RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again. Primer and powder shortages

Boolit Master

I have been buying for years. No shortages at my house. I did go by Sportsman's Warehouse today and the shelves were getting kinda thin. I went ahead and further reinforced my supply of powder and relieved them of their last Federal Match Small Rifle primers 4 lb keg of WSF, and a pretty good slug of Varget and TAC. Several people were buying reloading presses and components. One guy was looking thru a book as he was trying to match up the powders left to what he needed.

A lot of people are buying new reloading outfits. They are behind the curve. They shoulda bought years ago. In my opinion you buy reloading equipment and supplies to stave off inflation and shortages in the future. People buying now could save a bundle looking for used equipment but most don't seem savvy enough to do that. Oh wait... they are panic buying.
    At one with the gun.

Makers me thankful that I've gone only about 1/2 way through that brick of Tula SR and that locally Ramshot is kind of looked at crosswise. Still need a couple pounds of TAC to get rolling again...
    http://armedliberalinmo.blogspot.com/
    NRA Certified Trainer
    Bowers v. DeVito "...there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered."
    Partner, Olsen Training Group

Boolit Master

Last week I was shooting with a friend at his indoor range, and they had a thou box of Fed SPP. I snatched them up - 35 bux or not. I was glad to add them to the stash. Who knows when I'll see more laying around. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

And another thing - One of the LGS's nearby had 47 AR's in stock, of various styles. The day after the Newtown tragedy he sold every AR he had in 3 hours. All of them. Mike
    Politicians are a lot like diapers. They should be changed frequently, and for the same reason. Benjamin Franklin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by captaint View Post
    And another thing - One of the LGS's nearby had 47 AR's in stock, of various styles. The day after the Newtown tragedy he sold every AR he had in 3 hours. All of them. Mike
    That's the story in most places. I had a guy at the range offering 3 bills for and AR (IIRC a bone stock Stag)... Some folks are getting that hindsight dialed in and the "woe is me" mindset is setteling(sp) in.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Love Life
    I looked at several websites today that had SRP, LRP, SPP, SPM, SMRB, etc in stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Once again competing with hoarders. Problem is that a lot of them buying it do not even know how to use it.
    I keep trying to stay afloat but can't help from shooting holes in my own boat.

Boolit Buddy
    Looked on Gun Broker, and saw where 5,000 SP were going for over $300. I don't need any for a while, but was curious what the theives were charging?

Banned

i wonder what the date code on those ones on g/b are.

Love Life
    3rd Generation had assorted primers
    Grafs had assorted primers

others had assorted primers.

About the only problem I see is you can't 'one stop shop' and will get beat up pretty decent with hazmat. Other than that they are available. Why people are paying $300 for 5,000 primers is beyond me.

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

Quote Originally Posted by Love Life View Post
    3rd Generation had assorted primers
    Grafs had assorted primers

others had assorted primers.

About the only problem I see is you can't 'one stop shop' and will get beat up pretty decent with hazmat. Other than that they are available. Why people are paying $300 for 5,000 primers is beyond me.
    yeah, you are correct. When I was shopping around the other day, I could not find a few common components together at the same on line outlet. Hopefully this is as bad as it gets but I have my doubts. I know people who "Just" decided to get into reloading and they are having to wait on backordered reloading equipment.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

As a nOOB myself, I must have gotten on the last boat out... I started buying components a few months ago and now you can't find anything anywhere!! Fortunately for me i managed to get enough stuff together to (hopefully) hold me over until the latest panic subsides... Right now i'm only loading for a few calibers... .308 Win. .30 Carbine and 9mm Luger but as soon as supplies become available I'll start loading for .223 Rem and .45 ACP.
    Tennessee... Patron state of shootin' stuff...

After the last shortage tula, magtech, and wolf primers became available. I wonder if this shortage will bring any new companies to the fold. It is irritating to be one of those guys who buys stuff as I need it. I usually only have a brick of primers for each size and get more as I need them. I also usually buy powder by the pound. It looks like both of those practices are out the window. 5k boxes of primers and 8 lb kegs o' powder are in my future. I am becoming one of the hoarders that are helping to create the situation is it is today.
    Nathan

Casting and reloading novice

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by drklynoon View Post
    After the last shortage tula, magtech, and wolf primers became available. I wonder if this shortage will bring any new companies to the fold. It is irritating to be one of those guys who buys stuff as I need it. I usually only have a brick of primers for each size and get more as I need them. I also usually buy powder by the pound. It looks like both of those practices are out the window. 5k boxes of primers and 8 lb kegs o' powder are in my future. I am becoming one of the hoarders that are helping to create the situation is it is today.
    I'm pretty much in the same boat except that I have standardized most of my pistol and rifle stuff for SP or SR. My larger bore is still origional recipie but I shoot the smaller stuff more. As for powders I have a pretty good selection, all in pound or in the case of TB 9 oz. bottles. As I've progressed I've found myself shooting for quantity per lb. of powder and the enjoyment has grown because I am wringing every cent out of that lb. of powder possible.
    GSSF RSO
    NRA RSO
    DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
    Thomas Payne

Boolit Bub
    I don't think it's hoarding, I think is preparing. One of my main reasons for getting into casting and reloading is so that I don't have to worry about shortages. I don't see anything wrong with buying a year or more worth of components. I don't want to be the guy right now that is searching 100 different websites or calling 20 different stores in town in a panic to see if they have something.

Whatever somebody may call it, if you are loading up on supplies out of concern that you win't be able to get it later.... Well, draw your own conclusion...
    Tennessee... Patron state of shootin' stuff...

Boolit Master
    not hoarding, it's being prepared. The gubmint says we should be prepared. http://www.ready.gov/

Was at the sportsmans today to get a shell holder. The ammo truck had just arrived. There must have been 60-70 people waiting around for them to bring the ammo out. The guys couldn't even put it on the shelf, everyone was getting it off the cart as it came down the isle.
    Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. -- H.L. Mencken

The notion that a radical is one who hates his country is naïve and usually idiotic. He is, more likely, one who likes his country more than the rest of us, and is thus more disturbed than the rest of us when he sees it debauched. He is not a bad citizen turning to crime; he is a good citizen driven to despair.― H.L. Mencken

Boolit Master & Generous Contributor

I think ready or prepared would fit better for many than hoarding would. 99% of what I have stashed back was collected during times when supplies were plentiful and prices were better. I bought all of my supplies or at least most of it during non-panic times when I could actually choose which online vendor that I could get everything that I was looking for at one time.
    I could go to three different sites that I buy from, locate all the supplies I needed, calculate the total plus shipping then order from the cheapest source. Of course PV never wants to let you know what shipping runs till after you order.
    If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.
    Samuel Adams

Sam

In Remembrance
    I personally think it is funny, and I feel it will be back to normal in a few weeks, except as always prices will not quite go back to two week ago prices.

Boolit Mold
    fantastic.
    i was going to swing by turners today after work for some large rifle primers, hope they still got em in stock.