Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I think I'm going to cry today -- RIP Lee Challenger...

Boolit Master
    Lee makes usable tools for a price that allows people to get started reloading who otherwise would never start. The tools are inexpensive and, except for the new press, lightweight, but they are not junk. A complete, usable set of tools and dies with powder and primers can be had for the cost of a Rockchucker press. If the new reloader gets hooked he can always upgrade, in the meantime he is reloading and SWMBO isn't concerned.

In 45 years of loading I've used C&H (Super C and dies), Lyman (Press, Tong tool, dies, lubrsizer), RCBS (Rockchucker, Partner press, dies, scales), Redding (T7 press, dies, scales, powder measure), as well as Lee (turret press, dies, powder measure, primer tool). The Lee tools are OK, some are excellent, and some, like the primer tool are the best you can get.

The linkage for the press is available direct from Lee for a reasonable price. Just Google "Lee Precision", find the press and click on the repair or replacement parts button.

Jerry Liles

Some wanted to see some more close-up pictures. Both toggles are ruined -- one is bent and the other broken. I was actually processing a bunch of 9mm, using the case expanding/powder charging die when it happened. It's a little stiff, as I have to open them up a bit to get the cast boolits to seat without shaving.

Someone asked about the 2nd set of holes in the toggle link. The holes are there in case you wanted to flip the toggle -- you could then have the handle angled "lefty" instead of the "righty" angle I had it set to. If you go "lefty", the cross bolt goes in the other available hole. But it certainly is a weak part. I honestly don't think it's aluminum. It's more like some sort of pot metal zinc alloy of some sort. I took it apart and it certainly has a "ring" like zinc.

Boolit Buddy
    What can you say. Pot metal brakes, but I have always had good luck getting parts from Lee. Whatever you do, weather it be a progressive or a turret, fix that lee and hang on to it. I have a Dillon that I do most of my loading on, but there is a lot of times when I still need my single stage press(rockchucker). If you are still considering going with a turret press, I'd take a look at a Redding. That is one nice tool. Looking at getting one myself. Call Lee and they will do the right thing. I've never had any problem out of them.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune. BUT! If that press were Blue it would be replaced for FREE, Not "half the cost of new"
    Im not knocking Lee, I use there dies and priming tool. But I never could get over how flimsy their presses are.
    IF THE 50 CALIBER CANT GET IT DONE ..............RUN!
    NRA LIFE MEMBER
    SCI MEMBER

Boolit Master
    IF my 20 year old ROCK CHUCKER II dies tomorrow I'll have a Lee Classic Cast by next Saturday. Better press, less money... if strength, features and money mean anything to yawl.

'If not, buy blue. They only cost maybe 5 times as much but you would get that $5 part replaced for free!

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    Thanks for the pictures, I can see where the pot metal Lee used is a cheap fix for an eventual problem to happen.

However, strongly recomend the Lee Classic cast single stage, or the Classic Cast turret model. They are really built much better than the Challenger press. I understand the frames made from railroad rails. And the handle linkage arrangement is super strong with huge bolts holding it all together.

Have had the Lee Classic Cast single stage going on 3 years. Even swaging lead bullets with it.

Plus, the price is right too at Midway...or, you can get a part from Lee and continue on with the Challenger.

Jim

Boolit Master

Wherever they hire Philosophers & Misanthropes...
    Too many moving parts...

I love my Lee Loaders. Use them more than anything else.

(but yeah, I have a Classic, Knuckle Crusher Hand Press and 1000 too...)
    A Democrat that owns Guns is like a Vegan that owns Cats...
    C2N14... because life is not energetic enough.
    Gott und Gewehr mit uns!...
    Death is only The End if you assume the Story is about You.
    1.618034 Fnord
    מנא, מנא, תקל, ופרסין - Daniel 5:25-28 - Got 7.62?

