Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ughhh the time has come early, time to sell the lee 1000 and upgrade

Boolit Man

Ughhh the time has come early, time to sell the lee 1000 and upgrade

Well as everyone told me I would upgrade sooner or later. Welp you guys we're right. I have been using my Lee 1000 pro for a month or so, and have been pretty happy with it. But I am tired of having to adjust it all the time. I have been having problems with the crimping and the completed round into wanting to seat into my barrel 100%. So I just sold one of my pistols for extra funds and am also selling the lee press. This will take me to right at $600 of funds. So I am looking at Dillon square d, the 550, and the 650, and maybe a lock n load from Hornady(not much research done on this one yet though). I do like the idea of a auto case feeder option, as I have gotten use to not having to place on in every time(I understand this is and extra $150 which sucks). I was looking into the 550 but not having auto index which I do like that throws a strike against it. So really I am just banging my head against the wall at having to spend even more funds here. It's always something it seems

In Remembrance / Boolit Grand Master

My Dillon 550 has given excellent service for many years.

Absence of the auto-index is not a problem to me; all one has to do is CREATE A ROUTINE. This seems to be beyond the concepts of some folks, but careful thinking and operation will soon allow very efficient operation, to wit:

(Mental process)

-CASE (place empty case in press)
    -BULLET (place bullet on charged case)
    _CLICK (rotate platform one position)
    -CRUNCH (operate press handle)

.......and repeat.

THINK about where components are placed for max efficiency and easy access by the hands.

The auto-index can be a feature that creates unnecessary complexity and possible problems. I'm very happy to do without it.
    Regards from BruceB in Nevada

"The .30'06 is never a mistake." - Colonel Townsend Whelen

There's three solid choices, Dillon 650, Hornady LNL, RCBS Pro 2000...all three auto index, have 5 stations. Check the features each have that you like, there's no wrong answer with any of them..

Love Life
    I agree with BruceB on the auto index. The Dillon 550B is a very versatile press and cranks out as much ammo as I need fast enough. Setting your components up to maximize economy of movements and you will be surprised how fast you can out the ammo.

Always remember that no matter how fast your press is you still have to add primers!!

Boolit Master

Been using a Dillon 550B since 1991. No auto-indexing is a non-event. It has little or no impact on speed. The SDB is a nice press if you only want to load one caliber on it since it only accepts Dillon's proprietary SDB dies but since it won't use standard dies the caliber changes are kind of pricey. I also have a 650 and it's my favorite by far. I really like its primer handling system.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    2 550s and 1 650 here. Can run just about as fast on the 550. Add a case, turn the head. less than a second more per round. In all reality you have to add cases to the tube on the 650 so don't know if that is even a factor. I use all. have them set up for different things. I like not haveing to set them up when I'm ready to load. Three pulls of the handle, double check powder charge, and run with it.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Banned

If your going to have only one get a 550.

Boolit Man
    I am tempted to get the 550. Looks like around $500 total with dies. Then could add a case feeder if I wanted later. Ugh decisions decisions.

Boolit Buddy
    I had a 550 for years, then had the chance to sell it to a co-worker a dozen years ago & upgrade to a 650 for like $100. For that difference I didn't think twice & I love my 650, but that 550 sure was nice too, if I hadn't gotten that screaming deal I'm sure I'd still be using the 550.

I have 2 550s on the bench, one for large and one for small primers. I would not do anything different if I had to do it over again. Primer changes are not that difficult but I often have prolonged runs of one primer size interspersed with a medium run of the other and do not want to waste time changing primer feed. Also, my shooting partner often loads at the same time as I so both presses are in operation. Short of commercial production, I would not want an auto index rig. Had a Lee back in the 1980s; never again.

Buy the 650 and the case feeder - you won't regret it.

The 550 is a great press. The manual indexing is actually helpful, and once used to it, doesn't slow down production at all.
    Rossi M92 Lever Action
    Taurus 669
    Kel-Tec P-3AT
    http://357shooter.blogspot.com/

Boolit Master
    I can't say enough about the 550. It is very dependable and still kicks them out since the 80s!

Take care

R1kk1

Boolit Mold
    on1wheel01,

Started in the 80's with Lee single stage. Took a hiatus then started reloading again a few years ago. At one time I had Lee Pro 1000 and Loadmaster that I loaded on. As has been commented on many times, the Lee's are inexpensive but take a lot of constant tweaking for consistent function. I was sitting at work (machine shop) designing a new aluminum feed shoe for the Loadmaster when I decided enough is enough. Ordered a Dillon RL550b from Brian Enos (look his site up).

What a difference. You pull the handle and ammo just falls out ...well, not that easy but close. Absolutely the best reloader made (my opinion). I tried the LNL but didn't like it.

I swear by my 550 or SDB....

Jay

Boolit Man
    I would love a 650 but won't have quite that much funds for awhile. And then the dies and such. So I guess it boils down to the square deal b, or 550b.

Love Life
    If between those two I would go with the 550B. The SDB requires special dies and only loads pistol. The 550B takes standard reloading dies and can load rifle and pistol. Using ball powder I load very accurate 308 ammo on mine.

Boolit Grand Master

I have used a Dillon since about 1983. Started with a 450, which I upgraded with auto primer feed and auto
    powder feed when they became available. I then added a 550 to the stable, keeping the 450 for competition
    ammo in .38 Super. Eventually, the 450 went to a friend that used fewer different calibers and I got a second
    550, one for large primers and one for small to speed up changeout even more.

I have a T7 for small batches, but the 550s turn out the quanty ammo.

Never looked back, excellent machines, high quality all the way and last forever.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Hornady LnL and its working great. I have about 3k rounds through it with no issues . I got brand because my Uncle has a LNL with about 30k rounds through it. you can use your Lee dies on it, I do on some rifle loads. Bluehorse is right, you can't go wrong with any of the big three.

Boolit Man
    Yea the more I read seems everyone says the SDB is small and can be awkward to work on or with. So 550 is looking nice, I am still hopeful I can come up with the funds for the 650 but just is so much lol. In the back of my mind I keep thinking save for what you want and be happy knowing I got what I wanted and shouldn't ever have to upgrade. After all my fav color is blue lol.

Boolit Master
    OF those you have under consideration, I would recommend the Dillon. I have used a 450, since they first came out, to feed a competition appetite. It worked great! Why didn't I upgrade? Just because what I have works. If I were going to start anew, I would get the best I could afford.
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.