RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: 7.5x55 Swiss dies

7.5x55 Swiss dies

I've been considering finally getting a set of dies for my K-31. Most manufactures have a set, wile Hornady has two. One of which is listed specifically for the K-31 and of course comes at a high price than the "standard" set. Other than the name on the box, what is, if any the difference between the two die sets?

Thanks in advance

Nora
    If you don't have the time to do it right, when are you going to find the time to fix it?

Vendor Sponsor

Nora: I'd call Hornaday and ask them what the exact difference is.

They might be small based dies for the K31 or just set the shoulder back a little farther than the standard dies do. The K31 doesn't have that much mechanical advantage when closing the bolt so it is going to be difficult to chamber rounds that are up at the high end of the FL sized length.

I'd still call Hornaday as my asnwer is only a guess.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

The K-31 dies are cut closer to the chamber dimensions of the typical K-31 rather than
    the older 1911 Swiss rifles. I have Lee, Redding and Hornady K-31 die sets and the
    Hornady dies produce the most accurate ammo for match shooting. I have a whole
    slew of Swiss shooting medals, most of them earned with ammo made in those Hornady
    dies. Seating boolits and bullets straight is extremely important to top accy and the
    Hornady normal dies are equipped with a sleeve type precision seater which costs
    a bunch extra from Redding or Bonanza/Forster.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    With one of the finest internal finishes in the industry, Hornady Custom Grade and Match Grade Dies provide a lifetime of reloading.
    Internal finish only. Both are 308's
    Last edited by John Boy; 12-29-2012 at 09:43 PM.
    Regards
    John

Boolit Grand Master
    Sizing is touchy with the K-31. If it's not right, the bolt may look closed but will not fire until unless case is properly sized.

Boolit Buddy
    I have here-to-fore never loaded for cast bullets in rifle. But I have always thought that if I were to do so Hornady dies would be the way to go because of the floating bullet sleeve.

If you need a fat bullet for a big freebore it is very easy to make the sleeve bigger, or make a sleeve if you have a lathe as I do. A hardened die would be a stinker to hone with a good hone, and once made big would be less useful for a different more standard rifle. With the Hornady you only need buy a new sleeve from Hornady.

Just my thoughts: for what they may be worth. I have loaded jacketed pistol bullets in 35 caliber rifles since the early 70's.