I use a 3 hole Turret from Lee. I traded in an RCBS and haven't looked back! I read a lot of Lee bashing on the 'net, but here's how I look at it. I have used a Herter's, a Baer Kodiak, a Lyman and a Lee Reloader press. I won't touch a Dillon, they're nice, but not on MY bench. I don't need press parts and cotter-pins in any more of my ammo. That's what I got from the last Dillon-loaded ammo I bought. (machine, not company!)
    For $300+, I can buy a LOT of Lee presses, probably get a new one out of pocket every 5 years, for the rest of my reloading life! And still not spend the same $. I can take my 3 hole turret out, screw a die in it UPSIDE0-DOWN for a flat surface, and completely crush a 30/06 brass to 357 mag length, and never a quiver from my LEE.
    I recently broke my old-fashioned link, made from the same zinc-whatchamacallit, called Lee and was told to send it back. I broke it sizing 300 Win Mag to 308 Norma Mag.
    7 days later I had a new one made from steel, free of charge, no questions asked except what it fit. And it didn't cost me $300+, either! I use their dies, too, when I buy new.
    Oh, AND I bought the press used for $15 at a gun shop.

Jon H in AZ
    Last edited by sledgehammer; 07-02-2007 at 02:02 AM. Reason: clarification of point
    If it doesn't fit, DON'T force it! Get a bigger HAMMER.

Devastating! a THREE DOLLAR repair!

bill

Boolit Master

I used to badmouth Lee a lot years ago. Even before I started reloading. I used to say things like If it isn't blue, it's junk. I didn't have a press of any color for that matter. So I ended up getting a Rock Chucker kit and really enjoy it. After I started I was still talking junk to a degree. I bought a set of Lee dies for the 7.5X55 Swiss GASP! I talked with a buddy who started in 67 and he said that the Lee dies were quite good. So I thought I'd give 'em a shot. They ARE good. So I promised myself to stop at dies, because ya know it is just some junky Lee stuff. Then Midway had a promotion for a Lee "c" frame press and a Lee manual for about 22 bucks. So I thought why not? I use the press for decapping and Lee lube sizing. THE HORROR! I realized my Uniflow powder measure wasn't very accurate for handgun powder and debated on the Little Dandy or........... The Lee Perfect Powder measure. Well the thought of having to buy all the different drums and rotors for the Dandy turned me off. So I ended up getting the PPM from Lee. I think it cost 18 bucks. The thing is about as close to perfect as you can get. It. The only thing that I did was loosen the handle tension. So I thought I was out of the woods with buying all this Lee "crap" when all of the sudden a buddy calls and says "hey man I got a tip on some reloading gear a guy is selling, do you want to come and look at it with me?" This buddy was just getting started so he wanted a press. So we went to the guy's house and his friend had a bunch of stuff on the tailgate of his truck. A bunch of Lyman stuff, a tumbler, his 2 scales were already sold, some loading blocks, and believe it or not a "crappy" Lee Classic Cast press. It was never mounted or used for that matter, and he wanted a whopping 30 dollars for it. It was missing the priming arm, but I use a hand held for priming anyway. No box, but it looked like it just came out of one. So I parted with my money and my buddy bought the used Lyman. I mounted the red "turd" to my bench next to the Rockchucker. It reloads handgun ammo where as the RCBS loads rifle ammo. The Classic Cast is 115 bucks on the Lee site BTW. I will never talk trash again nor will anything blue go on my bench. Not because they aren't good, but I like what I got. And if I had to do it all over again I would have gone Lee all the Way!!! So not to hijack or anything, but if you want to sell that "junky" broken Lee press let me know. I'll take it and have them send me the stuff to fix it, then I'll have another red turd on my bench!! P.S. RCBS casts there Rockchuckers in China!!! If I knew that I would never bought from them!!!
    Last edited by EMC45; 07-02-2007 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Screwed up

Boolit Master
    I'll second the Lee Classic Cast Turret, only problem I had was I broke a turret FL sizing 7mm RM and they told me to send it back and I had a new one in about a week, no charge. I load everything I have on it from 9mm to the 7mm RM, have a turret setup for each caliber, 1 setup to FL size as the caliber sets have collet neck sizers on them. 3 FL sizers and a universal depriming die. Another one I'm setting up for priming, it will have the Ram Prime ll on it with one for large and one for small primers, I'm lazy, so I don't have to change them from LP to SP

