these parts.......compared to an $1100.00 settup from MVA that includes a scope and mount that are compatable with each other and garenteed to be exelent and satisfie your needs.

just some thoughts from the peanut factory.

nothing wrong with the leatherwood scope itself that ive found but if i were to try to settup another rifle with a malcolm style scope i would be very tempted to go the extra mile with the MVA to begin with.

Boolit Master
    I have a Letherwood and an MVA scope. The Optics look very close to each other but the mounts that come with the Letherwood are poor and only work out to 200 to 300 yards. I have it setup on my rifle I use mostly for 200 yard Silhouettes at my club. Once zeroed I do not adjust the sights much at all and you hold off for windage corrections. I bought the MVA sight for variable range target shooting and it works much better but even its mounts are a bit of a problem for quick changes so once zeroed I generally make changes by holding off for wind conditions. Works for me and both work better with my old eyes that does aperture sights.

I agree with BigTed and Nick,I had a Leatherwood and optics were good but mounts were a nightmare.I spent a lot of time and money and ammo playing with it [sold it ] lost more money.I ordered MVA for my BPCR rifles.The optics are great and mounts are a dream.With old eyes their large add on knobs work great. I went with full length for 30in barrels.Installed it and boresighted scope in 30min.In 2shots I was on at 100 and have shot it out to 500m.It's a dream. Bob.

Boolit Master
    Yup....Optics are fine.....mounts will drive you nuts.

I ended up making a new rear mount for one of my William Malcolm. I think I wrote up an article about it on my web site... www.rvbprecision.com

I see that Leatherwood now offers a new Unertl type set of mounts for around $250........waiting for someone else to buy them so we can get a review

http://www.opticsplanet.com/leatherw...per-scope.html
    Roy B
    Massachusetts

www.rvbprecision.com

I have a Target Classic in 38-55 I mounted an 18" leatherwood scope on it with the mounts that came with it. Took about three adjustments to get it on at 50yards and i could put them in the black at a hundred by holding over a bit. I am planning on keeping the set where they are. If you want to switch from short to long range frequentlly it might be different. If you are going to zero at a particular range and keep it there like you would for your hunting rifle. i say dont bother with the more expensive bases. Its all about what you plan to do with the gun after you set it up.
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

I have two leatherwood scopes. one long, one short. the long is on my .444 rolling block. $350 for scope, $350 for dz mounts. made a pope rib and attached with 620 loctite.$15. topped off with 2 usmc malcolm scope clamps from john wu. $20 accuracy.........priceless!