MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need a good quality case trimmer?

Quote Originally Posted by Racingsnake View Post
    Hi guys,

I'm looking to improve the accuracy of my 38 Special target loads and want to start trimming the cases. I have 20+ years worth of assorted head stamps and ages and I'm sure there are some inconsistencies.

Which good quality case trimmer will give me consistent lengths?

Regards, Racingsnake
    Good evening Racingsnake,
    I started reloading for my father at 10 years of age. That was in 1951 and at 71 I expect I have shot more than 100,000 rounds of very accurate rifle and pistol loads. I am a trained gun smith for my own weapons and won't accept a group greater than a half inch at 100 yards for all of my rifles. My best pistol is a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 mag that puts 4 rounds in a 3/4" group with 2 rounds that consistently take it to 1.25" at 25 yards. That is my preamble to the use of Lee case length trimmers. My first task is to measure a good number of cases to find the minimum length. Take one of the longer cases and trim with a new Lee trimmer to find it's cutting depth by measuring the case length. Using a fine stone with the length gage in a drill press and bring the tip to the stone very gently to take off small amounts of metal until it cuts the same case to the minimum length by repeated trials. Once you have reached the desired length bevel the edge of the tip to leave 2/3rds of the flat face of the tip so the ware is minimal on the contact surface and won't hang up on the primer hole edges. I then put the shell base chuck in a flat base machine clamp leaving the cutter in the drill chuck and insert the probe into the shell until it is aligned and bottomed out then clamp it tight. Set the depth stop at that point and start trimming at the rate of 150 to 200 shells per hour. Deburring inside and outside the case rim and uniforming the inside primer hole are essential to best accuracy. All your cases will bell the same minimal diameter to accept the slug and maximize case life. Good accuracy starts with identical cases which you will need to sort into categories of brand and weight within brands. All should end up accurate within their own uniformity but at different grouping on your target. Good shooting my friend.
    Last edited by Westerner; 01-14-2013 at 01:00 AM.

Boolit Bub
    Hi Westerner, thank you for that very useful information. Much appreciated.

Boolit Master
    i use a lyman universal chuck mounted in a block that i use on my millimg machine. then i set the trim length with the z travel. then have at it.

Boolit Master
    Wilson or CH4D for me.

Take care,

r1kk1

In Remembrance
    A trimmer which holds the case in a reloading press 'shell holder' has a threaded ram that tightens the front of the case rim against the shell holder lip. The (eventual) length of the trimmed case will index to that rim 'face'.
    Any variance in thickness of the rim will cause different overall lengths in the cases.

A trimmer with a 'collet' that grabs the edge of the rim will cause trimmed length to index to the 'center' of the rim's thickness. Thick rims will cause longer cases and thin rims will result in shorter overall lengths.

The Wilson trimmer cuts to an overall length determined by the flat surface where the headstamp is.
    It doesn't matter how thick the rim is, the end of the case will be a certain distance from the head ... and that's that.

Since your case is also 'indexed' to the headstamp when held in the shell holder in the reloading press, the crimp (for example) will always be applied at a particular distance from the headstamp ... just like the critical dimension is determined by the Wilson trimmer.

In addition, the Wilson cuts a 'square' case mouth. Some of the 'shell holder types' don't ... not ever.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post

In addition, the Wilson cuts a 'square' case mouth. Some of the 'shell holder types' don't ... not ever.

CM
    This is why I decided to use the Wilson for any target cartridge I work with.

I agree with Westerner, I keep my brass quite consistent in length...reloading accurate rounds
    is consistency for the most part.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a RCBS Trim Pro power case trimmer. I like it a lot. Its very easy to set up. Holds the case very secure. And is very quick. Its expensive though.

Boolit Bub
    Do you guys use a good quality vernier / dial caliper for measuring the length or case gauges?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Racingsnake View Post
    Do you guys use a good quality vernier / dial caliper for measuring the length or case gauges?
    I have a mitutoyo caliper I use.

r1kk1

Boolit Grand Master

I need a good quality case trimmer?

Calipers. I don't own any case gauges.