16 12.70%
  • 6.5 grendal

17 13.49%
  • 300 blackout.

42 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Caliber dilemma

Caliber dilemma

I was lucky and bought 3 AR lowers just before all the mess. I sold one to a famly friend for the price of a back ground check. I was going to sell the second one and keep one. I have been offered locally upwords of 300 for one of my lowers. I decided to keep 2. One I am building a A4 rifle. I like the 20 barrels and I carried a m16A2. I have the furniture and BCG. I found me a trigger group and installed on the lower. I could build me a carbine which I have considered.

Close friends have suggested building a 6.8 spc. or 6.5 grendall I even thought maybe a 6mm-.223 and use strickly for coyote hunting. I already have a savage axis in 223 and my 12 yr old has repeatly tries to claim the rifle. My brother has suggested the 300 black out. I like the black out becasue I can use my AR mags and same bolt as an AR just need the right barrel.

What caliber would you build on the AR reciever.

Garbear
    Last edited by garbear; 01-06-2013 at 02:26 AM.
    Garbear

Boolit Master

I have built several and so far I have to recommend the 300 Blackout. It is more fun to shoot than you can imagine. Also, it takes light pistol powder charges and shoots cast boolits very well so it's cheap to shoot. Brass is super easy to reform from .223 and if you want to shoot j-words through it, there is an excellent selection as you know. The only mags I havn't gotten to work are P-Mags, but they work great in my .223 so it's good. Trust me, there is no easier way to put some real a*# in your AR!

Boolit Master

My brother-in-law has 2 blackouts and both shoot very good. One is an upper from CMMG and the other is a build using a heavy barrel AR Stoner barrel from Midway. If I were building one it would have a Midway barrel on it. The blackout is perfect for shooting boolits or jacketed. You just can't find lowers to start a build with at this point and it may be impossible if the politicians have there way.

wcp

Boolit Master
    I would build one in 223 with a quick twist seeing as you have a Savage axis in 223. I like 6.5 Grendal better then 6.8 SPC but I am waiting for the price of brass to come down. The 300 Blackout you can make cases out of 223 so you would never have a case problem and factory cases are being made for this now.

My vote is one of each, 223 Rem. and 300 Blackout.

Make sure of what twist you get.

Boolit Master
    .223. call me a purist. I think if this is your first do .223. Fast twist wylde chamber just in case. Second would be the grendel for it's awesome ballistics.
    Our house is protected by the Good Lord and a gun and you might meet them both if you show up here not welcome son!

Boolit Buddy
    My three, .223 - 6.8SPC - and 25wssm. I am thinking HARD about a 358wssm.

Boolit Master

I have 2 uppers, one in 6.8SPC for hunting and the fun one, in 300 AAC Blackout. One of my sons also has 2, 5.56 and 300 AAC Blackout. The 6.8 and 5.56 almost never leave the house, the 300's get used often!

Boolit Buddy
    look at the ballistics... .223 for tin cans/small game 6.8 for deer, even maybe larger depending on your skills.

Vendor Sponsor

I personally am building a .223 on the one Upper I was fortunate to find and am picking up today. This is because I am build a "Modern Sporting Rifle" and not an "Assault Weapon."

Please spread this new moniker for the AR 15 and other variants around as quickly as possible, as the Left has "defined" the basic AR as an Assault Weapon, when we all know that an Assault Weapon must the either fully automatic or select fire with full auto or burst fire as options.

Time to redefine and reclassify this gun.

Someday I might get a .300BLK upper for the gun but just finding a regular .223 upper right now is a big problem as there is nothing available

But when looking at building a new gun, you must first have the basics covered.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Bub
    Cool.... I would no longer own an AR15 I own MSR in 223!
    Molon labe!
    NRA Life member
    Appleseed Rifleman
    Can you survive the End of the world? http://BattleRoadUSA.com/

Boolit Master
    Well, I have or are building all of those calibers besides the 6.8. I have built several 5.56 rifles, but I get board with em fast because they just don't pack enough punch downrange, and it uses more powder than the 300BO. I have two AR's in 300BO and those are the two that most often go out to the hills with me. I found casting, and loading .308 easier than .223. The 6.5 Grendel will be done this week, but probably wont get used much. Until a good boolit is developed for it I am stuck reloading .264 j-words. Why no 50 Beowulf? That thing is more fun than the blackout to shoot!

Boolit Master
    Midway finally got a blackout barrel in stock today. Mine was ordered just a little while ago. Now off to find loading info for it.

Banned

no doubt one in 223. that would be a given. The second would be a toss up between the 6.8 or the 300. The 6.8 would give you a bit more range in the hunting field but if you want one to be suppressed the 300 will still kill deer and would be a better choise for a suppressed gun.

Vendor Sponsor

I think it is interesting to look at the results of the poll above. The 300BLK has only been out a few years)(unless you count the .300 Whisper) and yet it's popularity has exceeded the other two rounds 3:1.

This is when you know something is right.

The .40S&W is another example of this phenomenon. Brought out as a reduced 10MM so it could be chambered in existing small frame pistols, it took off and in less than 20 years is the number poilce caliber out there.

When a design of something is right the popularity reflects it quickly.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

What are you going to use it for??

Quote Originally Posted by o6Patient View Post
    What are you going to use it for??
    Ding Ding Ding - a winning answer

Myself first one was 223, I then looked at what I wanted to do with the next one and 300 Whisper or 300/221 Fireball as my uppers not a JD Jones one - now Remington came out with their version of 300 Whisper as the 300 Blackout - pretty much all the same cartridge.
    Why did I choose the 300?
    Cast Bullet Friendly cartridge and you only have to change the barrel to be back in 223 / 5.56 configuration.
    Uses 223 brass to make the cases - split the neck on 223 - shorten it to 300.
    Uses Standard AR15 Magazines, I prefer the 20 rounders - keep the 30 rounders for 223.
    Cartridge with it's fast twist barrel will handle long boolits at subsonic velocity and if you want it handles shorter lighter boolits with aplomb
    30 caliber that give similar ballistic's to the old 30-30 WCF but has a higher capacity magazine.
    Capable of shooting lightweights like 125 grain with pretty good velocity, Medium weights like 150 grains with good effect and 220+ subsonic for use with suppressor.
    Get a Flat-top receiver and a scope with correct reticle and your good for multi ammo use at multiranges with practice.
    Oh, and recoil is less the the 1894 Winchester Lever action due to the Semi-Auto action.

Boolit Master

I voted 6.8 SPC II because I already have a 5.56mm AR For your first should be the 5.56 becuase of the availablity of ammo, parts, and mags. After that whatever fits your needs/wants.

CD
    De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08,09',15', 16',22-23'
    Afghanistan: 09,10,11',14',17'-21'

I have the 223, 6X45, 6.8 SPC, 30 Rem, 300 BLK and 458 Socom and enjoy all of them but my favorite right now is the 300 BLK. One can do double taps with ease and it is just plain fun to shoot and load for.
    This country has gone to hell but now there is hope for us.

Little Egypt, Part of the political fifedom of Chicago
    Actually, you need to consider just how to keep it fed. If you already have the 5.56, then a 6x45 and the 300 Blk are your choices, since both take the same brass. Both have some excellent boolits available. The 6mm boolit will be a GB fairly soon and has proven itself very very accurate. The 300 will take a lot of molds already out there.

Right now, I would look at component cost/availability. If you are not casting boolits, the 6, 6.5, or 6.8 projectiles are probably much easier to find than .224 or .308.