RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RepackboxLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Which hard lube to use in the Star

Which hard lube to use in the Star

I need some advice please - I have been using Lars's CR with heat in my Star on my 45ACP boolts. In winter here in South Africa it works fine, the boolits are all nice and clean and the lube is fairly hard and remains intact in the lube grooves, but in summer time when the African sun gets the temp up real high, the boolits are all very tacky and it makes for quite a mess when reloading them.
    Is there a harder lube that can be used in the Star that could solve this? Maybe I could use almost no heat when sizing in summer, would that help to make the lube sit tighter in the grooves?
    Please advise

Moderator Emeritus

I use the Magma lube in most of my Star machines. It doesn't get sticky and does a good job of lubing the bullets. If you're able to order it in South Africa, it should do the job for you. It's also among the least expensive.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Boolit Buddy
    Zambini Red from Rooster labs has a much higher melting temp. Company is said to be out of business, but you can still find Zambini at retailer shops.

Banned

carnuba red starts to flow at 105-f that's what you need to get it through the sizer.
    whether that's ambient or done with a heater doesn't matter.
    the issue you have is the opposite one i have in the winter where it doesn't work as a boolit lube in the gun.
    what you can do is modify the lube itself to have a higher flow temperature [melt temperature]
    adding another 3% carnuba wax,20-25% beeswax [least effective at raising melt temp but helps the flow property's but should raise the melt temp another 10*]
    or adding grated ivory soap.[you have to stir this in untill all the fizzing stops, that's the water boiling out]

pour the lube out on wax paper to cool then when it just firms up, just pull the paper over and roll the lube into little jelly rolls then cut into stick lengths.
    or pour it into a wax paper lined brownie pan fairly thick [deep] and cut into squares.

Thanks for the information....will give it a try and see if it has the desired effect

Boolit Master

I have used many hard lubes in my stars with a adj temp heated base all have worked excellent with the proper temp & pressure , zambine, true flight, lbt, thompsons , magnma & white label CR , i also found it a little tacky for my purpose and have been using 50/50 CR and magnma mix with excellent results, I belive CR is now avalible in a commercial / harder mix !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sagamore-one View Post
    Zambini Red from Rooster labs has a much higher melting temp. Company is said to be out of business, but you can still find Zambini at retailer shops.
    That's what I use. Didn't know the company had gone tango uniform. I have enough for a few thousand boolits, but it looks like I'd better find an alternate.

Richard

Boolit Master
    Dardas blue lube is cheap and easy to fill the lube groove as long as you have a heater. My experience with it was good except in both my 200 grain 069 Saeco bullets and RCBS 38-150 bullets, my best load needed to be hotter. In the 45 it wasn't a lot of difference but the 38's had to go around 825 before the accuracy was the best. Most people shoot them that fast anyway and it might not be the same in your guns or calibers. Out of all the lubes I used, it was the easiest to work with and the cleanest with lube never getting where I didn't want it. The lube that worked with my slower loads was NRA 50/50 but it is sticky and is always on the base of my bullets just from being in a pile and it is all over my fingers just from picking them up. If I could get away with the blue lube, I most definitely would use it.