MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRepackbox
Wideners
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Stihl owners here?

Moderator Emeritus

I can't help you pick out a new saw...as I am unfamilier with the new model numbers...But I will suggest that if you are considering a more powerful model, look for one that has the "Pro" designation...my story below.

I have two older stihl 024 saws with 16" bars. One of these was given to me by a friend who I was cutting wood for (before I started burning myself). He was replacing it with a new 026, he was worried that the old 024 was near it's death. I used it for years...and liked it enough to buy another one...a junker 024 from a Husky dealer that took it in on trade for a new Husky. I figured I'd use it for parts, but after I cleaned the tank and carb. the thing ran like new

6 or 7 years ago, I bought a new MS360 Pro with 20" bar. I use that the most, it cuts so much faster. The "Pro" series are lighter weight per the same HP...IIRC ? But this 360 Pro is still quite a bit heavier than an 024.

I burn about 3 cords a year, secondary heat for the house. I do cut more than that per year and sell the excess to help cover gas/oil and chains (I sold about 12 cords in the last two years, that was more than normal).

Lastly, with a properly sharpened chain, a 20" saw can cut a big log...a hundred+ year old white oak shown below.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

I'm a Husqvarna guy, my ported 395XP eats Stihl 660's for breakfast....but that being said I do a bunch of lumber milling with that saw.

Stihl makes a GREAT product and I have a lot of experience with saws and cutting so let me give you the best bit of advice I can.

Buy the BIGGEST saw that you yourself can COMFORTABLY handle for the money you can afford. You'll never be sorry you bought one that is a bit too big but if you buy one that is too small that can cost you.

Always buy the pro model if you can afford it, I'm unfamiliar with Stihl's models but BIL has Stihls and they are no slouched. I think he's got an MS361? He's very happy with it and it cuts right alongside my Husky 346XP Husky.

Jump over to www.arboristsite.com and ask those guys. There ate some REAL experts over there...

Art
    ”Only accurate rifles are interesting”
    ——Townsend Whelen

In a time of universal deceit , telling the truth is a revolutionary act
    —- George Orwell

Boolit Man
    one that has not been mentioned is the250 Guy bought it and didnt want it . Its a nice light saw . It has 18in bar and they use a different pitch chain. It will cut with anything out there. I like the way it starts. as it has the new inertia start. You dont have any jerk. cord pulls with NO force. and then it starts. I first got it and thought the rewind was broke. Pulled it and nothing sit it down and it started. WOW lot of the tree guy like them as easy to start in a tree. any you get try to get the Power Tip it makes big difference. You can plunge straight in and cut up or down if the log is dirty.
    Last edited by shotman4; 01-03-2013 at 10:38 PM.

When I had to commit to 100% wood heat three years ago, I bought a very used 029 at an auction of surplus county road department equipment. It has been a workhorse. Bar is 20", it's gotten a new chain, and I rebuilt the carb on general principles. My only complaint is that it's too easy to flood when starting cold. I've cut up oak logs so big I had to hit 'em from three sides with it, but it's maneuverable enough to trim with. I don't know what the current equivalent is, but I would never settle for anything but the same size or a bit bigger, and I will never even look at another brand after having this one.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I heat with wood only and my best advice is to make sure the saw has a decompression button. Makes starting easy.
    Where's the Kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth shattering Kaboom.

Marvin the Martian

Boolit Buddy
    Back about 30 years ago my sons and i had a firewood business. We had 3 of the old o41 farm boss saws. what a bear, it was a great cutter but wow was it heavy. Times have sure changed on what todays saws weigh . I now have a little 026 for my personal firewood cutting .Nice little saw for what i cut tks ken

Boolit Master
    My MS310 and 390 are good saws, so are my brothers 290's. I would wait on the new series till they get a track record. If you can find one I would go with a pro grade saw like the MS260 or 026, good power and lighter weight.

Boolit Grand Master

I have an 029 Farm Boss, great saw, highly recommended for ordinary firewood chores.
    I use it half the time at 10,000 ft and it still has the power to do good cutting, plenty
    down at sea level, too.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

I had one and traded it off for a car. The wife and I have a 440 and 660 on our wish list. We have a buddy here that is a still rep.

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post
    I have an 029 Farm Boss, great saw, highly recommended for ordinary firewood chores.
    I use it half the time at 10,000 ft and it still has the power to do good cutting, plenty
    down at sea level, too.

Bill
    How do you get to 10,000 feet in Kansas?
    Last edited by Just Duke; 01-01-2013 at 04:27 PM.