But go and get that one fixed and go for another, you won't be dissatisfied with the perchase what ever you buy.

so I can ,
    Only dumb question is the one not asked

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOoA

Boolit Buddy

I have to shake my head when people bash Lee stuff. My Lee Challenger press has been going strong for years and years and has loaded umpteen thousands of rounds without a hitch. When I wanted more speed I got the original 3-hole turret press. Same story--I've loaded thousands more rounds of ammo trouble-free with it. I upgraded to the Classic Cast Turret press last year because Midway was having a sale. It's a great press. My buddy got the hand-me-down "original" turret press and is happily loading ammo trouble-free, too.

I'd suggest the Classic Cast Turret press. You won't be sorry!

Randy, isn't that press still under warranty from Lee? Send the broken part(s) back, and I'm sure they'll send you new ones.

Boolit Buddy
    I have purchased the toggles for $3.00 each. That was when I didn't want to ask for a replacement part. It happened a second time when I got in a hurry and wasn't as careful as I should have been. It was absolutely MY fault. I called Lee and was sent a new set of toggles free. I'm a LOT more careful now. I've loaded many thousands of cases. No more problems. Lee always has and always will give you the most bang for your buck. I had a square deal B and gave it away. You do what you want to do and good luck. Keep loading and shooting.

Boolit Master At Heavens Range 2008 Swagerman's Avatar
    I just missed buying a Lee Challenger press kit for twenty bucks in the classifieds...and that was shipped. Drat!

Was going to use it for bullet sizing with the Lee red reservor container.

Jim

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range 2010

Lee Presses

get the Lee classic turret press its strong and inexpensive.get extra turrets to go with your die sets.the mistake most people make is using a tool for the wrong purpose.I broke a toggle on a lee turret.they sent me a steel replacement.I would
    not doubt most co learn as they go along.sometimes what seem to work doesnt.I think dillon presses are very good but there not for every one.the load and lock is a cure for a design failure.but never the less its a good press.I do have RCBS /LYMAN/BONANZA/HERTER and others.but LEE works for me.
    and to those bashing Lee be courteous some of us dont have a lot of money.we need more reloaders if we want to survive.were already seeing shortages of lead
    brass is going up and powder and primers.for too long gun owners have been too independant and to far out of touch.I have been reloading shooting far longer than most of you and I remember the "good old days"buy a gun walk down street get on bus go home.well its past my bed time so "good nite"9.45est

Boolit Master
    TAWILDCAT, I haven't been reloading far longer than you, but do remember the days when ya bought a gun, walked down the street, got on the bus, went home.
    Kids all over had guns, and not just in hunting season, either. No one worried if they had a WMD or IED. "Those" days are gone.....
    I currently frequent a gun store built above a grocery-store ...
    Upon purchase, you get to take your toy and march "THRU" the entire store, to exit and get to your car. You should see the looks of the PETA people, yuppies, Brady bunch, and other sheeple as you walk thru the store with your new "black rifle". And get the wink from the owner if he is working the managers station!
    Or even better, if he's in a playful mood, will walk behind you, holding your purchase, as you exit the store!! I have seen yuppies go white with fear when they witness this...............................Lee

Boolit Master
    Sorry that had nothing to do with presses, but with a name like "LEE" ya can't be all bad. My setups are all Lee. 3 different presses, all do what I want. Only problem I've had is with a decapping pin. Sent it back, got a new one a couple days later. Keep them clean, keep them greased. They're not "blues" or "greens" but the "red turds" have done me well for many years. Just my $0.02.......Lee

Thumbs up

I feel bad for ya, I just bought one from a friend for a few dollars , I don't know how but he lost the handle out of it , going to call lee about a new one, but on the other hand I do have a lee turret press the 3-hole and I like it but if you buy one I suggest the 4-hole turret for the taper crimp die

Good Luck copdills

Boolit Master

I'm starting to think of all the years I thought the color of a presses skin mattered were spent in vain. Cheap doesn't always equate junk.