WidenersInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: What else!

Banned

What else!

What else interesting have you found in your bucket o tireshop WW's?

I found several good valve stems (kept em) an entire pack of fix a flat gummy threads (kept it) and a good lug nut I needed for my Saturn!

what else have you found that's worth keeping?

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range jawjaboy's Avatar
    .74 cents in change! I returned it on my next trip there.

Boolit Bub
    case XX copperhead. i took it back also.

BRU

Boolit Grand Master

2 rolls of lead free solder. That was a good day.

Boolit Master in Heaven's Range
    About 3 pounds of candle wax....also 22 pounds of tin based babbitt,both from the same recycling center.

Boolit Master

Most of us find those tire stickers mixed in , but when I got curious about one that looked different and checked out what I thought was a folded up sticker, it turned out to be an unopened condum package.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

I found a black Swiss Army Knife, the companion model. The toothpick and tweezers were missing, but I wouldn't use them if they were there anyway.

I ran the blade through my Lansky System, cleaned up the knife and popped it in my ocean tackle box. Good to go.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

An enormous socket and a tire guage. Mostly all that is in there that isn't weights is chew and valve stems.

Boolit Bub
    Lots of cigar butts, yogurt containers (mashed), tire labels and just plain floor sweepings - including swarf from brake drum/disk clean-up cuts. Oh, and bottle caps from the beer we give the guys.

Clamp on hub cover about 3 inches in diameter.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

A usable wheelweight attaching tool, a pile of new, unused stick-ons, coins, nuts and bolts, and once a brake caliper. Worst bucket ever had been dumped into an empty, but uncleaned 5 gal grease bucket and had 3" of water in the bottom. I cleaned them as best I could, and smelted it anyways, but it was snap, crackle and pop all over my garage and me.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Snapping Twig View Post
    I found a black Swiss Army Knife, the companion model. The toothpick and tweezers were missing, but I wouldn't use them if they were there anyway.

I ran the blade through my Lansky System, cleaned up the knife and popped it in my ocean tackle box. Good to go.
    Any Swiss Army Knife dealer should have replacements for the toothpick and tweezers. I have replaced the toothpick on mine twice.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    1/4" lead came for stained class windows, neatly coiled; sockets & extensions; 8 or 9 soft lead 10-lb "sinkers" for--I would assume--a fishing net; and the best is an ingot of Cerolow 136. That sells for over $200 at McMaster-Carr. Maybe I should sell it for half price and buy more WWs.

Boolit Master
    Typecaster,what is Cerolow 136?, and what makes it so expensive?

Boolit Buddy
    Actually, I had a typo there, it's Cerrolow 136. "Cerrolow 136 is a eutectic alloy with a melting temperature of 136º F. Initial expansion then shrinks to .0000" per inch in one hour." Supposedly it is also used to mount optical components for polishing, etc., but I never heard of it when I went through a precision optical fabrication program in college.

It's the amount of indium it contains that makes it so expensive.

It's from the same foundry that makes the Cerrosafe that we use for chamber casts, but that's primarily bismuth, as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    Any Swiss Army Knife dealer should have replacements for the toothpick and tweezers. I have replaced the toothpick on mine twice.
    True enough!

The thing is, I put it in the tackle box as a all around/bait knife, and I keep a Swiss Army Ambassador knife in my pocket at all times, so I'm covered on the tweezers and the so very important tooth pick.

As dirty as that knife was, although I cleaned it up and alcohol-ed it, I wouldn't relish the idea of using a toothpick from it no matter what.
    1. Treat every firearm as if it were loaded.
    2. Never point a firearm at anything you do not intend to shoot.
    3. Keep the finger off the trigger and firearm on safe until ready to shoot.
    4. Know the target and what's beyond it.

Boolit Master

Cig butts, tire stickers, valve stems, stem caps, screws, nails, and all kinds of other junk. Found a part to one of the tire machines once and brought it back they were very thankful and assured me it did not belong in the bucket. BTW brought the tire guys some cheeseburgers the other day and they weren't there. The ladies up front ate them and didn't tell any of the guys about them. Nice.
    Last edited by EMC45; 07-10-2007 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Forgot

Worst thing I've found mixed with the WW's was a single edge razor blade - new, unused and without it's little cardboard 'sheath' . I always wear leather gloves when I'm working with WW's but I don't think they would have been much protection if I had grabbed that blade. Since then I always use a small 3-tine cultivator when I'm sorting through the weights and trash.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Powderpacker View Post
    Worst thing I've found mixed with the WW's was a single edge razor blade - new, unused and without it's little cardboard 'sheath' . I always wear leather gloves when I'm working with WW's but I don't think they would have been much protection if I had grabbed that blade. Since then I always use a small 3-tine cultivator when I'm sorting through the weights and trash.
    +1. Found one in my last bucket; I wear leather gloves, too, although I was considering nitrile. Until I found the razor blade.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.