RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Got a call from Ruger/ SUBJECK Lead ring in cylinder

Boolit Master
    I have yet to buy a revolver that was finished at the factory. I too am acquiring a very nice set of tools including a set of pin gauges which I will bring to my next revolver purchase.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Gray Wolf, sometimes ya just have to filter the BS and move on
    Slow Elk 45/70

Praise the Lord & Pass the Ammo

Boolit Master

Thanks GEAR, always good input,
    I also agree with this
    i really think the whole thing started at the factory.
    they just cut the cylinder chambers too deep.
    there isn't a factory mold available to fill in the gap and this was causing the number one issue.
    the rest was just plain ole roughness caused at the factory also.
    ruger cuts all six cylnders and throat all at one time.
    i don't think they change out all 6 reamers/cutters at the same time though, so you can get quite a bit of variance depending on who does the work,the time of day and their mood at the moment.
    i have found when getting a new ruger it's best to get something new from then when they first come out things are quite a bit tighter/straighter and seem to have much better tolerences.
    after a while it's just another part/piece/gun coming down the assembly line and tolerances get stacked up.
    when you have 12 people building parts and such one or two of them might be actual gun people that care and the other ten are just doing their job and close nuff is good nuff.
    AND this
    As for getting tools and doing your own work ? I couldn't agree more.
    But some of us can't always do that, My cheep battery drill broke ( I broke it ) and now I don't even have a stinking hand drill, look at my AVATAR does it look like I have room for a drill press, lathe, milling machine, bench grinder, surface grinder, ?? I am lucky to have a small flat surface,
    A file and a decent wet stone. I wouldn't even have the 44 Mag. if I didn't sell a nice old BP rifle.
    Oh yes, do I know about that, I do it all the time, but some times you hit your head when you duck and cover (SMILE ) This is my house away from my house, and it's filled with good caring people. The best on the net, I tell people about some of my friends here and they don't believe
    what I say. ( I just move on )
    Anyway the boss at Ruger has two people building me a pistol ( whatever that is )
    So I'm waiting to see what comes of that. Then I am going to save up and try and get a mold that will let me load bullets into the throat, Then I will save up and get some WW metal that hasn't been mixed with all kinds of scrap, then I will save up and get some new starline brass,
    And if I have any money left over I can get powder and primers, pay my range fee and go shooting. I'm 70 years old--think I'll make it ?....
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Boolit Man
    When Ruger cam out with the super red hawk in 454 I got one . took it out to shoot. first 5 and had to drive the brass out. 5 more and I sent gun back with 3 fired cases that I couldnt get out. Got gun back in about 3 weeks , Fired 5 and same thing. Drove them out ,5 more and it went back again. 3 weeks got it back with letter not to use reloads. I didnt have dies and if they were reloads they came in a new box of Hornady ammo. I shot 1 round and it hung. I cleaned it up and Put it up. for a someday trade. That day came when S&W introduced the 460. Never had a problem with 460--
    but one, leave to comp off when shooting lead.
    Have an older black hawk in 30 carbine. I have problems with hot loads sticking but I done some honeing and got most all worked out.

Boolit Master

Grey Wolf: I don't have new Starline brass but I do have over 100 pieces of used but good 44 mag. brass (mostly WW) that I don't need. I no longer have a 44 mag. and don't foresee getting one so, if you can use the brass, PM me your address and I'll send it. I'm your age and understand the problem. Can't help with the snow.
    God Bless, Whisler

Boolit Master

Well sir that's a nice thing for you to do and I sure do appreciate it.
    I appreciate everything you guys do to help me out,--I really do.

Sam
    Hate is like drinking poison and hoping the other man dies.

*Cohesiveness* *Leadership* *a common cause***

***In a gunfight your expected to be an active participant in your own rescue***

The effective range of an excuse is ZERO Meters

Banned

Gear has it right. I have been very lucky I guess, having owned many, many Ruger's. After friends shoot them I get talked out of many so I can buy BFR's.
    I have a thing for the large calibers.
    I kept my old IHMSA SBH, just can't part with it. It has a 10-1/2" barrel, shows zero wear after around 70,000 heavy loads and still shoots even with some sandblasting at the cone edges. It accounts for many, many deer.
    I bought it when it first came out and had to wait a long time. Bradshaw called it the Silver Hornpipe. It is my luck gun. I was supposed to take it to work to show a friend but I forgot it. I came out of work to find my truck was stolen from a gated parking lot.
    I had to go back to the terminal to report it and the cop asked what was in the truck. I told him my toolbox, he wrote down a roll away and a thousand tools. He told me the insurance company would rake me over the coals so he added tons of stuff. I will never forget the man.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by gray wolf View Post
    OK, so Ruger had my pistol 4 days and I got a call from Keith the Tech at ruger
    And this was the conversation. He said that he honed all the cylinders and cleaned up the rings in the taper just before the throat begins, he said he hopes it helps with the leading in that area. Said he would replace the cylinder at no charge but wanted to try this first since all the other ones he looked at were the same,( fingers crossed here ) He also replace the recoil shield at the breach face ( didn't know they were a separate part, nice to know )
    The hammer was catching when you tried to lower it after it was cocked,
    he replaced a funked up part in the hammer and polished the sides of the hammer ( it rubbed on the frame, probly should have some hammer shims )
    They don't have them and I don't either, don't know how to take it apart anyway, wish I did. He said the cylinder side to side movement was normal
    so nothing done there. Normal is normal and I can live with normal.
    They will test fire and ship it back tomorrow so I should have it back Tues.
    So far Ruger service has been great and I hope to heck this helps the leading in the cylinder taper, the horrid lead ring.
    The proof will be in the shooting, I will have to find a spot with not to much snow and blast away a little.
    He tried to tell me if you shoot lead over 900 FPS you will get leading someplace in the gun. Don't worry, I didn't let him get away with that part of the conversation.
    You men have been great with all the help and suggestions you have offered. If I have any other problems I hope there small ones LOL So for now I will just hold on till I get Err back
    Hang in there sir, to make a long story short I had a RBH 7 1/2" in 45 colt . I could not get that gun to not lead the forceing cone and first inch.After cylinders had been reamed, forcing cone remmed to 11* ,lapped to remove restrictions, oversized base pin evry concieavable boolit size and powder combo still leaded.Sent back to ruger because of the stripped frame screw in front of the trigger guard, Ruger sent a new RBH that is deadly accurate will shoot any lead boolit I run through it hot or mild loads. I have not had to ream the cylinder or do any work at all on this gun. I think they must have a few master gunsmiths that custom build guns for people that have had a problem child such as you have described. I shoot heavy boolits and heavy powder charges of H-110 all the time so I cant be accused of going easy on this weapon. I hope you are as happy as I when you get it back.