Boolit Master
    I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Purchased the 6-pack of Stihl full synthetic two-cycle to extend the warranty. Brought it home, mixed the gas (we have two stations in town that sell non-ethanol gas, always have about 10 gallons on hand for small engines). Filled the oil reservoir, filled the gas tank, pulled two times and away we go! Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!
    God gave us music that we might pray without words

Quote Originally Posted by selmerfan View Post
    I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Purchased the 6-pack of Stihl full synthetic two-cycle to extend the warranty. Brought it home, mixed the gas (we have two stations in town that sell non-ethanol gas, always have about 10 gallons on hand for small engines). Filled the oil reservoir, filled the gas tank, pulled two times and away we go! Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!
    Thats Great! they are a good little saw, not to heavy for all day use.
    Life's hard, even harder if your stupid.

In Remembrance
    Just something I have read several times, that would pertain to any saw. The pro sawyers claim that with the gas now days that they will not use gas over a week old.
    I have also read this on some sno machine sites. For no more than I use my saws anymore, I mix no more than two gallons at a time, and what I don't use goes into the forklift instead of holding it for next time.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it , I think you made a good choice.Later you may want to check out this site for extra chains and other equipment.They are good people to deal with.
    http://www.baileysonline.com/

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    Just something I have read several times, that would pertain to any saw. The pro sawyers claim that with the gas now days that they will not use gas over a week old.
    I have also read this on some sno machine sites. For no more than I use my saws anymore, I mix no more than two gallons at a time, and what I don't use goes into the forklift instead of holding it for next time.
    Good advice when having to use gas with ethanol.I always try to run the saw completely out of gas before I store it if longer than a week.This will keep your carb from getting gummed up.

Boolit Master
    Thank goodness I don't have to use gas with ethanol, and either Seafoam or Stabil goes into every can of gas when I fill it. Now - for the carb gumming up. I've read a variety of opinions on this. I used to be in the camp that ran everything out of gas when I went to store it, drain the tank, etc. on stuff like mowers for the winter, ice auger for the summer, two-cycle outboard for the winter. Then my father-in-law, who is a mechanic, couldn't believe that I was running them out of gas. He told me that the diaphragm in the carbs and fuel pumps on the small engines would dry up, the gaskets would dry up on the other carbs, etc. I never had a problem with them the way I had treated them before. So I started not running them out of gas. Haven't had a problem. I wonder if the issue doesn't have more to do with the quality of gas and the use of fuel stabilizers consistently? In any case, unless I'm going to leave them for months at a time, I just keep stabilizer in them and don't worry about it. Otherwise I shut them down as normal, then drain the gas tank. Haven't had a carb bulb varnish up on me yet, and no gummed carbs...wow, I hijacked my own thread!

Moderator Emeritus

Now - for the carb gumming up. I've read a variety of opinions on this. I used to be in the camp that ran everything out of gas when I went to store it, drain the tank, etc. on stuff like mowers for the winter, ice auger for the summer, two-cycle outboard for the winter. Then my father-in-law, who is a mechanic, couldn't believe that I was running them out of gas. He told me that the diaphragm in the carbs and fuel pumps on the small engines would dry up, the gaskets would dry up on the other carbs, etc.
    I'm quite sure there will NOT be a concensus on this one. Like you have done in the past, I too run all my seasonal small engines "DRY" of gas...expecailly gas/oil mix for 2 cycle.

BUT, I do have one exception. I recently bought a new to me 1987 vintage Troybilt Horse tiller with 8HP Kohler. This thing has a fuel pump inline (between the tank and the carb). If that Dries up, it won't pump gas til I "Prime it" (by removing the line and squirting gas into the line/pump). SO I just keep the lines full of seafoam treated non-oxiginated gas.

I've heard many people tell me about diaphrams drying out...I've never had that happen. since I'm not using any ethanol, that could be one reason. also I doubt you can really get a carb DRY. But maybe if it sits for longer than 6 months...maybe it'll dry out ? but aren't those diaphrams designed for that ?
    that's My 2¢,
    Jon
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I picked up the MS 290 Farmboss today with 18" bar. Bucked two dead ash trees this afternoon in about 15 minutes - runs like a top, buried the bar and it still kept going. I'm happy!
    You will be happy with this saw & with just a little care, as you seem to give your equipment, it will last a lifetime. My 028 would pull a full 16" sharp chain in oak if I didn't take the drags down to low. Here's my current 034 pulling a full 20" chain. If that old saw can do a 20" bar your new Stihl will have no trouble with an 18".

Boolit Master
    Keep your eyes open for gas stations that sell alcohol free gas or check with your local farm supply store about such stations. Many marinas also sell alcohol free gas as well.

Boolit Master
    Pretty sure that I've mentioned at least three times in this thread that we have two stations in town selling non-oxygenated gas. Benefit of living in Minnesota snowmobile and boat country!