MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lyman 55 powder adjustment stuck

Lyman 55 powder adjustment stuck

I have an older Lyman 55, and the two top slides will move fairly easily, but the main one does not. I have tried gently tapping on it to try to get it to slide, but no luck. I don't want to hurt this thing, but it is not of much use right now! Any ideas on a non destructive way to get this puppy free? I am assuming that it has three separate adjustments, not two. If I am wrong, I will definitely feel dumb.

Boolit Buddy
    I might be missing something, I have a Lyman (Grey) 55. It was used when I got it and I've had it for 23 years. Mine only has to adjustment screws. A fine adjustment for the top slide and the large adjustment for main. Don't know what your trying to get to move?
    Robert Abbott
    "I don't save money reloading. I just get to shoot more."

Boolit Master
    just 2 screws. one on back is for large slide. the one in front is for small two slides.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Banned
    Remove the screw on the left side along with the "washer" and the entire slide assembly will come out the right side. Clean it well but do not lubricate with anything other than graphite. you see how the slides work. re-assemble in reverse order.
    \Ken

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Clean the barrel and inside of the cavity with a 50:50 mix of acetone: ATF (Shake well) to remove the caked powder. Dry - then apply the graphite
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    I just bought a used 55 and had to puzzle out the adjustments myself. The two knurled screws on the right side adjust the two smaller slides in the drum.

To get the large part to move, raise the handle and you will see two knurled large headed screws in the handle casting itslef. The top one with the bigger head locks the adjustment of both the small and medium slides. The smaller headed one locks the drum, loosen it and you should be able to pull the entire drum assembley from the brass sleeve.

Be careful, the top slide is not fastened to its adjusting screw.

Robert

Loosened both of those screws, large one will not pull out. The two smaller slides work ok. The whole assembly will come out by removing the "washer". Going to have to try the acetone/ATF mix and see what it will do.

Boolit Bub

Boolit Man
    Kroil

Boolit Master
    TheDoctor,
    I've used two grey Lyman 55s for years. I just refurbed an old red Ideal 55 I found in its original box. Old oil had varnished and locked up the big drum. Do as others have suggested and dismantle completely. Clean with acetone. Use a toothbrush for the brass parts and a brass brush for the iron and steel parts. DON'T use any oil. With the unit apart and the plastic bottle removed, inspect the throat area and brush that with a brass brush. Then apply graphite to ALL internal surfaces and bearing surfaces including the throat. Re-assemble.
    Trust but verify the honeyguide

Boolit Mold
    Sounds like you have a fairly old one which is predates the adjustment screw model, sounds like mine which is probably 50ish yrs old. I has just the lock/set screw that keeps the set position tight. There are three slides, the two upper slides for fine setting which are recessed in a larger steel barrel which is the coarse adjustment. The whole barrel assembly then just slides in through the charge handle. I just had a look at mine and lossening the set/lock screw allowed me to pull all three slides out at once.

Since the largest adjustment barrel is steel and slides inside a steel sleeve through the handle and into the cast body (i think), there may be some very slight corrosion causing it to stick. I'd suggest WD40 or some other light lubricant to get it to move (maybe soak overnight) and then once it's out clean up only the steel parts with some extra fine steel wool, degrease completely with acetone or alcohol and lube with graphite or some other dry lubricant.

Quote Originally Posted by junkdude View Post
    Sounds like you have a fairly old one which is predates the adjustment screw model, sounds like mine which is probably 50ish yrs old. I has just the lock/set screw that keeps the set position tight. There are three slides, the two upper slides for fine setting which are recessed in a larger steel barrel which is the coarse adjustment. The whole barrel assembly then just slides in through the charge handle. I just had a look at mine and lossening the set/lock screw allowed me to pull all three slides out at once.

Since the largest adjustment barrel is steel and slides inside a steel sleeve through the handle and into the cast body (i think), there may be some very slight corrosion causing it to stick. I'd suggest WD40 or some other light lubricant to get it to move (maybe soak overnight) and then once it's out clean up only the steel parts with some extra fine steel wool, degrease completely with acetone or alcohol and lube with graphite or some other dry lubricant.
    +1 just what I would have suggested , WD40 should do the trick as long as you degrease with a
    good defatting agent afterwards. Then of course lube as suggested above.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDoctor View Post
    Loosened both of those screws, large one will not pull out. The two smaller slides work ok. The whole assembly will come out by removing the "washer". Going to have to try the acetone/ATF mix and see what it will do.
    Okay, from what you are describing; I would bet that someone lubed the steel drum with oil to "protect" it and it has since congealed between the steel drum and the brass sleeve. What I did on mine was set the two smaller slides together with a slight gap that I could get a screwdriver into and gave it a very slight twist to help break things loose. DO NOT USE BRUTE FORCE.

Both screws need to be loose (or out) at the same time for the drum to come out.

When you put it back together use dry graphite for lube.

Robert

I have tried everything listed on here, and so far, it's still a no-go. Tried tapping it with a wooden knocker, WD-40. ATF/acetone mix for 4 days! After that, and it sitting on a shelf "draining" for several weeks, did the screwdriver thing. Nope. Only thing that I can think of to try next would be to put the assembly in a sealed container of ATF/acetone, and ultrasonic the dog out of it. The paint on the handle would go bye-bye if I did so, but can not figure out what is keeping the large adjustment barrel stuck in the sleeve. Was hoping to be able to do this without any damage to the thing. Not that it would be worth anymore, or that I would sell it, but you would not believe me if I told you who this thing belonged to. Was wanting to keep it in as good of condition as possible, but now, unless I can get it apart to thoroughly clean and degrease it, it can not be used. Maybe I should have just left it alone, sitting on a shelf where it was......

Boolit Master
    Lyman will fix it for you...
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Moderator Emeritus
    Have you tried freezing it?

For fine firearms and shooting requisites visit my Web Site by clicking the link below:

Pukka Bundhooks

Boolit Grand Master

Soak it with Kroil and then lightly heat it up. ( a blow drier on hot will work) this will cause a small expansion of parts due to heat and allow the kroil oil to work past rust or sludge. A tourches flame will burn but the Blow drier or heat gun is much easier to control. Keep wet with kroil as you heat it up. Slowly work with it and you will gain a little everytime.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just happen to have my orange 55 (casting date of 11/88) sitting in front of me as I type this. So I have verified these recommendations on mine.

Your drum rotates with the handle, right? If so take the screw and washer from the left side out (side opposite of the handle). This will expose the brass cylinder, and should allow it to slide out to the right; along with all the adjustable components.

Once you get the brass drum out, it will allow you to either soak it in your favorite snake oil (Kroil is one of the best), or use a judicious application of heat to break things loose.

If your handle does not rotate the drum, still take the screw and washer off the left side and then use a large brass drift to help things start moving.

I just had an uh oh thought, you didn't try to drive the roll pins out of the handle ring did you? If so they will havve to be drilled out; they only go through the handle casting and the brass sleeve, and will not come out if the steel slide is present.

Hope this helps,

Robert

Haven't tried to take the roll pins out. Took the washer off, handle and drum came out fine. Top two slides came off without much problem. Its the bulk adjust that will not come out. Freezing it right now, will tinker with that in the morning. If that doesn't do it, will try applying heat.

Freezing did not work. Time to bring on the heat!