WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shot my first chronograph this morning

Boolit Man
    No nicks for me. I did let my son in law take a shot over it without proper instuction. Shootin Chrony came out 2nd. Good penitration and your group is centered nicely. Sorry for your troubles. Being in the "not yet" club makes it pretty funny for some reason. Sorry again, Mike

Boolit Master
    I killed mine with a 300 blackout as well. A 155 grain Lee clean through front to back. Good thing they take them back in trade. I pay better attention to those loose scope rings now.

Boolit Master

Shot my first chronograph this morning

It's your first kill. Are you going to have it mounted?

No longer living in the High Country, Australia, a lowlander now.
    Been there........done that......

"Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so too."

Boolit Mold
    I'm impressed with thw range in the pictures. any problems with the neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by targeteer63 View Post
    I'm impressed with thw range in the pictures. any problems with the neighbors.
    Not after the first few shots.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Oh, I don't know about all the excitement, he must not have done a very good job, it looks like its still functional. @(;^]#>::: (Joined the club 2 years ago)
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I had one of the Chronys with the display out on the unit. Sent a 22cal boolit downrange, boolit missed, the gas check went thru the display. Cost me $60 to upgrade to the unit with the display on the bench years ago. Still not a bad deal.

I saw the title and thought it was something different. I shot 'over' my first chrony this weekend. But there was no shooting it like the above. I know that the thought is either you have shot one or are going to, but I am not unless I fall asleep or loan it out.

I'll tell you why. I taped a piece of paper to the back sticks. I taped it so it kind of bowed backward. I'll have to get a picture. Then I found where the 4"-6" sweet spot is and made a dark square about 1"-1 1/2" above there. This was my aiming point.

Made sure there was a good backstop behind the target(my holler) and shot away. Sure, I did not see what accuracy is like, but I know what the velocity is. I shot 5 shot strings. Now I will load up 5 more to shoot for accuracy. Total shots, 10 - for that particular round. I shot close to 30 rounds total over it this weekend.

Cost is $.80. I was shooting some plinking 30-30 rounds. When I go ahead and shoot some of my hunting rounds I will probably come down to 3 and 3. But even if I kept it at 5 and 5, I am only "wasting" 5 shots. 5 x $.40(max, more like $.20) is $2.00.

I figure for 2 bucks the peace of mind that my chrony is in good shape at the end of the session is well worth it. It would take an awful lot of those "wasted" rounds to add up to a new/fixed chrony. So I HIGHLY recommend attaching a target on the back of, or very close to the back, of the chrony. Besides, how much do we shoot just plinking with our ammo? I know that I'll shoot a box of 50 reloads at a steel target watching it swing back and forth. No thoughts on accuracy, just having fun. I figure you use the chrony as a tool it was designed for, not a multipurpose tool.

I realize that everyone has their own opinion. I do not mean to step on anyones toes. Just want to throw this out for people to think about.
    Last edited by newton; 01-22-2013 at 01:13 PM.

Boolit Buddy

one would think they could lay the components down flat (horizontal) and make a smaller forward facing profile ... perhaps reduce the chances of an accidental kill shot ...

Replacement parts are supposed to be here today.

Boolit Buddy
    Last week I was checking the speed of the 32long load im working on and shot the left front wire. I got it straightened out and shot the left rear one. I still dont know how I managed that! Lucky it didnt break anything!

Boolit Grand Master

Couldn't resist. This is from one who is going on #4. You should see what a 50 bmg cast will do to a chrony!!!!!!

Boolit Grand Master
    I wonder if my local taxidermist mounts chronographs?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post

Couldn't resist. This is from one who is going on #4. You should see what a 50 bmg cast will do to a chrony!!!!!!
    "Atomize" comes to mind....
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Master

Timspawn, where did you get your parts? I tried googling and can't find the website to order parts for mine!
    Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

When I got my Chrony I replaced the wires with bamboo skewers, thinking that if I hit one it wouldn't wreck the plastic sensor heads. I don't know if that works or not. It's been a dozen years and I haven't hit one yet.
    Cognitive Dissident

It's a device that people are supposed to shoot toward but narrowly miss... I wouldn't feel too bad.
    I believe you...but my Tommy gun don't.

Shot my first chronograph this morning

Dang, that thing's dead...
    Regarding the two types of people, those who have, and those who will shoot their crony... I grazed mine the other day, does that count, or should I just go ahead and put a 444 through it to make it done?

Quote Originally Posted by xs11jack View Post
    Timspawn, where did you get your parts? I tried googling and can't find the website to order parts for mine!
    Jack
    shootingchrony.com