Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox Wideners
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lee's " NEW " 2 cavity molds.

Boolit Master

It looks like some sort of swirl pattern was faced onto the mold block before the cavities were cut. I blew up the middle picture but couldn't tell for sure. It looks like some of the vent lines near the driving bands may have been closed off during the cutting process. Probably have to cast with it to tell for sure. It may be fine.

Cast Boolits Search Tool

The Learning Never Stops!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by trying2learn View Post
    Ben I agree with you and now I plan to read the last pages I missed. When I spoke to both the receptionist and the tech which was not andy but I think his name was larry. It was few months back I even told him that I and many people would probably just wait it out to which he replied that was a option I and many others had.

Now granted after the original response I was in a little irritated state from his lack of caring I suppose. However I understand not being able to guarantee a new style if it has not be ran yet, but just to do it to get rid of the old stock doesn't sound right to me.

I would suggest a sale on the old ones or even say put a n at the end or something so as to designate them and give people the option intil they run out of the old. Heck they even have a clearance section. Why not use it. I might buy the old style at a discount to get a few extras depending on the price. But some of the ones I don't have a mold for I would do the new styles.

That's just me and I might be the odd ball but I just don't understand the answers I was given by the gentleman. Normally they are great for me answering my questions and orders of parts I lose.
    I have spoke to Larry on a couple of occassions and he never impressed me. I sent a mold back that was casting .304"x.307" rather than .309". He sent it back with a note saying all it needed was the mold handles lubed in order for it to cast correctly. I called and asked what lead alloy he cast with it and he said they aren't allowed to use lead to cast with and use cerrosafe to check the molds.

I really like Lee molds for the money but most need a little work. Hopefully this new design fixes the need to repair them.

Dolomite

Re: Lee's " NEW " 2 cavity molds.

Yea whenever he answers I kind of give up hope and just get through the call then try whatever he half hearted suggested. Then if it diesnt work I call get the other guy who seems to care and go from there.
    Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?

Boolit Bub
    I recently got one of the "new style" from midway, it's a 452-230. Nice looking mold too. I like that the molds now have the size/ weight etched on the top opposite the spru plate pivot screw. First casts went about normal for a new mold, got to dropping good ones pretty soon. Had to fill a little slower than the other old style molds though, probably from lack of vent lines.
    About 20-25 into the good ones I noticed that the mold line was very visible on them , quick visual check didn't show any thing out of order (maybe I just ain't holding the thing tight enough) keep going paying attention to blocks, grip, ect. Dang something just ain't right here i thought.
    After closer insp. under better lights I discovered that the alignment pins had retreated back into their sockets and weren't out far enough to properly engage the bushings set in the other half. Hence the misaligned blocks.
    So that was the first session with the new mold.
    I'm pretty sure I've remedied the situation but won't cast more till tomorrow.

Boolit Master
    Two years, man I ain't getting any younger.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master

I just got two of the new style for Christmas and so far im really impressed. I got the 356-120-tc and the 311-100-2r, so far I have only used the 356-120 but from a somewhat warm mold I was getting great boolits within a few cycles I let some air cool and the measured out at 127gr and .356 to .358. That was me rushing to try out a new lee 20lb pot and two new molds.

Boolit Buddy
    Needing a 380 mold right now--thanks for the heads up.

Boolit Master
    I just received a .38-55 mold set and was surprised that it is the new style. It is the smoothest cut cavity I have gotten from lee in a long time and seems to be very well fitted.....I have yet to through lead, but it sure looks good so far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by OuchHot! View Post
    I just received a .38-55 mold set and was surprised that it is the new style. It is the smoothest cut cavity I have gotten from lee in a long time and seems to be very well fitted.....I have yet to through lead, but it sure looks good so far.
    That is very good to hear, Lee gets a lot of bashing, not all undeserved I guess but encouraging to know they are trying to put out a product with quality and a modest price. I have quite a few Lee moulds and dies.
    Lucky Joe
    "There's always a way."

Boolit Master
    ^^
    yes, I just got a 2C RB mould and it casts SO much better than their previous 2Cs. I'd almost replace my .358-158-RF but it is a nice fat boolit and is working quite well as cast.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Mold
    Any 45-70 new molds yet? How about in 40/10mm,45,35 rem,30-30,9mm?

Boolit Master
    Northeastern part of Penn's Woods near Slocum Hollow.
    Would anyone know if the new batch ( Just came in) of Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold TL358-158-SWC (38 Special Tumble lube)
    are the new style? I wrote Midway USA customer service but the haven't answered yet
    " Associate with men of good quality, if you esteem your own reputation: for it is better to be alone than in bad company. " George Washington

Boolit Grand Master
    I asked LEE that specific question, I was told :

The only way to know is to ask the company you are ordering from if they are shipping you the old style blocks or the new style blocks .

I just placed an order with midway for the 401-175-TC, will let you guys know if it is new or old style. They just came back in stock this past friday so hopefully it will be new style.

Got my 401-175-TC mold from Midway today and it is the new style, can't wait to cast with it. After making a fresh batch of FWFL. I sat down and looked it over real good ant found a couple pieces of alum that did not come all the way off the top of the cavity (base of boolit). Rubbed all the edges with a soft piece of wood and looked at the sprue plate that they didn't change, will have to add the set screw in the side like all my other molds. I will get it clean tomorrow evening and hopefully this weekend I can pour some and see how she works.