WidenersRepackboxSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 45-70 Recoil in a 10lb rifle?

Boolit Buddy
    My saddle rifle goes 10.5 pounds. 69gr Goex Cartridge plus a 420gr bullet is about like a 20 gauge shotgun with high velocity load. Not bad at all.

Boolit Buddy
    60 grains of black ,,,,and a 405 grain boolit is a pretty light load....shouldn't be too bad even in a 10 pound rifle!
    Terry

Sounds light to me too. My 10 year old son shoots hotter stuff in a 7 lb Marlin.

Perm-Banned
    mikeS: it is easy to resolve the problem. buy a good-dead mule_ from brownells take off your butt plate and install it in the butt stock. then put a good slip over butt pad over the butt stock. i have a 11 pound target muzzle loader that shoots a 700 grain bullet in front of 100 grains of 2f. i never think about the recoil with this set up. have fun. johnson1942

Boolit Master

Johnson1942, if the product you're talking about is one of the recoil reducers that fits in the hole in the butt that most shotguns have to access the single bolt that holds on the butt, it won't work, as the buttstock is held on by a screw thru the tang, and the buttstock is solid.

From the replies I've gotten here, and the fact that I have a Shooter's Friend recoil pad on the rifle I think I have nothing to worry about. Now I just need to get to the range. The local county range (the only one nearby where I could shoot this rifle) isn't open everyday, and so far it seems that the days where I feel well enough to go to the range are always on days the range is closed! Oh well, I'll get there eventually.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Take a small sand bag and put it between the butt plate and shoulder. That will dampen the recoil.

Perm-Banned
    to mikeS: i just buy the right size wood drill bit and drill the hole needed, probably 7/8. my sons muzzle loader shoots a 400 grain bullet in front of 70 grains 2f black. same as a 45/70. i have a dead mule in its butt and recoil is nill. it doesnt weigh near what your gun does. the last thing a person should think about is recoil. have fun. johnson1942

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    Mike S., First you can't go go by what others tell you about themselves or others in the family as every person handles recoil in a different way.
    I shoot a 535 grain Postell with 70 grains of 2F in both a 12 pound Sharps and a 8pound Buffalo Classic.
    It is known fact in the BPCR world that a shotgun style stock will deliver the least felt recoil to the shooter.
    I would first consult with my Doctor and if he is not a shooter, find one that is. The reason is that he will have a much better take on what you are asking.
    I have to do the same thing when I need my eyes checked because of my Diabetes. If they don't shoot then they don't understand when I tell them I need to see the front sight very clear and the rear sight and target may be somewhat blurred.
    I would also consider having a Mercury type of Recoil reducer installed in your stock. As a Firearms instructor, we would do a free sight in for the public every year before deer season that lasted for three days. Myself and another instructor would shoot 200 or more guns a day for 12 hours. I used a PAST pad in the strongest strength and a sand bag between the stock and my shoulder. This is fine for sighting in but not practial for hunting.
    Any stock may be fitted for a recoil reducer, find some one with that experience.
    Depending on your range from target(DEER) you may also consider working up a reduced load which will kill with no problem.
    I wish you nothing but the best with your medical problems as I have a stack of them to contend with.
    About 6 years ago I was getting ready to start shooting in some of the bigger matches and travel to the RATON match as a observer to try and watch. I developed some very serious spinal problems and was told they could not help me. I still enjoy touching off a few rounds but lost my dream. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Master

45-70 Recoil in a 10lb rifle?

I understand about lost dreams, I've lost quite a few of them myself. I'm also diabetic, so understand what that means too. For some reason I can't seem to keep my sugar levels good I seem to swing hi to lo & lo to high, one day I went from 58 to over 500 in about 2 hours! When it's real hi I can't focus on anything, and that makes hitting the target difficult. I'm going to shoot the rifle as it is before I make any changed to it, as I might find it fine as is.
    - MikeS

Want to checkout my feedback? It's here:
    http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/...d.php?t=136410

Boolit Master
    I have shot a lot of similare loads in my C Sharps 1875 hunting rifle. I personally can fire up to 50 rounds from a bench rest without pain but if I load the same powder charge with 500 gr bullets I end up with a soar shoulder after 50 rounds. So I use a recoil shield for any BP loads with a larger bullet than 405 gr and also any smokeless loads that go over 1250 fps with and bullet over 300 gr

Boolit Mold
    I have a 45/70 saddle ring carbine that my wife shoot. All she shoots is factory ammo. Remington 300 gr. and hunting Shack 405 gr. and she loves this gun. She says the kick is less than her 12 ga.

Here is a link to 'Shooter's friend' pad which I use on all my heavy guns, and even 223 if shooting lots of rounds.
    http://www.buffaloarms.com/Recoil_Pa...M=recoil%20pad

Part of recovery is being in a positive mood, so maybe shooting your favorite gun can be considered part of recovery. Light bullets are the biggest single factor, so use good judgement.
    Also, recoil is cumulative.